What plants, weeds and/or trees do you hate and why?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Those Ailanthus are a real scourge, one of the worst for sure. Once they get established it is tough to remove.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hates…with reluctance as i only realized in the last few years that i have nasty reactions to these: pennyroyal(herb) rue o’ grace( herb) English ivy… all cause skin reactions and blistering loss of top layer of skin and the most awful itching. I got an overdose of all of these working at clearing invading foliar encroachment from an ahole absent neighbor who… get this- is a doctor and allergist. He and his partner
Do not live there they just bought the house and property so he could practice medicine in Clark county Wa… the yard has gone to hell and used to be amazing a couple owners ago. Aholiness bad neighbor award winner.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Don't like hops in your beer? You may not like beer. Perhaps I could interest you in a gruit.
Actually I'm OK with hops in beer when it doesn't taste like the main, or only, ingredient. Gruit sounds interesting though.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Actually I'm OK with hops in beer when it doesn't taste like the main, or only, ingredient. Gruit sounds interesting though.
I thought barley, hops, and water are THE ingredients in beer. So I think there's gotta' be hops. What I don't care for are the double hop and triple hop ales. I'm all about balance. Well that and I prefer dark beer like amber or Scotch ale.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I thought barley, hops, and water are THE ingredients in beer. So I think there's gotta' be hops. What I don't care for are the double hop and triple hop ales. I'm all about balance. Well that and I prefer dark beer like amber or Scotch ale.
Exactly!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When all the rest of the world is dead there will still be horsetails. The world and my yards most stubborn resident. Nothing kills them.

A pitch fork and rake are the only weapons I've found effective. If temporarily. Miss one root (rhyzome?) fragment and they'll be back.

But yeah, you're probably right. They've been around in one form or another for hundreds of millions of years. One of the very first plants to colonize land. Good bet they'll be among the last.

Reactions: Zak

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Poison ivy (poison oak around here). There are many primo spots on the lower Deschutes I leave unfished because I don't want to mess with the poison oak. I developed a hatred of poison ivy doing USGS field work in the Southeast, and living there. The stuff is EVERYWHERE. Birds eat the berries, so it always appears in your yard. The wet side of the PNW is a paradise, I've only seen poison oak in a couple places in the cascades. I had a live and let live attitude with many noxious plants and critters around stream gages, but poison ivy, yellowjackets, and fire ants were terminated by any chemical means necessary, and with extreme prejudice. Everything else I left alone.

The "plant hatred" I developed living here is the tree of heaven. I can't believe how many people just let them grow in their yard.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I like this thread, as I kill invasive plants for the feds for a living. There's so many around here, but the bane of my my existence is Kochia, Russian Thistle, and Mare's Tail. They're pesticide resistant, and I have thousands of acres I have to try to manage them.
Do you deal with the yellow star thistle? That stuff made working in the wilds of columbia county miserable. As others have said, working in areas of (and cycling around) puncture vine is not fun either.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Poison ivy (poison oak around here). There are many primo spots on the lower Deschutes I leave unfished because I don't want to mess with the poison oak. I developed a hatred of poison ivy doing USGS field work in the Southeast, and living there. The stuff is EVERYWHERE. Birds eat the berries, so it always appears in your yard. The wet side of the PNW is a paradise, I've only seen poison oak in a couple places in the cascades. I had a live and let live attitude with many noxious plants and critters around stream gages, but poison ivy, yellowjackets, and fire ants were terminated by any chemical means necessary, and with extreme prejudice. Everything else I left alone.

The "plant hatred" I developed living here is the tree of heaven. I can't believe how many people just let them grow in their yard.
Paulonia-tree of heaven can get gigantic, limbs die off break and fall in storms and might even be worse than sumac for popping up everywhere but they do have those beautiful purple blooms

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
A neighbor with a laurel that does not maintain it…is major suckage. I prune the invasiveness over our fence regularly and not great for the compost either.
Our neighbor just planted a row of them across the alley from us. 😫

I guess if you don’t know, you don’t know. I am already cursing the dang things