What’s your favorite 2wt Trout Spey?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Curious what the use case is for a 2wt trout spey? wide rivers for medium sized trout?

Bad shoulder?
I have two 3wt rods. One feels more like a light steelie rod than a trout rod. Plan to use a 2wt on any and all size rivers that warrant two hand casting with tips and streamers. I like a trout rod that feels like a trout rod.
Im confident that I can fish a 2wt at the same distance and in the same conditions that I would fish any two hand trout rod.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My only trout spey is the Winston 4wt. I suppose going lighter could be fun but I appreciate being able to throw midsize streamers and dealing with moderate wind. Retired, I won’t waste money owning every rod. Winstons have a moderate action that I prefer. Maybe like a Sage 2 or 3wt, given their “stronger & faster is better” mantra.

My only trout spey is the Winston 4wt. I suppose going lighter could be fun but I appreciate being able to throw midsize streamers and dealing with moderate wind. Retired, I won’t waste money owning every rod. Winstons have a moderate action that I prefer. Maybe like a Sage 2 or 3wt, given their “stronger & faster is better” mantra.
You can throw the same flies with a 2wt spey and in the same weather conditions. The head and sink tip of a 2wt have enough mass to turn your flies over- almost too much mass honestly. Casting 80 feet with a two weight is as easy as casting 80 with a 3 or 4 weight.

R

RyRy82

I’m digging my cts dq 11’ 2/3. I think it’s the perfect trout Spey for the lower deschutes red sides. My loomis short spey 4wt can turn over heavier flies and light mow tips but sure mutes the fish.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
You can throw the same flies with a 2wt spey and in the same weather conditions. The head and sink tip of a 2wt have enough mass to turn your flies over- almost too much mass honestly. Casting 80 feet with a two weight is as easy as casting 80 with a 3 or 4 weight.
I’m not seeing casting the same flies from a 2wt and 4wt. I have some flies that barely turn over with a 4wt.

To each there own. I fish soft hackles with a 4wt, it works great even on small fish.

MT406

Steelhead
What are you using for a Skagit set up on the 4wt Winston micro spey. Just picked one up.

skyrise

Steelhead
Have an Echo 4 weight. Much more of a light steel/salmon or large trout rod. It handles salmon up to 9-10 lbs. bead head flys to light intruders or heavy stone flys. If I wanted to strictly go for trout the 2-3 weight rods would be my choice. 2 cents.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What are you using for a Skagit set up on the 4wt Winston micro spey. Just picked one up.
As you probably know, Tom Larimer had a hand in designing the Winston Microspeys. He was also a pro with Airflo at the time and designed the Switch Float (based on the Rage head) and the Streamer Switch (essentially a Skagit), both being integrated fly lines. I bought the SF in a 270 grain, and the SS in 300 grain, both nominally 4wts and as I recall intended to work well with the Microspeys. I still use the Streamer Switch as my Skagit line some of the time. I tried using the Airflo Compact Skagit head, which worked well except I didn’t like the head/running line loop. So went back to the SS and still have it on a spool. The integrated running line doesn’t shoot as much line as some guys like, but it is good enough for me.
I preferred the Switch Float for general fishing though, however a year back moved over to the Rio Trout Spey head (305 grain) with a Gripshooter running line I already had. That’s a terrific match unless you are dredging deep or throwing heavy flies. Since I like the Trout Spey head so well, I’ll probably carry the Skagit Scout Float head (270 grain) as my Skagit head option, rather than lugging an extra spool. Think I like it over the Compact Skagit.
So I switch it around occasionally.

Last edited:

MT406

Steelhead
Thanks. I had a dealer suggest the SA integrated Skagit Lite 330 grain. Little nervous it will be too heavy for the 4wt.