Warby Parker as fishing sunglasses?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Anyone use Warby Parker sunglasses as their primary fishing sunglasses? I need new prescription lenses i my sunglasses but my dr. won't fill in my current frames because they're too beat up (I've always just used my regular sunglasses but when taken to the dr. they would always use polarized lenses for me).

The cost of Costa's with prescription lenses are a bit to much for me. The Smith's are closer to my budget (I think ~$300 with prescription lenses) but I'm a bit shallow in that they're not really my "style". The Warby Parker's are closer to $200 and a lot of options, just not sure the quality of their polarized lenses. For reference, I wear WB as my everyday glasses.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I love my Smith prescriptions - both my regular glasses and sunglasses. Never heard of Warby Parker though, so I'm not much help there.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Never for sunglasses but I’ve used them for my regular glasses and I’ve been happy with them.
They have a retail store in University Village if you need to try frames on.
If you do buy glasses there, be prepared to unsubscribe to their email list….because they’ll be sending you emails afterward nearly daily. 😉
Costco would be another option to explore.
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I just got a new prescription and bought two pairs of glasses (clear lens and brown polarized) from Costco. Pretty good glasses buying experience, and the total damage was $240! It's the first time I bought glasses from Costco, but won't be the last.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Never heard of Warby Parker though, so I'm not much help there.

I'm honestly shocked you've never heard of Warby Parker?!
I mean, they're nothing special, just nice glasses for (relatively) cheap. Glasses + lenses for $99.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Never for sunglasses but I’ve used them for my regular glasses and I’ve been happy with them.
They have a retail store in University Village if you need to try frames on.
If you do buy glasses there, be prepared to unsubscribe to their email list….because they’ll be sending you emails afterward nearly daily. 😉
Costco would be another option to explore.
SF

Yeah, I've been using them for my everyday glasses for years.
My only gripe is they generally only last about a year--the lenses get scratched and I screw up the frames. Part of that is me rough housing with my kid/generally lack of care part is possibly the quality.

Whereas I've had my current sunglasses/lenses for over 10 years. I'm just not sure if I'll get that out of WP sunglasses.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I've been using them for my everyday glasses for years.
My only gripe is they generally only last about a year--the lenses get scratched and I screw up the frames. Part of that is me rough housing with my kid/generally lack of care part is possibly the quality.

Whereas I've had my current sunglasses/lenses for over 10 years. I'm just not sure if I'll get that out of WP sunglasses.

I bought a pair just for doing yard work and to wear on fishing trips in case they get crushed or something versus wearing my everyday glasses. So far, so good especially for the price.
Another option to consider is Guideline for sunglasses.
A fellow member turned me on to them and I’ve been very happy with them. Both pairs were about $200.00 at the time out the door for prescription sunglasses.
I’m not sure they still do this, but I was concerned with the fit due to my big melon.
They shipped me a dozen frames to try on before I placed my order. I was super happy with their service.
SF

54FF8E79-C14E-4984-9DC8-1CB37AF156C0.png

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Kinda of off topic, but if someone is after a decent pair of polarized sunglasses with just bifocals , Coyote has some pretty good sunglasses for the price. I’ve had a couple pair that served me well.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
never heard of that. Like Evan, I roll with Smith for both. Work great!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
To continue this, if you had to pick one color of polarized lenses for the majority of fishing, which would you choose, and why?

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 9.47.37 AM.png

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
To continue this, if you had to pick one color of polarized lenses for the majority of fishing, which would you choose, and why?

View attachment 58745
Lots of variable here. When I got mine the optometrist asked what I wanted them for. I said stream and lake fishing around here and driving. I chose, with her recommendation, a light brownish color. I don't like it to darken much, more cut glare. The brown range is good for increasing contrast and depth perception. They are great for seeing into the water. Mine are polarized as well.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Brown, for sure. It makes cold days warmer and the world look nicer.
Lots of variable here. When I got mine the optometrist asked what I wanted them for. I said stream and lake fishing around here and driving. I chose, with her recommendation, a light brownish color. I don't like it to darken much, more cut glare. The brown range is good for increasing contrast and depth perception. They are great for seeing into the water. Mine are polarized as well.

I was leaning towards Brown, partly because that's what I've always had. But it's nice to see a theme: all around usage :)
Thanks gentlemen.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Big fan of prescription Transition Drivewear, which Costco carries. Polarized sunglasses that transition from lighter to darker depending on ambient light. Non prescription available as well.

Last edited: