What plants, weeds and/or trees do you hate and why?

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Whitetop. Takes over huge tracts in EO. Spreads via roots or seeds, and takes a special herbicide to kill. No redeeming values at all. KInapweed when I was in Montana.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I love our southern magnolia tree, i hate the daily dropping of leaves. Its a messy tree.
Those fallen leaves don’t go anywhere, either, not anytime soon anyway. But the blooms do have an unbeatable fragrance and the green foliage is pretty.

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
Blackberries. The western WA landscape would be so different without them. Nettles are another plant I'm not too fond of, but they are a distant second. I'll never plant another wisteria. After wrestling with one for 20+ years I finally cut ours down, but the memory lingers. It is still sending up sprouts two years later. Other annoying plants on my list are English ivy, butter cups, wild morning glory, holly, and scotch broom. Goat heads were another hated plant from my New Mexico days.

RCF

Life of the Party
^^^ Scotch Broom - that is something I have not thought about in decades. It was all over the place when growing up in Burien. So many beautiful colors too. Come to think about it I do not remember seeing it around in 30+ years. Does it still exist in Western WA.?

BriGuy

Life of the Party
^^^ Scotch Broom - that is something I have not thought about in decades. It was all over the place when growing up in Burien. So many beautiful colors too. Come to think about it I do not remember seeing it around in 30+ years. Does it still exist in Western WA.?
Come on down to Thurston County. Plenty of it around here.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I5 through central Sound is like a huge ribbon of Scotch Broom; it extends east out 90 as well. The highways of Kitsap have old growth Scotch Broom along them. And, it’s making appearances on the gravel bars of the Sauk amongst other places.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Knapweed and cheatgrass…oh, and thistle. Wait, I forgot hound’s tongue.

RCF

Life of the Party
Poison Oak. My dad and I were on a duck hunting trip in EWA. We settled down in some bushes and waited for evening return of the ducks. I noticed we were sitting in a patch of poison oak. Dad said don't worry, it is all dried out. You can tell by looking at the color of the leaves. Well the next day - you guessed it. Oh by the way, do not take a piss after sitting in poison oak.

TylerSadowski

Just Hatched
Scotch broom, butterfly bush, knotweed, blackberry, wild rose, nettles, and Timothy hay all make for a snot filled day. Simms needs to figure out gravel guards that don't get chewed up by black berry bush too. Wild rose and blackcaps get the love for being locals, even if they shred you.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm not a huge fan of devil's club, poison oak or nettles. I don't care for any sort of blackberry bush either unless it's on someone else's property and I can pick the fruit.

I worked on Afognak island. It is the dominant undergrowth there. It was absolutely impressive as it was literally covering every square inch of g ground. It was so tall that it wasn't as bad as it looked from the plane. One could move underneath it. I love the smell of it.

Xoxo

I do not know what kind of tree it is. I like it, but in the past two years it’s shed these horrible little elongated pods that i call “tree poops”. This year i have raked up dozens of yard bags of them. Here is one of the after photo, having raked them up the first time. 49FD81FE-8F85-4A35-83EB-56AC0BB8C612.jpeg

And here it is a week later, when i had to do it again. We went through this one more time, but i didn’t take photos after Nov. 7.

I have lived here for 30 years and i don’t remember this ever happening like this until the last few years. I have video of myself that our Arlo security camera caught of me opening the front door and after seeing this, this the cussing up a storm. Luckily we have new gutters than have a guard on them.
2A461423-10B0-4752-9D4F-D70D6AE4B37B.jpeg

Xoxo

It sure does! This is on my walking route every spring. I usually avoid it because I’m so allergic to it but one time i just had to take a photo.
D6383EAB-5A49-4176-8C3D-316E8A9F3179.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
When we bought our place, the garden area was thick with purslane. I learned that this plant when pulled up, must be disposed of as it will grow, and drop seeds even without roots in soil. It took several years to rid our garden of it.

ABITNF

Steelhead
Scotch Broom.

In his two volume history of BC, G.P.V. Akrigg states that an early settler to the area of southern Vancouver Island named Grant was visited by a friend from Scotland who was on his way to the Sandwich Islands. He gave Grant a few Broom seeds so that Grant could see them bloom in spring and be reminded of his Scottish homeland. Now broom is found from Alaska to California.

Thanks a lot!

Replicant

Steelhead
Russian olive, Goathead's and blackberries are a constant battle for me with 5 + acres on the Yak. More disturbing is the ever present, Poison Hemlock and the more recent Tree of Heaven that is nearly impossible to get rid of.