WF And DT Fly Lines...An Interesting Comparison

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I recently fished some smaller water and came away thinking that I might want to switch to a DT line to achiueve better mending
After reading this comparison I'm now doing some real head scratching.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Great info post. I'd read something similar before. In my experience, lots of small rivers, I've found no difference at most normal fishing distances. For longer work or lakes, if I'm carrying more line during a cast I defiantly prefer a DT. Multi-fly rigs work best with open loops and letting the line and rod do the work. For indicators, where I'm more prone to want to shoot line, or need tight loops in the wind, I favor the weight forward. This would be that ~60+' range where you really start to notice. Personally I have not noticed any significant difference in mendability.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
The advantage of DT, especially if fishing small water is you can potentially get twice the life of a WF, but that's it, no better for casting, mending etc.

cheers

I think most DT’s are fairly true to the weight where a lot of WF’s tend to a half size or full size heavier. Plus a lot of WF’s don’t necessarily follow the same taper as the 30’ of a DT. This changes the weight distribution over the length of the WF head.