What plants, weeds and/or trees do you hate and why?

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
Chimacum Woods recently had a sale on some of their larger stock/specimen type plants...I was sure tempted to drop some coin on a few big dogs to flesh out some beds but remembered I can barely keep up with what I have.
Do you live in the Chimacum area? I have family there and enjoy getting back to visit/fish!

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Harvested the last of my "Summer carrots" this morning. I planted these in April. Nantes variety. They keep surprisingly well, stored in the ground. Now I'll start on my "Winter" patch which I started in June. They'll keep until the weather warms when they will start to bolt.
I've bought and received this year's seeds from Territorial and mapped this years plan. Im ready. I'll start storage onions in 6 weeks under a cloche.

Edit: Opps, this is supposed to be in the Garden Thread wherever it's gone off to!

Attachments

• 20230106_095550.jpg
    20230106_095550.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 3

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
Locust trees that put up offspring in the neighboring lawn.

here’s the thing. on my neIghbors lot it’s a beautiful Twisty Baby locust, but those are grafted on common black locust root stock, so the suckers are thorny black locust if not kept from growing.

j

Chris Bellows

Steelhead
I used to hate many mentioned when I lived in the PNW. Currently sand spurs are my nemesis. Track everywhere and hurt like a mutha when you step on them. Just moved away and somehow one tracked onto the carpet in our new apartment.

Hog weed. This plant is extremely dangerous. The "sap" will get into your skin. Later,,, (only) when exposed to sunlight, your skin will burn, truly burn! This can be "life changing" for some people that "encounter" this plant (but not typically). The toxic effect can last up to seven years or longer. In some cases the patient becomes simply "allergic" to sunshine, and the burns are far more serious than "regular" sunburns. I see this plant all over Fidalgo Island. Clearing land and burning this plant is extremely dangerous. A quick google search will provide photos. Trust me, Hog Weed is no joke, I know a very good man that was destroyed by this plant.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Hog weed. This plant is extremely dangerous. The "sap" will get into your skin. Later,,, (only) when exposed to sunlight, your skin will burn, truly burn! This can be "life changing" for some people that "encounter" this plant (but not typically). The toxic effect can last up to seven years or longer. In some cases the patient becomes simply "allergic" to sunshine, and the burns are far more serious than "regular" sunburns. I see this plant all over Fidalgo Island. Clearing land and burning this plant is extremely dangerous. A quick google search will provide photos. Trust me, Hog Weed is no joke, I know a very good man that was destroyed by this plant.
All over Fidalgo? Are you sure you aren’t seeing cow parsnip (which is native) and confusing it with giant hogweed?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Wild Parsnip, which also causes severe burns from sunlight, looks a lot like Giant Hog Weed.

They look similar, but I guess cow parsnip is much less reactive. (I have no firsthand experience and am not an expert. But I’ve seen lots of cow parsnip!) There are all kinds of traditional medicinal uses for cow parsnip, and it can be great animal forage, so there are obviously some major differences.

Reactions: Zak

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
A little round up and some Chemo and then there's no needs to worry about plants of any kind..

Throughout my life I've had a love hate relationship with vine maples.

One minute it's saving you from a deadly plunge into into a frozen stream 1000 feet below you. The next. It's tripping you making you face plant into a sharpened Staub of a fir branch that's aiming for your eyeball.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
They look similar, but I guess cow parsnip is much less reactive. (I have no firsthand experience and am not an expert. But I’ve seen lots of cow parsnip!) There are all kinds of traditional medicinal uses for cow parsnip, and it can be great animal forage, so there are obviously some major differences.
Cow parsnip is different than wild parsnip. Maybe wild parsnip is only a thing back east (but it sure is a problem there!).