What have you done for your boat lately?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I bought this boat used this Winter. It's a dozen years old. The original owner put epoxy with traction additive on the floor. The bottom exterior only is glassed for protection without paint. I went ahead and painted the bottom also. The exterior sides were original epoxy paint. I went over the entire boat twice with an orbital sander using 80 grit paper. Some areas sanded pretty well but other spots, like the floor, were bulletproof. At least I got the loose material off. I dusted it with a towel and then scrubed it with alcohol to remove the fine dust. 2 layers of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. I read about it on some boating blogs. It's thick and tenacious and comes well respected even on wood. One quart did the entire boat.. The paint is Rustoleum Top Side Marine paint. 2 layers. It took 1-1/2 quart. Top Side paint is fine on the bottom also as long as it isn't left submerged more than 4 or five days. This boat will be used only as a daytripper. On the wood surfaces I used Verathane Spar Varnish semi gloss. It finishes darker than clear. 2 coats. 1 quart. So hopefully this old boy will continue float for a few more years.
Thanks Dan, that's the second thumbs up on Top Side Marine paint. I really like how your seat is configured with the 360 degree swivel option.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
6718A721-C86E-4FAA-A8EB-F9CC371EDC0B.jpeg
I finally (after months of sitting on the materials) got around to installing a DIY, removable, anchor trolley. I did splurge a bit on the yakgear cleat. After totaling everything up, it probably would have been cheaper to have just bought a kit. But what fun is that…

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Finished the redo of the adjustable bow seat, laminated the wood (ash and redcedar) for the paddle shaft blanks, and while the epoxy is drying I played around with making straps for the spare paddle. Still not sure about leather, and these aren’t the finished product, but it is a front runner at the moment.

Anyone have any ideas?

5F1E926C-A1BA-4B01-ABD3-638166219656.jpeg

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Finished the redo of the adjustable bow seat, laminated the wood (ash and redcedar) for the paddle shaft blanks, and while the epoxy is drying I played around with making straps for the spare paddle. Still not sure about leather, and these aren’t the finished product, but it is a front runner at the moment.

Anyone have any ideas?

View attachment 59048
How about velcro straps? That would go against the aesthetics though.
You can also glue a wooden "hook" below and do a bungee loop to fasten it against the side so it won't knock around while moving.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
How about velcro straps? That would go against the aesthetics though.
You can also glue a wooden "hook" below and do a bungee loop to fasten it against the side so it won't knock around while moving.
I like the wooden hook idea. Am also playing with stringing shock cord under the thwart and yoke, and hanging it there.

Phone sketch, but something like this? Was thinking of rod holders at one point.
3999FD30-C7E4-4FFA-8CD9-47F46B3FF207.jpeg

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Jake, do you know what the approximate weight of your finished canoe is going to be? I'm interested in a comparison between the weight of canoes using modern materials (plastic roto mold, glass, kevlar) vs. wood.
Aside from oars, and a few accessories like cupholders that have yet to be built, the boat is now finished enough for sea trials (just in time for April opener) and seems to weigh a little over 65 lbs.

44000E9E-314D-4A7A-9CAC-91513938FB38.jpeg

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Absolutely beautiful! How many tears will you shed the first time you scrape the hull on a rock??
Ha. Fortunately the first scratch has already been put in it. Easy repair next winter when it’s time to revarnish, though. Part of the day of maintenance I imagine it will need each winter.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Aside from oars, and a few accessories like cupholders that have yet to be built, the boat is now finished enough for sea trials (just in time for April opener) and seems to weigh a little over 65 lbs.

View attachment 59083
I missed the beginning of your build. Did you glass the outer hull?
My wooden skiff had 6oz glass in and out with heavy glass reinforcement where panels meet and filet.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The first time I took our wood and fiberglass canoe on a 50-miler trip with my son’s Boy Scout troop, I was paranoid and would only let my son paddle it with me. After more than a few scrapes, on the next 50-miler trip I let all the scouts paddle it on their own. As you said, varnish is an easy fix and it probably needs a new coat anyway every couple of years. I like your spare paddle storage idea and will copy it. Thanks!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I missed the beginning of your build. Did you glass the outer hull?
My wooden skiff had 6oz glass in and out with heavy glass reinforcement where panels meet and filet.
I did. One full layer of 6oz S glass, one more partial layer on the football. Ditto the inside.

Also glassed the air chambers and the seat attachment points.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The first time I took our wood and fiberglass canoe on a 50-miler trip with my son’s Boy Scout troop, I was paranoid and would only let my son paddle it with me. After more than a few scrapes, on the next 50-miler trip I let all the scouts paddle it on their own.
Yeah, that first scratch thing is real. When I was younger and working construction one of the other young guys bought a brand new truck and was babying it and being paranoid about scratching it on the job site. One of the old timers walked over to it and hit the bed of it with the claw of a hammer. "You're welcome" he said.
I like your spare paddle storage idea and will copy it. Thanks!
Lol. Only thank me if it works. I’ve never done leather crafting before.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Beautiful boat.

Eventually I would like to take on a project like that. Years down the road.
Hopefully cedar prices settle down some lol (they wont).

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Beautiful boat.

Eventually I would like to take on a project like that. Years down the road.
Hopefully cedar prices settle down some lol (they wont).
Thank you.

It's actually not that bad. I'd planned $2000 to buy an Old Town Penobscot 17'4" canoe (boat + paddles + misc. equipment).

The wood canoe (and paddles and misc) came in well under that.

Of course, it took ~255 hours more than the Old Town to acquire, but I imagine a person could do it a lot faster. Lots of head scratching, do-overs, and training the help.

67587A3C-0868-424F-B174-F31638047F72.jpeg