Westside bass check-in

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've never seen LMB chasing dragon flies - I bet that's super cool getting to see that.

Yes it is.
Big dragon flies, the bass were about a foot out of the water and maybe 1.5 - 3ft. of distance.

Maybe i will film it Sunday when i return.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Would love to see some film of it. Better yet, of you hooking up with one on a dragon dry!!
On my local puddle, dragons are very abundant and definitely seem to be the main forage. Seeing bass of all sizes take dragons off the reeds and even mid-air is quite the sight. Big blue dragon popper has been killer for a couple of years now. The bonus aspect is mosquitos have been non-existent.

On a side note, I have only been out for bass a couple of times this summer. Other fisheries drag me out to "greener" pastures. But my last two outings the average size has been about half of that in June.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
On my local puddle, dragons are very abundant and definitely seem to be the main forage. Seeing bass of all sizes take dragons off the reeds and even mid-air is quite the sight. Big blue dragon popper has been killer for a couple of years now. The bonus aspect is mosquitos have been non-existent.

On a side note, I have only been out for bass a couple of times this summer. Other fisheries drag me out to "greener" pastures. But my last two outings the average size has been about half of that in June.
Please PM GPS coordinates of your local puddle so I can verify.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes it is.
Big dragon flies, the bass were about a foot out of the water and maybe 1.5 - 3ft. of distance.

Maybe i will film it Sunday when i return.

Update:

A wee bit windy.
Overcast.
I eyed 1 dragonfly the entire session.
I still landed fish on top water frog. 2 smashed it on the take. The other 1 was a wait and see. The others rolled on it and missed.
I love this game.

Divad

Whitefish
You know that bass has a general territory on the lake, and those houses out back will probably see more anglers in that area.

[Takes big breath, sips from a chilled WhiteClaw, puffs a cloud of Cheerio smelling vape smoke into his lowered subaru while and blares sad rap in route to the lake]

So are the times we live

(In 100yrs from this post please add “in VR.” to the end of the italicized font)

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Things getting slower around here. A couple of the good local bass lakes close at the end of sept and another one closes at the end of oct.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that I don't know how to find fall bass... (especially with fly gear)

Anyfish

Just one more cast...
Things getting slower around here. A couple of the good local bass lakes close at the end of sept and another one closes at the end of oct.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that I don't know how to find fall bass... (especially with

I've always struggled consistently getting fall bass with flies. However, one nice part about chasing them around is there is less folks than in the summer (or in many cases). A few of our local lakes switched over to being open year round a few years ago.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Trying to get out to one lake tomorrow before it closes to fishing from a boat (duck season). Then trying to hit one more next week maybe before the weather turns.

But my eyes are starting to wander to the river...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Found a few today. Nothing to write home about. I was, however, using gear (spinnerbait). Although given that they were reaction strikes pretty shallow made me wonder how I would have done with poppers.

Ah well, I'll never know. WDFW closes that lake for Duck season tomorrow. Even though duck season doesn't start for 2 weeks.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Found a few today. Nothing to write home about. I was, however, using gear (spinnerbait). Although given that they were reaction strikes pretty shallow made me wonder how I would have done with poppers.

Ah well, I'll never know. WDFW closes that lake for Duck season tomorrow. Even though duck season doesn't start for 2 weeks.
2608C8EF-3DB8-4E0E-AACB-845B1797305F.gif

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fall has been more of a grind than those heady days of may-july. But we've found a couple here and there. Mostly fishing more subsurface and less topwater, sadly. 20220925_133033.jpg20220925_083828.jpg20220918_083822.jpg20220909_095215.jpgIMG_2539.jpg
Nice rainbow by‐catch.

Edit I guess a couple of these aren't westside bass, but oh well.

Last edited: