What are your plans for October and November?

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Sounds awesome, best of luck on those hunts! It’s starting to get cold. Hopefully it will have critters moving.
Thanks Bob! We’ve had quite a bit of snow already in N. Idaho.Last week I was in knee deep snow above 4,000’. That snow fell 2 weeks ago. I cant imagine what I’ll see Friday after the moisture we’ve already received this week.

Replicant

Steelhead
Maybe geese. I've been out two days for pheasants/upland birds on public land here east of the CBP. I did see a meadowlark. And a quail gave me the wing from inside a hawthore thicket. Otherwise, nothing. Dugan had fun.

I think the days of wild bird hunting in Eastern Washington are over. My son and son-in-law don't hunt, and there's no sense in teaching my grandson. It's just a guess, but he's not gonna think busting coulees for 5 days to see a hen go over the ridge is much fun. And I don't think private pheasant ranches are much fun. I'd rather buy a chicken.

Good on ya guys who can go to MT or the Dakotas, and good for you guys above who got some nice animals.
Sad to hear this. I haven't tried upland in WA in about ten years, and while I grew up duck hunting, I don't pursue it anymore, because I can't stand sitting still and I'm not much of a fan of duck meat. Montana was great, but it took some work and diligence to figure it out. And then, there is luck. The kind of luck, where you are in a cafe, eating lunch and everyone in there is staring at you, because for some reason, they just know you aren't a local. But then the 89 year old farmer speaks up and asks "Whatchoo boys doin?" "Looking for birds", I answer. He nods his head, walks over to our table and writes his number on a paper napkin, and says "Call me in the morning". And we do, and have an epic day.

I was supposed to be on the road to South Dakota right now. Last night I had the car packed, everything set, license purchased, lodging booked, schedule cleared, and then my buddy called me to tell me that the other two members of our party had to back out and that we need to reschedule. Their reasons were more than valid, but that doesn't keep me from feeling crushed. We talked this morning and managed to reschedule for December, and might try to slip something else in between now and then, but now my schedule is a scramble.

The irony in all of this, is that I walk my dog every morning, and every morning, we flush a covey of quail. A couple weeks ago, we flushed a rooster. :rolleyes: And no, I can't hunt them.

Hem

Life of the Party
Another crazy day with some great guys! I’m totally hooked on duck hunting. View attachment 40427View attachment 40428View attachment 40429
That looks like SO much fun. I miss waterfowl hunting.
My local spots turned hands, and that was that. I kept all my duck decoys, though.
Used to hunt field geese a bunch. I had 60 shells of sorts. They took up so much space, and in a transition stage between homes I sold them all. I still feel decoying ducks and geese is incredibly fun, but honestly I only cared to eat them sparingly...it just didn't seem right to stack them up when I couldn't eat them all.
Deep down I really miss the hunting, being on the water, frigid temps.
Congrats on all your adventures.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
My local spots turned hands, and that was that. I kept all my duck decoys, though.
Used to hunt field geese a bunch. I had 60 shells of sorts. They took up so much space, and in a transition stage between homes I sold them all. I still feel decoying ducks and geese is incredibly fun, but honestly I only cared to eat them sparingly...it just didn't seem right to stack them up when I couldn't eat them all.
Thank you sir! I’ve got an itching feeling that I’m going to start collecting gear and starting yet another hobby… It was so much fun, with a lot of shooting. I’ve got a bunch of duck breast’s that I’m coming up with ideas on how to cook. I even skinned a few out to salt for they tying desk, like I need any more😂

Reactions: Hem

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
You sound exactly like me when I tell people why I dont hunt ducks anymore. Love decoying them, a mallard with the landing gear down is as good as a dry fly eat but releasing them doesnt do it for me and I dont like eating them enough. I have tried to "catch and release" by calling them in without a gun but it really doesnt do the trick. Need to see the feather cloud and hear the splash.

Hem

Life of the Party
You sound exactly like me when I tell people why I dont hunt ducks anymore. Love decoying them, a mallard with the landing gear down is as good as a dry fly eat but releasing them doesnt do it for me and I dont like eating them enough. I have tried to "catch and release" by calling them in without a gun but it really doesnt do the trick. Need to see the feather cloud and hear the splash.
Yep...you nailed it.
Sorry, I have to laugh about the calling them in without a gun.
Also like the sound of geese hitting the turf.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I gave it up when I moved to California in the ‘80’s. It’s a shit show trying to get on decent land. Also, I came to realize working the dogs was my favorite part; drifting the upper Kenai with a propane heater in the bow and an eager dog who was unfazed by 34 degree water and pulling in to swing a big ugly occasionally, never seeing another soul, I was ruined.

HOG

GOTY’s mum’s favorite ghillie
Just got out of the woods from helping one of my best friends with his WA moose tag. Pics will be all over the internet soon. It’s an absolute dinosaur.
OK county one? Sounds like possible new state record

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
That’s most likely the one. It was probably seen by a lot of OK county folks but it was actually shot in Ferry County. I have been waiting for Joe to post his pics before I post one. He doesn’t give a crap about the record but I hope he gets it. It’s going to be really close. I’m going to say it will be +/- a few inches either way.

HOG

GOTY’s mum’s favorite ghillie
That’s most likely the one. It was probably seen by a lot of OK county folks but it was actually shot in Ferry County. I have been waiting for Joe to post his pics before I post one. He doesn’t give a crap about the record but I hope he gets it. It’s going to be really close. I’m going to say it will be +/- a few inches either way.
Yep, OK tag but ferry county, didn’t wanna say the lake name…