What Are Your Canoe "Must Haves"?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just add outriggers. Problem solved... LOL
I’ve thought about it, and even drew up plans, but I’ve always wanted to try clinker/lapstrake. Plus, I've got a 2 hp motor from the 50's with nothing to put it on.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I know you know but it never hurts saying it again: ---> a good first aid kit.
Agreed. Especially with my youngest. I have two in my car, one permanently in my backpack, and every other pack I own.

The kid is, unfortunately, fearless and more than a little addicted to adrenaline.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Beverage holders can be nice, especially if you want something that doesn’t come out of a Nalgene.

• Love
Reactions: Zak

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Floatation bags lashed in bow and stern.

Also, look into Squid Anchor. Essentially a mesh bag with flukes and anchor line that you fill with local river rocks to get the weight you want. Empty when done, roll it up and stash it in your gear bag.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have these wood pieces with bolts and butterfly nuts that lock to the gunwales and hold my Scottie mounts. One of them has a handy drink holder that I also hang flies from.

View attachment 50746
Like the folding seat back, too.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have these wood pieces with bolts and butterfly nuts that lock to the gunwales and hold my Scottie mounts. One of them has a handy drink holder that I also hang flies from.

View attachment 50746
I'd love to see another photo of those clamps you built. I'd like to construct something where the hardware is hidden, and am in the "gathering ideas" stage.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'd love to see another photo of those clamps you built. I'd like to construct something where the hardware is hidden, and am in the "gathering ideas" stage.
I wish I could say I built them, but I bought them from the folks who built my boat. The larger clamp has a strip of wood underneath the gunwale with two threaded posts; the smaller clamp has just a threaded post with a brass crosspiece.

Hopefully, these pictures are self explanatory. Let me know if you want me to take them apart and show your dissembled pictures. You can also come over and check them out or borrow them to use as templates. PXL_20230301_005000035.jpg
PXL_20230301_005012188.MP.jpg
PXL_20230301_005043683.jpg
PXL_20230301_005020760.jpg
Pro tip: pick up a few spare butterfly nuts, they sink fast when you drop one!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I wish I could say I built them, but I bought them from the folks who built my boat. The larger clamp has a strip of wood underneath the gunwale with two threaded posts; the smaller clamp has just a threaded post with a brass crosspiece.

Hopefully, these pictures are self explanatory. Let me know if you want me to take them apart and show your dissembled pictures. You can also come over and check them out or borrow them to use as templates. View attachment 56277
View attachment 56278
View attachment 56280
View attachment 56281
Pro tip: pick up a few spare butterfly nuts, they sink fast when you drop one!
Perfect, thanks!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Welcome! Hope we can take our boats out together!
If I can stop adding accessories to build, I'd love that.

Getting close. Just...

Two of these Scotty mount mount... things:
8ADC4A00-25DF-43EA-97D2-012053D6D90B.jpeg
two more paddles,
two seats,
bronze bow and stern strips,
a boat net,
an anchor mount,
a motor mount,
and two cedar strip outriggers with armature.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
If I can stop adding accessories to build, I'd love that.

Getting close. Just...

Two of these Scotty mount mount... things:
View attachment 56289
two more paddles,
two seats,
bronze bow and stern strips,
a boat net,
an anchor mount,
a motor mount,
and two cedar strip outriggers with armature.
I personally wouldn't want any part of the clamp to extend beyond the outside edge of the boat (it looks like the short side of your L-shaped piece is outside the boat). I think my fly line would get jammed up in there. Also, I like being able to move the clamp around on the water without tools, depending on whether I sitting in the middle seat (solo rowing) or one of the end seats (with company). The accessible butterfly nuts are good for that.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I personally wouldn't want any part of the clamp to extend beyond the outside edge of the boat (it looks like the short side of your L-shaped piece is outside the boat). I think my fly line would get jammed up in there. Also, I like being able to move the clamp around on the water without tools, depending on whether I sitting in the middle seat (solo rowing) or one of the end seats (with company). The accessible butterfly nuts are good for that.
Good point, and perhaps not necessary to grip the outside. As for the access to the wing nuts, it's superficial and there have been concessions made on this boat already (bolts instead of pinned mortise and tenon for the thwart and yoke, plastic hatches instead of wood) but I'd like to keep what hardware is visible to an absolute minimum.

IMG_1357.jpg

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Just a thought...
Agreed. Especially with my youngest. I have two in my car, one permanently in my backpack, and every other pack I own.

The kid is, unfortunately, fearless and more than a little addicted to adrenaline.
Maybe covered previously (and somewhat related to safety/injury prevention) wading footwear kept in the canoe (especially for children) are essential when the craft is used during warm weather.

Our kids loved scrambling beaches and swimming...and you can never tell where some yoyo broke bottles or discarded other stuff in or near a lake. In fact my daughter once suffered a severe laceration on the bottom of her foot from stepping on a submerged beaver chewed sapling. Her aquasox had been left at home, instead of the canoe. Fortunately we had a firstaid kit with steristrips to keep the cut held together until we could get her foot sutured up at minor emergency.

Anyway...just a thought.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just a thought...
Maybe covered previously (and somewhat related to safety/injury prevention) wading footwear kept in the canoe (especially for children) are essential when the craft is used during warm weather.

Our kids loved scrambling beaches and swimming...and you can never tell where some yoyo broke bottles or discarded other stuff in or near a lake. In fact my daughter once suffered a severe laceration on the bottom of her foot from stepping on a submerged beaver chewed sapling. Her aquasox had been left at home, instead of the canoe. Fortunately we had a firstaid kit with steristrips to keep the cut held together until we could get her foot sutured up at minor emergency.

Anyway...just a thought.

Great advise, thanks!

We’ve all got water shoes, so I’ll ensure we wear them.

That sounds painful, glad she was able to escape with relatively minimal damage.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Someone else to row it, of course!
Once you've got fake paddling down pat you've got it made. Low effort course correcting J-strokes in the stern, and periodic bitching about a headwind will make the bow paddler do most of the real work.

My kids were teenagers before they figured out the old man was mostly coasting. I did it for their own good so they'd grow up strong.

Last edited: