What Are Your Canoe "Must Haves"?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m in the final stages of building a 17’9” cedar strip canoe, and it's time to consider the accessories I'll need. What do you folks recommend?

Accessories already on my list/things I have:

1. Paddles. The kids paddles have been carved, mine is in progress. Will make another general adult-sized one.

2. Matching (made from the same woods as the boat) fly box(es).

3. Matching long wooden boat net with rubber net.

4. Build an anchor mount and auto-locking anchor rig. Like a bro craft or Scotty, but out of wood.

5. Build a side-mount for a trolling motor.

6. Trolling motor & battery.

7. Build a box for the trolling motor battery.

8. Throw rope, life jackets.

So, what am I missing/overlooking? Thwart bags? Boat bag? ???

Last edited:

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If the kids are small make sure their PFDs have crotch straps. Otherwise when the kids raise their hands above their heads they can drop thru the PFD.

You might want to make a couple or three bumpers out of a pool noodle to prevent dock rash on the canoe.

Bailing bucket, dry bag.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
If the kids are small make sure their PFDs have crotch straps. Otherwise when the kids raise their hands above their heads they can drop thru the PFD.

You might want to make a couple or three bumpers out of a pool noodle to prevent dock rash on the canoe.

Bailing bucket, dry bag.
Great advice and reminders about the life jacket fit, etc. Thank you.

Other ideas are great, too.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Is it a rowing canoe? Your use of oars instead of paddles makes think it might be.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Is it a rowing canoe? Your use of oars instead of paddles makes think it might be.
Nope, sorry. They’re paddles. I don’t have my nomenclature down yet.

Reactions: Zak

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When you get your beautiful boat done, give yourself some extra time for lane changes while driving around with your canoe. You will find people driving alongside, staring, oblivious to your need to take the coming exit. Don't ask how I know.

cdnred

Life of the Party
Not sure what type of water you plan to use your canoe on but you might consider adding a dry box/bag or small cooler to the mix. Might come in handy for carrying some essentials that can't get wet or just to keep things more organized while out on the water. The cooler could act as a type of table top for various activities. If you were to make it yourself then consider adding some cup holders into the lid or attach cup holders to the gunwale..
1674045034544.png
1674045506755.png

Add a yoke pad for easing the ache when portaging the canoe..?
1674044883729.png

1674046259146.png

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not sure what type of water you plan to use your canoe on but you might consider adding a dry box/bag or small cooler to the mix. Might come in handy for carrying some essentials that can't get wet or just to keep things more organized while out on the water. The cooler could act as a type of table top for various activities. If you were to make it yourself then consider adding some cup holders into the lid or attach cup holders to the gunwale..
View attachment 50526
View attachment 50528

Add a yoke pad for easing the ache when portaging the canoe..?
View attachment 50525

View attachment 50532
Perfect, thanks! I didn’t even know about yoke pads, but am definitely going to check them out. Dry box, too. I'd rather buy something like that.

Depending on how the seat building goes, those pads may also be just the thing.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Spare paddle for the boat, dry bags or boxes, and NRS straps in the boat. NRS straps with rubber pads for tying the canoe on top of the rack. My canoe is a Pygmy kit that I built with my son so not as nice as yours. The padded straps prevent scratches. You’ll do plenty of those on the water yourself. We also have a canoe cart for transporting the boat to the launch. We live close to the Columbia and often just walk it to the river. It folds up and stores in the boat.
D4ECC475-F1FD-4161-942E-B929374BB277.jpeg

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Tie down loops on the floor to hold your dry bags in place when tripping, which act as flotation in a capsize. Bailing bucket.

Then a trip to Shosone lake in Yellowstone...

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I like to use a version of a super soaker squirt gun for a bailer. Combined with a big sponge, you can keep the floor pretty dry.

Sometimes it’s nice to strip fly line into a bucket or something other than the floor. You can also pee into this container so it can be dual use.

Having a back on the seats that you can lean on, if even just a little, is awfully nice.

Learn the J stroke.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The seat back suggestion is a good one, my wife loves them. If the kids are going to sit in the middle and play (small toys and snacks?), look over the side, or whatever, I like to use a blue ensolite foam sleeping pad on the floor. Keeps noise down too. Not a must have but nice. Does double duty as it's comfortable to sit on on shore as well.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Spare paddle for the boat, dry bags or boxes, and NRS straps in the boat. NRS straps with rubber pads for tying the canoe on top of the rack. My canoe is a Pygmy kit that I built with my son so not as nice as yours. The padded straps prevent scratches. You’ll do plenty of those on the water yourself. We also have a canoe cart for transporting the boat to the launch. We live close to the Columbia and often just walk it to the river. It folds up and stores in the boat.
View attachment 50536
I disagree. That thing is beautiful. I’d love to see it up close sometime. I like how you attached the decks, and I also like your scuppers—much larger than what I put on my canoe, and I imagine I could have saved a bunch more weight if I’d done that. Did you use blocks to make the scuppers, or did you carve the inner gunwhale?

Thank you for the advice about the padded straps, paddle, and cart.

Last edited: