What’s up with this smallmouth?

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pulled this one out of the Willamette this morning. Does anyone have any idea what going on with it? Spawn related? Disease? Predation?
IMG_3560.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Fish Hickey
SF

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Could possibly be talon Marks. They're easy pickings when on the beds a foot deep. Maybe a bird that tried to carry a little too much, grabbed a few times and dropped?
Nice fish either way

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
My first thought was narrow escape from an osprey, maybe not healing well due to water quality.

Shad

Life of the Party
I can't see it well enough to be sure, but I think I'm seeing something similar to the "pox" salmon sometimes have (the white pustules that form just under their skin). Don't know if other fish get those; don't think I've ever seen it. Whatever the case, I would guess some sort of disease....

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Eww. Reminds me of The Last of Us. Haha! And I'm only on season 1 so no spoilers!

That fish also has weird proportions. Maybe a weird angle + post-spawn, but I seems it's almost like the head of one fish and the backend of another. I see almost like a seam where I've drawn a red line.
1685819166964.png

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Eww. Reminds me of The Last of Us. Haha! And I'm only on season 1 so no spoilers!

That fish also has weird proportions. Maybe a weird angle + post-spawn, but I seems it's almost like the head of one fish and the backend of another. I see almost like a seam where I've drawn a red line.
View attachment 67518
Yeah, I totally see that. I think it may just be a weird angle though. Of the things I noticed at the time, it's proportions weren't one of them.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

View attachment 67518
Truth is @ColinShots over here is cutting them up and sewing them back together. @skyriver now that you know, you're next.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Truth is @ColinShots over here is cutting them up and sewing them back together. @skyriver now that you know, you're next.

fzbs.gif