What Are Your Canoe "Must Haves"?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The seat back suggestion is a good one, my wife loves them. If the kids are going to sit in the middle and play (small toys and snacks?), look over the side, or whatever, I like to use a blue ensolite foam sleeping pad on the floor. Keeps noise down too. Not a must have but nice. Does double duty as it's comfortable to sit on on shore as well.
Thank you.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I disagree. That thing is beautiful. I’d love to see it up close sometime. I like how you attached the decks, and I also like your scuppers—much larger than what I put on my canoe, and I imagine I could have saved a bunch more weight if I’d done that. Did you use blocks to make the scuppers, or did you carve the inner gunwhale?

Thank you for the advice about the padded straps, paddle, and cart.
It was a stitch and glue kit from Pygmy Boats in Port Townsend. I searched this morning and saw that the owner retired in 2020 and the business is closed. The scuppers are mahogany blocks in between the ash gunnels. Canoe is in the boat shed for the winter stored in a sling above my motorboat, but here is a picture showing the blocks and inside of the boat. The assembly was relatively easy and the strength comes from the fiberglass that covers the inside and outside of the hull and the System 3 epoxy which was nice to work with. Boat weighs around 60 pounds so it is light. One comment that I forgot to add is that I find the boat to be much more stable when kneeling, so I use knee pads for long trips. My son and I did two Boy Scout 50 milers in the boat. Someday I would like to do the Bowron Lakes trip in British Columbia but I am not getting any younger so we had better do it soon!

125402A9-2EDC-4193-BCB7-17D694AA1DB8.jpeg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
1674069757153.png
Here's what I was referring to above as using for a bilge pump instead of a bailer. It makes sense in my beater plastic canoe, but yours seems too classy for such a gaudy gee gaw. Maybe you can wrap one in faux-woodgrain laminate or something because I do find it very useful.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Depending on where you plan on using it, might be worth bringing a flare gun packed in a small dry bag.
From my experiences kayaking with clubs, flares are rather unreliable. On average, 1 out of 2 or 3 would actually work, and they expire. A floating marine transceiver lives on every boat we use in the salt, though, so I’ll be sure to bring it.

But flares are something I should consider.

Thanks!

RCF

Life of the Party
I prefer dry bags over hard-sided storage. Fits in more places and can easily be tied/strapped to the thwarts if need be... Also do not move/slide around as much as a hard-sided hard-bottomed storage. Do not forget the straps...

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
I feel like there's a story there.

There are a couple or few actually. Did lots of canoeing on rivers when I was younger.

Watched my extra paddle float downstream because it was not strapped in. Never saw it again. Long trip to the pull out as a result. Velcro is your friend when one needs quicker access too.

Watched a few dry bags float downriver. Luckily I was able to retrieve them...

Straps are like duck tape ---> never can have too many/much...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
It’s not a bad idea. I have them for our kayaks.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
There are a couple or few actually. Did lots of canoeing on rivers when I was younger.

Watched my extra paddle float downstream because it was not strapped in. Never saw it again. Long trip to the pull out as a result. Velcro is your friend when one needs quicker access too.

Watched a few dry bags float downriver. Luckily I was able to retrieve them...

Straps are like duck tape ---> never can have too many/much...

The old adage: if ya don't like, don't tie it in...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
This style of portage yoke. It spreads the weight evenly over many times the surface area vs a jigsaw and round over bit yoke, and takes the weight off of your spine. Night and day difference.

Template:
Something I may need to explore, thank you! Here's the existing one, but it is removable.

A180E910-DE02-49F2-BF50-F95296DD474E.jpeg
290D89BD-86AF-4F4B-9258-F62840E31182.jpeg

Otter

Steelhead
You'll need paddles for each paddler on board, of course, but also a spare paddle, tied down. I like to tie my spare down with a couple lengths of thin bungee cord, which is quicker and easier than rope to undo in an emergency. Also as mentioned, tie-down loops epoxied to the lower sides are very useful.

You mentioned a side-mount for a motor. Make sure that is not attached when you run rivers. If it sticks out any distance, the current will catch it sooner or later, and then you are in big, big trouble. Ask me how I know!

Someone mentioned an ensolite pad for the floor. Good idea, even if there's only small pads just in front of each thwart ("seat"). Those will protect your knees, because you will find paddling on your knees much easier on your back and arms than paddling sitting up. Paddling when kneeling also gives more stability, and enables you to apply lots more power when you need it, like in the wind.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
You'll need paddles for each paddler on board, of course, but also a spare paddle, tied down. I like to tie my spare down with a couple lengths of thin bungee cord, which is quicker and easier than rope to undo in an emergency. Also as mentioned, tie-down loops epoxied to the lower sides are very useful.

You mentioned a side-mount for a motor. Make sure that is not attached when you run rivers. If it sticks out any distance, the current will catch it sooner or later, and then you are in big, big trouble. Ask me how I know!

Someone mentioned an ensolite pad for the floor. Good idea, even if there's only small pads just in front of each thwart ("seat"). Those will protect your knees, because you will find paddling on your knees much easier on your back and arms than paddling sitting up. Paddling when kneeling also gives more stability, and enables you to apply lots more power when you need it, like in the wind.
Thank you.

I actually spent the evening working with leather strips, bronze rivets, and bronze snaps. Going to make some straps that hang from the thwarts and hold the spare paddle(s) that still need to be made.

Advice taken about motors in rivers. Motor will definitely be on a removable mount and used on a case-by-case basis--can't see the need for one on a river as my plan will to always be going downriver.

As for pads, I'm going to try a couple of my wife's gardening pads to start, but I'm looking at other ideas. 18 sqft of freeboard on each side of the boat is a lot of leverage for the wind.