Wading Boot Recommendation

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Maybe a dumb idea but has anyone ever tried using a pair of ice cleats over their boots for traction rather then studs..? I'm thinking that they may fit too loose on the boots for providing stability when moving across river rocks making them more dangerous. They'd be similar to Korkers with the removable soles. Just a thought..

View attachment 47515
more
These would work, if you can find them:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Japanese Keiryu (mountain stream) - Genryu (headwaters) anglers tackle some extreme terrain and stream conditions.
How many of us are willing and able to tackle conditions like those in the first 9:30 of this summary of the 2022 Genryu Izakaya (headwaters pub) husband-wife team's adventures? 😲

They need lightweight protection and support with flexibility, and excellent wet and dry traction for hiking, climbing, and wading. They use Sawanobori (shower climbing) shoes. Climbing waterfalls is popular in Japan. Canyoneering shoes are similar.
A tradeoff to lightweight and flexible is muti-year durability.
They also carry some easy on-off micro spikes to use over wet streamside moss and vegetation.

Me, I prefer the increased protection, support, and durability of a top line Korkers boot and a combination of soles appropriate for the conditions; i.e.
Triple Threat replaceable bar cleat soles, lightweight studded felt or non-studded felt for wading
Lightweight Kling-On rubber sole for hiking only.
Maybe a dumb idea but has anyone ever tried using a pair of ice cleats over their boots for traction rather then studs..? I'm thinking that they may fit too loose on the boots for providing stability when moving across river rocks making them more dangerous. They'd be similar to Korkers with the removable soles. Just a thought..

View attachment 47515
more
Here's a very old school solution from yesteryear I mentioned earlier. Dan Bailey barcleat & felt galoshes on my felt-soled Borger boots when I needed more traction than plain felt.
1672442773990.jpeg
Korkers are just as effective and easier to use.

Last edited:

wetline dave

Steelhead
I seriously doubt that a single sole configuration will cover all situations so it is a compromise you have to shoot for.

In that I fish moderate temps and conditions I find studded felts are the way to go.

I don't hike long distances over rougher Terraine nor do I hike through a lot of mud or snow. I walk river banks and don't feel the need to wade deep especially on steeper gradients.

It is all about where you and your personal risk factor are comfortable.

There are bold waders and old waders but there are very few old and bold waders.

Dave.