What's Catching You Fish?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
These two patterns accounted for all 4 of my hookups today, including 3 jumbo stockers, as well as 3 additional bumps. It was nice to get some consistent action on stripped flies. That said, 4.5 hours fished and all 4 hookups/bumps happened in a 30-40 minute period in the same cove of the lake I was fishing. Looking forward to some spring weather and more fishing chasing moving flies!

Sorry, no fish pics. I left my phone in my truck and was too lazy to kick my way back to the launch and remove my flippers to get it :).

15F472CA-02FF-4F7D-BC58-BF8783652C43.jpeg

75A38DFC-AB18-4FC3-8DE6-E598383F48B4.jpeg

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
The specimen is not noteworthy but it was my first lake caught fish on a chironomid so that was!

I doubt that I’ll fish this way a ton unless other methods are not producing. Not because I have an issue indicator fishing. I also know it takes a lot of skill and knowledge to be very successful fishing this way. I just love the tug of a streamer bight and the visual aspect of a dry fly eat. I also get super antsy watching an indicator for more than 10 seconds before feeling the need to recast. I might not have the patience to do it often either!

View attachment 53985

View attachment 53986
Find a spot with clear water and a clean bottom on a point or shoreline where the fish cruise mid day and early season. Sit still and don’t move nothing but your eyeballs. Toss that chronie out about 3’ below the indicator and see how the fish react. Sight fishing with indicators is a lot more interesting.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Find a spot with clear water and a clean bottom on a point or shoreline where the fish cruise mid day and early season. Sit still and don’t move nothing but your eyeballs. Toss that chronie out about 3’ below the indicator and see how the fish react. Sight fishing with indicators is a lot more interesting.
I posted about stalking the shorelines fishing stuff under indicators in the clear water last spring. I did learn a lot by not fishing farther than I could see and observing.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Headed out in the snow this morning with the intent to fish the salt and then a lake. Got to the first beach and the water was churned up and not appealing. I was bummed because I had not fished the salt in a couple of weeks but oh well. Instead headed to the lake. Two darkened up jumbo planters and 3 smaller planters to net. Lost another heavy fish and a couple more little guys in 3 hours of fishing.

I can’t wait for chum fry mania :)….

Cold start to the morning.

761D2152-3DFB-4E40-8729-CD408C854F14.jpeg

Flies that did the trick

A9886216-D59E-4A6C-B7FA-DE7962F6ED5C.jpeg

FB2EF583-250E-47CA-A43B-1EF0699D874A.jpeg

A few of the fish (first two photos are the same fish).

6854F797-BFDB-40CB-837B-E06C4FA5B96F.jpeg

50E4B89A-73C9-4E29-9B72-E1D185A523E6.jpeg

43BA6332-998F-44AF-90CA-0627ECAB2B96.jpeg

F9553E6A-6F54-4EF9-89FC-D02226731126.jpeg

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
These two were the ticket for me yesterday.....of course they were the only two I used so that might have had something to do with it :unsure:;)

IMG_E5707[1].JPG

Picked up this one shortly after putting in and then nuthin' for quite a while.....

IMG_E5701[1].JPG

.....and I wasn't sure if the fish weren't interested or if I simply couldn't focus between the wind and the cold.

Thought I took a good photo of the snow storm that rolled in around 1030 but evidently my fingertips were too cold to register with my phone.🥶

Things started to pick up a little later when a handful of these guys decided it was time for lunch....

IMG_E5702[1].JPG

But the beauty of the day was this bruiser....

IMG_E5703[1].JPG

....who warmed me up enough to rally to find a few more smaller guys but the wind and cold quickly crept back in and the call from my truck's heater was too much so that was it for the day.

A mere 5 or so hours, I must be getting old and soft :sneaky:

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Headed out in the snow this morning with the intent to fish the salt and then a lake. Got to the first beach and the water was churned up and not appealing. I was bummed because I had not fished the salt in a couple of weeks but oh well. Instead headed to the lake. Two darkened up jumbo planters and 3 smaller planters to net. Lost another heavy fish and a couple more little guys in 3 hours of fishing.

I can’t wait for chum fry mania :)….

Cold start to the morning.

View attachment 56026

Flies that did the trick

View attachment 56025

View attachment 56024

A few of the fish (first two photos are the same fish).

View attachment 56031

View attachment 56028

View attachment 56027

View attachment 56030
Wow....the markings on some of those fish are SOOOOOO pronounced. Is that a hatchery thing or more of an age thing?....or both?

Regardless, neat to see. (y)

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Wow....the markings on some of those fish are SOOOOOO pronounced. Is that a hatchery thing or more of an age thing?....or both?

Regardless, neat to see. (y)

That hatchery kicks out a lot of fish with those markings it seems. Not sure if it a genetics, age or fish quality thing.

Reactions: M_D

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
These two were the ticket for me yesterday.....of course they were the only two I used so that might have had something to do with it :unsure:;)

View attachment 56206

Picked up this one shortly after putting in and then nuthin' for quite a while.....

View attachment 56208

.....and I wasn't sure if the fish weren't interested or if I simply couldn't focus between the wind and the cold.

Thought I took a good photo of the snow storm that rolled in around 1030 but evidently my fingertips were too cold to register with my phone.🥶

Things started to pick up a little later when a handful of these guys decided it was time for lunch....

View attachment 56209

But the beauty of the day was this bruiser....

View attachment 56210

....who warmed me up enough to rally to find a few more smaller guys but the wind and cold quickly crept back in and the call from my truck's heater was too much so that was it for the day.

A mere 5 or so hours, I must be getting old and soft :sneaky:
Those leeches are the bomb. Very fishy looking.

Reactions: M_D

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Just about every spinner slinging, wobbler tossing, power bait dunkin' fisher came by and asked "what fly" and watched a bit because they were going fishless, and I was just slayin' 'em. Kept a pair to eat, but their faces as I slide a fish back in, priceless.
20230228_chansmml.jpg
20230228_ho.jpg
20230228_160125.jpg

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
but their faces as I slide a fish back in, priceless.

I have no problem keeping stockers but I LOVE watching peoples faces when they’re not used to seeing c&r, it’s hilarious. One time I was fishing with my dad and step mother, it was a stocked spring creek in n. California and I was out fishing them 8 to 1 but releasing them all. My wife was on the bank and got a front row seat to my step mom losing her shit “WHY DOES HE KEEP LETTING THEM GO?!”

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Fished a brown simiseal leech under a float as it's about the right size, shape and color to imitate the big fat dragon fly nymphs.
20230228_dr3.jpg
20230303_brnleech.jpg
which selectively found last years fish
20230303_holdover.jpg
while a black with orange head was like crack to the fresh ones.
20230303_ongblkleech.jpg
even had a fishin' buddy for a bit
20230303_frogjpg.jpg