Wading Boot Recommendation

I've worn out my current pair of Redington Benchmark wading boots after two seasons so I'm in the market for a new pair.

Some considerations:
  • Lightweight - I fish quickly and cover a lot of ground. That and going down to the D with four friends means I have to make my own space. So a lighter boot seems to make sense to me.
  • Durability - This may be in conflict with point one. I only managed a few seasons out of my current pair and as I understand it, that's a shorter life than one might expect. Admittedly, I am someone who wades recklessly so I'm often getting my boot wedged in between rocks and ripping it out.
  • Price point - ~$200 would be great though I'd be willing to consider more for the right reasons.
  • Sole type - The majority of my fishing is done in the western Washington mountain streams with occasional trips to the Yak and D. My current pair are rubber sole with studs and man, do I slip and slide a bunch. Again, I'm not a careful wader so maybe that's my problem but this has got me considering felt. For what it is worth, I have never once hiked around in snow though I do tend to make two November-February trips to the D so maybe I've been lucky to avoid it. I also have a desire to get into SRC fishing on Puget Sound so if there is any overlap in function on that front it may tip my decision.
Products I'm considering:
  • Redington Benchmark - I did really like my old pair even given the durability concerns. These are actually cheap enough that I would consider purchasing both felt and a rubber pair.
  • Simms Flyweight - I have a pair of G3 waders that I love and Simms is THE brand to first consider when it comes to wading equipment. Can anyone attest to the durability relative to the Benchmark?
  • Simms Flyweight Access - The marketing makes it seem that these could be perfect for slippery substrate without the concerns that come with felt. Though I usually don't go for new-ish products. Can anyone speak to this product?
  • Korkers Buckskin - I understand Korkers divide opinion but it seems like they've greatly improved their product recently and I have a friend who is happy with his pair. These would obviously solve my felt vs rubber conundrum but these look heavy though that could be an optical illusion.
I plan to check out these products in person, of course, but I'd like some guidance on how they function on the river to help me make the final decision.

Thanks,
Dave

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I own a pair of flyweights that I only wear when I feel like wet-wading, so they don't get a ton of use, and I like them. But I will say a couple of guides I follow on instagram were wearing them, but the fabric eyelets blew out after a lot of use, they had to stick holes in them to make new eyelets.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I own a pair of flyweights that I only wear when I feel like wet-wading, so they don't get a ton of use, and I like them. But I will say a couple of guides I follow on instagram were wearing them, but the fabric eyelets blew out after a lot of use, they had to stick holes in them to make new eyelets.
Light use and wet wading only is my recommendation. Otherwise super comfortable and good hiking shoes. Give and take.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Felt soles. Greatest thing since sliced bread. I feel much more confident (except when I get out into the snow). I have a pair of lower end Orvis boa's that I like, easy and comfortable, fine with just socks or liners but a hair small for my wader feet. Due to the stiffer upper seems to give a looser/less precise fit? My other pair is Korker Buckskin, a touch larger in the same marked size. Used the rubber and rubber w/ studs but really for me felt is what I need. I'm on the second set of felt soles. In 3 years of hard use (I get out a bit) the seams above the ball of the foot are just starting to go. I'll probably speedy stitch them, although the rubber rand at the front toe wear/sole retention area is getting thin. I'd have no qualms about doing the Korker's again. I use old rubber soled boots in the float tube because they fit my fins better.

Last edited:
Blown out fabric eyelets and crushed (pinched) bottom eyelets are the reason I need to replace the current pair. The bottom eyelets have essentially severed the laces. Though the uppers are also in bad shape. For what it's worth, wet wading is what I do most.

Last edited:
matching your foot shape to the boot is as important as the construction. For low arches and fairly narrow feet, a straight last from Simms works great. Conversely, a foot with high arches and a wide forefoot spread will need a curved last like Chota.
View attachment 46855
I definitely fall into the "straight" in this diagram. Wide foot, low arch.
Good solid boots protect your feet and ankles. Lightweight fabric boots will leave your feet bruised and sore after a day of wading.
Well I've managed to avoid anything too serious with regards to my foot. Somewhat ironically, it was my wrist that was injured by slipping and bracing my fall. Age may have not caught up to me quite yet though. ;)

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Your top three criteria seem to be mutually exclusive.

Personally, I'd be expanding your price range.

My Orvis Pros are really durable, somewhere in the middle weight-wise (but super comfortable for longer hikes--I fish the D a fair bit and am always hiking a really long ways), but not super cheap. I have the rubber with studs (the Michelin rubber is by far the best rubber I've used, but still it's no felt) but I do believe they have a felt/rubber combo sole out now.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
My son has about 20-25 8+ hour days on his flyweights and they're holding up great. Aside from mud stains they still look great.

RCF

Life of the Party
matching your foot shape to the boot is as important as the construction. For low arches and fairly narrow feet, a straight last from Simms works great. Conversely, a foot with high arches and a wide forefoot spread will need a curved last like Chota.
View attachment 46855
Great info. And yes the last is important for proper fit and comfort.

@SurfnFish you continue to surprise me. Most people do not even know about a shoe's last.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
Felt soles. Greatest thing since sliced bread. I feel much more confident (except when I get out into the snow). I have a pair of lower end Orvis boa's that I like, easy and comfortable, fine with just socks or liners but a hair small for my wader feet. Due to the stiffer upper seems to give a looser/less precise fit? My other pair is Korker Buckskin, a touch larger in the same marked size. Used the rubber and rubber w/ studs but really for me felt is what I need. I'm on the second set of felt soles. In 3 years of hard use (I get out a bit) the seams above the ball of the foot are just starting to go. I'll probably speedy stitch them, although the rubber rand at the front toe wear/sole retention area is getting thin. I'd have no qualms about doing the Korker's again. I use old rubber soled boots in the float tube because they fit my fins better.
I agree about felt. Also agree with strong and supportive as well as protective. As we get older we need to take any and all advantages to stay upright and avoid injuries...

Your top three criteria seem to be mutually exclusive.

Personally, I'd be expanding your price range.

My Orvis Pros are really durable, somewhere in the middle weight-wise (but super comfortable for longer hikes--I fish the D a fair bit and am always hiking a really long ways), but not super cheap. I have the rubber with studs (the Michelin rubber is by far the best rubber I've used, but still it's no felt) but I do believe they have a felt/rubber combo sole out now.
I suspected I wouldn't be able to have all three at once.... *sigh*

If that's the case, I think I'd sacrifice durability for nimbleness. And given that I have little experience with the various brands and their different qualities, there's something to say for keeping it a relatively inexpensive purchase until I know my preferred brand/characteristics.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The Simms Flyweights are nice, but the lace loops don’t last long if you fish saltwater much. Mine blew out fairly quickly and I pretty much only fish saltwater these days. Other board members experienced the same.
Nice light boots. Seem well built except for the poor loop design / materials.
I’m using a pair of Orvis lightweight boots now. So far so good.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
The Simms Flyweights are nice, but the lace loops don’t last long if you fish saltwater much. Mine blew out fairly quickly and I pretty much only fish saltwater these days. Other board members experienced the same.
Nice light boots. Seem well built except for the poor loop design / materials.
I’m using a pair of Orvis lightweight boots now. So far so good.
SF

Yep, same issue here as well. A lot of saltwater use and the loops blew out fast. They were the most comfortable wading boots I ever owned though. I have not tried the Simms Flyweight Access so cannot speak to their durability or comfort. Looks like they have fabric lace loops too though. I use the Simms Freesalts now for the most part and the durability has been awesome. They are holding up really well. They are a more traditional wading boot though.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I had a pair of Redington Benchmark boots and was not impressed by their durability. I've never had a bad experience with Simms boots. Regardless, my next pair of boots will be Korkers, just because I want to try them.

I consider felt to be mandatory, on the west side; our freestones are full of slimy rocks and rubber soles are downright dangerous.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Based on what you have said I think you need a tough pair of boots not a light pair. Just my opinion, if your hiking that much get a back pack for hiking shoes then switch into wading boots when you get to your destination.
I don't know of anyone making suitable boots these days but I don't pay much attention to the market. I'd do a search for a used or NOS pair of Weinbrener ultimate wading boots with felt and carbide studs

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Simms G4s for me. One pair in felt for mostly boat use, and one in Vibram with a full compliment of carbide and aluminum cleats. Great ankle support and they seem very durable after a few seasons.

Reactions: Zak

ABITNF

Steelhead
I'm in Korkers Buckskin after wearing out two pairs of Korkers Redside boots. I like them as much as I did my previous Korkers.

I've also sold lots of these in the shop with only one return that I'll explain in a minute.

I'm wearing the felt soles my boots came with. I have noticed though that felt today isn't like the felt of old. In my experience the felt wears down to about 2/3 of where it began very quickly. But the good thing is it then stays there for a very long time. My preference is the studded felt. These appear to wear longer, I think because the studs keep the felt off the rocks a little and it makes a difference. I did have one time when a sole popped off. This was walking through loon shit muck. It never left entirely so I recovered it, rinsed it off and was back in business.

My next boot will be the Dark Horse

Last edited:

ABITNF

Steelhead
To continue after a temporary falfunction...
I like the Darkhorse because of the Boa system. I haven't seen one fail but heard of this likely from those who like rumours.

As far as their warranty. I had a guy bring in a pair of Devil's Canyon which had a little separation at the toe guard. Big enough to put a dime down in about 1/8 inch. Korkers replaced them. I was shocked that this was enough to qualify for their rock solid warranty but it was. The guy walked out the door with a pair we had in stock. I cut the tongues off the boot and sent their guy Ari a photo of this and they shipped us a replacement all FOC. That says a lot to me about Korkers.

I hear lots of guys talk about boots from other companies they've had for 10 years. I don't doubt it because others made better boots then. In my experience Korkers is one of the best right now and a great company to deal with.