What vise to buy

Takeum

Smolt
I’m in search of a really good rotary type vise to tie jigs with and possibly flies in the near future,,, I have looked at all of them as of late it seems and there’s no clear winner which is best for me,,,I’m currently tying with a Regal non rotary vise,, it works well but not very helpful when tying multiple jigs on a daily basis…so far my favorites are above my price range,,,the Law vise of course being my favorite, but then their lookalikes or copies as guys call them such as the hmh or Fnf talon vise….anybody find one vise above the rest for constant jigmaking or fly tying chores,,,, would like to hear from you pros out there Or guys who take their jig and fly tying to that next level,,, thanks Takeum

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If I was going to tie jigs and wooly buggers and the like... I would use a Norvise for the speed. You didn't say what your budget is.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
To me the Law clones are nice looking and provide a lot of access to the hook for tying, but the rotary function isn't super fast or efficient. When I think of tying jigs I think of cranking them out quick and IMO that isn't where those vises shine.

For true rotary it's hard to go wrong with a Renzetti Traveler or a Griffin Montana Mongoose. You can spend a lot more money for specific features if you need, but those two vises will cover most situations quite well.

Divad

Whitefish
+1 on Peak as @Zak mentioned. It’s the heaviest pedestal base (if you choose that option) and the little $10/15 or DIY knob on the rotary handle makes spinning fast and more controlled.

Norvise if you don’t mind spending the mula.

Reactions: Zak

Takeum

Smolt
Wow. Nice jigs Billy,,,,I do like those Renzetti vises,,especially the 4000.,, good to see it’s treating you well,,,

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Almost all rotary vises are great. I got a Norvise as a gift, and while the learning curve is pretty steep, the Norvise does things no other vise can do. Downside for me is it is pretty clunky to travel with.

There's plenty of video's out there on various vises. And it's showtime...I bet you'll see all the vise manufacturers you want in Albany in March.

RCF

Life of the Party
Almost all rotary vises are great. I got a Norvise as a gift, and while the learning curve is pretty steep, the Norvise does things no other vise can do. Downside for me is it is pretty clunky to travel with.

There's plenty of video's out there on various vises. And it's showtime...I bet you'll see all the vise manufacturers you want in Albany in March.

Watching them in action in person is extremely valuable. Then being able to ask questions and getting hands on experience is priceless.

Hand position, comfort and access to the various portions of the tool as well as fly will probably be the determining factors for selection ---> especially when you are tying lots of flies.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I own the Peak. It does as intended with no flash or looks. I do have a fondness to the aesthetics and functionality of the more pricier ones. Through observation I think @Nick Clayton has owned quite a few different ones. Therefore, I would take his advice as invaluable.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
One thing I don’t think has been said is once you figure out what you want, keep an eye out on the used market. Theres A LOT of used vices out there, wether it’s here, the old place or the FF FB group. A lot of people buy the nicest shit thinking they’re going to get into tying an 5 years later they’ve tied 4 wooly buggers and two pt nymphs and then proceed to sell it used. I bought my Renzetti Presentation for significantly less than a new Traveler would have cost and it was essentially brand new.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Here (obviously ;) ), eBay for sure, there’s a really active Facebook group of used gear (it’s the only reason I go to that cesspool).

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I own a Regal Medallion, have owned a Regal Revolution, have owned a saltwater Renzetti Traveler, and a Montana Mongoose.

Of all of them, I have only really loved the Norvise. My 7yo chose a Norvise for his go-to vise after having tried all the others, too. Reinforcing peacock herl is a cinch, fitting almost any size hook is a trifle with even the standard or small jaws, and dubbing loops and noodles are fantastic. In my opinion, the rotary function is second to none for ease of use and precision. The only downside is tying monstrosities like @clarkman does takes a bit more effort than with one of the V shaped rotaries.