(Warning: Dirtbag content) For any of you all who get hung up on what fly to use out in the saltwater

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
holy shit! that's so awesome!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Were you at least running a hand tied, deluxe shrimp fly above it on a dropper loop? :ROFLMAO:
if by hand-tied, you mean store bought, then yes. Though nothing ate the shrimp flies. They all went for the lead.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
back in the 70's when I ran sport fishing boats, used to buy used towel bars from Goodwill, fill them with melted lead bought for cheap from a SF metal shop, angle cut them into 6" bars drill and run rings through the ends, attach a soft bronze (tines wold straighten if caught on the reef) 4/0 treble, and hammer the crap out of ling and rock fish bottom bouncing them...anything moving and reflecting light is going to get pouncd on down there.
Used a Fenwick PT809 with Penn 4/0 Red Senator with high speed Newell gears and drag kit...killer ling setup

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
One of my favorite deckhands down here, who worked on the highliner bottomfishing boat used to keep a banana sinker with a hook on it on the boat. Whenever customers would complain and make comments about their shrimp fly color not catching as well as another shrimp fly color used by someone else he would grab that sinker, rig it up, drop it down and catch a fish.

Cracks me up how much effort and money some folks spend on their bottom fish gear selections.

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I've seen diamond jigs do the same damage when nothing else worked. guess as long as its shiny and makes noise hitting the bottom .......
I prefer less shine. Doesn't get much less shiny than plain lead.

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
Pretty rad, Evan. I was on a steelhead river the other day and was playing a surface fish that moved to a dryfly multiple times but kept missing the hook.

I texted my pals about the sequence and of course they suggested to riffle-hitch a wetfly. I don't typically carry wetflies for summer steelhead but I did have a bare bomber hook in my box (I've been wanting to hook a steelhead on a bare hook). I tied that hook to my tippet and hitched it.

I'll be danged if that steelhead didn't roll on that bare hook and yank on it...but it still missed the pointy end. It soon left the lie shortly after that.

20220805_083627.jpg