What to tip

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Going on a bottomfish charter tomorrow and so far they haven't called it due to weather. 🤞 How much is typical tip now? I haven't been on one since I was a kid.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Tipping is always a sensitive subject but as someone who runs a charter boat and has deck handed I'll give ya most honest answer I can.

First and foremost tip should be based upon service, and not simply a guaranteed payment. If you don't feel the crew worked as hard as they could to provide you with a quality experience then that should absolutely be reflected in the tip. Tipping should also not be based on the number of fish caught. If the crew is trying their hardest, but the fish aren't cooperating, they are definitely not working any less and I'd argue in many ways are working harder on those days. For the deckhand especially, a poor tip based on the quality of fishing isn't fair.

All that said, 15-20% is pretty well industry standard down here in Westport. Adjust accordingly to the service and effort that was provided to you. A good charter crew is working their ass off for you in ways most people won't ever see. And they aren't making a ton of money doing it. (Not that any of us should be pitied of course lol. It's an amazing job and most of us do it because we love every second of it). But if you feel they aren't working hard for you, that should one hundred percent show up in any tip.

Where ya going out of?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Tipping is always a sensitive subject but as someone who runs a charter boat and has deck handed I'll give ya most honest answer I can.

First and foremost tip should be based upon service, and not simply a guaranteed payment. If you don't feel the crew worked as hard as they could to provide you with a quality experience then that should absolutely be reflected in the tip. Tipping should also not be based on the number of fish caught. If the crew is trying their hardest, but the fish aren't cooperating, they are definitely not working any less and I'd argue in many ways are working harder on those days. For the deckhand especially, a poor tip based on the quality of fishing isn't fair.

All that said, 15-20% is pretty well industry standard down here in Westport. Adjust accordingly to the service and effort that was provided to you. A good charter crew is working their ass off for you in ways most people won't ever see. And they aren't making a ton of money doing it. (Not that any of us should be pitied of course lol. It's an amazing job and most of us do it because we love every second of it). But if you feel they aren't working hard for you, that should one hundred percent show up in any tip.

Where ya going out of?
This morning out of Garibaldi, deep reef, 20ish? Miles off shore? The Northwestern, the crew did backflips for us it was great service.
Screenshot_20220914-122218_Maps.jpg

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

Where ya going out of?
Do you generally give it to the skipper and let him distribute it?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Do you generally give it to the skipper and let him distribute it?

There really isn't a set process, it kinda depends on the boat. Some boats the deckhand gets all the tips. Some boats it's split in some fashion. Best to just ask the skipper and/or the deckhand how they handle such things.

Ultimately giving it to the skipper is typically fine. Either they will tell you to give it directly to the deckhand, or they will make sure it gets split and distributed as per their arrangement. Assuming it's an honest captain lol.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
This is an underrated thread.
I feel like transparency in these things could actually get more people interested in getting on a charter or guided in general.

For instance, I’ve never been guided or on a charter. I don’t feel like I NEED to (lord knows I could get some help with my casting though but sometimes I’m interested but to be frank im to scared to ask how much it’ll cost. I feel like I’ve always lived by the “ if you have to ask, you can’t afford” motto so I just never asked. An example: @Cabezon was asking for someone to fill a seat on a tuna charter. I had the day off and nothing to do, but I was afraid to ask how much it would cost. Stupid? Maybe. Probably.