Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The stocking plan for this year is now published on WDFWs website
Thanks!
Here's a link for those interested.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Wow! It says they are stocking Martha Lake Alderwood Manor with cutthroats! As far as I know, it was stocked with rainbows in previous years. I live on this lake. If you are fishing it, drop me line. I'd like to meet forum members in person and I'll hand you a cold beer from my dock!

Chucker

Steelhead
The 2023 stocking kokanee and trout statewide stocking plan has been released - https://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/02416

Noticed that once again there is a scheduled release of 15,000 brown trout fingerlings in Greenlake. Does anybody know anything about that? Is there any reasoning behind it, like a plan for them to predate the less desirable fish in there? They don’t seem to survive in any great numbers, or contribute in any meaningful way to the fishery. I did catch one once, many years ago. It was about 12”, and it’s the only one I have ever heard of being caught.

johnnyboy

Steelhead
Noticed that once again there is a scheduled release of 15,000 brown trout fingerlings in Greenlake. Does anybody know anything about that? Is there any reasoning behind it, like a plan for them to predate the less desirable fish in there? They don’t seem to survive in any great numbers, or contribute in any meaningful way to the fishery. I did catch one once, many years ago. It was about 12”, and it’s the only one I have ever heard of being caught.
About 10 or so years ago I was walking around the lake and I saw guy catch a huge brown fishing those Pautzkes green label eggs off that dock near N 65th. The fish had to have been at least around 5 pounds or so.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
My son lives 3 blocks away from Green Lake, but I have never really been around the lake. Is it fished much? I know my sons have done paddleboards on the lake in the summer.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I think @Wadin' Boot has fished it if I remember correctly, maybe he can chime in.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Wow! It says they are stocking Martha Lake Alderwood Manor with cutthroats! As far as I know, it was stocked with rainbows in previous years. I live on this lake. If you are fishing it, drop me line. I'd like to meet forum members in person and I'll hand you a cold beer from my dock!
We all should do a bbq at your place in May.

Reactions: Zak

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
I think @Wadin' Boot has fished it if I remember correctly, maybe he can chime in.
Never caught a brown trout of any size in the lake and i fish it a lot with my son. Never seen anyone catch one either, it seems like a wasted effort on WDFW's behalf.

One thing is for sure, the cormorants are out in force right now chomping down stockers left and right....

Divad

Whitefish
Never caught a brown trout of any size in the lake and i fish it a lot with my son. Never seen anyone catch one either, it seems like a wasted effort on WDFW's behalf.

One thing is for sure, the cormorants are out in force right now chomping down stockers left and right....
I HATE those birds. A little thinning of the population wouldn’t hurt the years of sanctuary. I givith you Countryman's Cooking, by W.M.W Fowler circa 1965:

Cormorant Recipe
Having shot your cormorant, hold it well away from you as you carry it home; these birds are exceedingly verminous and the lice are said to be not entirely host-specific. Hang up by the feet with a piece of wire, soak in petrol and set on fire. This treatment both removes most of the feathers and kills the lice.

When the smoke has cleared away, take the cormorant down and cut off the beak. Send this to the local Conservancy Board who, if you are in the right area, will give you money for it. Bury the carcase, preferably in a light sandy soil, and leave it there for a fortnight. This is said to improve the flavour by removing, in part at least, the taste of rotting fish.

Dig up and skin and draw the bird. Place in a strong salt and water solution and soak for 48 hours. Remove, dry, stuff with whole, unpeeled onions: the onion skins are supposed to bleach the meat to a small extent, so that it is very dark brown instead of being entirely black.

Simmer gently in seawater, to which two tablespoons of chloride of lime have been added, for six hours. This has a further tenderising effect. Take out of the water and allow to dry, meanwhile mixing up a stiff paste of methylated spirit and curry powder. Spread this mixture liberally over the breast of the bird.

Finally roast in a very hot oven for three hours. The result is unbelievable. Throw it away. Not even a starving vulture would eat it.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I HATE those birds. A little thinning of the population wouldn’t hurt the years of sanctuary. I givith you Countryman's Cooking, by W.M.W Fowler circa 1965:

Cormorant Recipe
Having shot your cormorant, hold it well away from you as you carry it home; these birds are exceedingly verminous and the lice are said to be not entirely host-specific. Hang up by the feet with a piece of wire, soak in petrol and set on fire. This treatment both removes most of the feathers and kills the lice.

When the smoke has cleared away, take the cormorant down and cut off the beak. Send this to the local Conservancy Board who, if you are in the right area, will give you money for it. Bury the carcase, preferably in a light sandy soil, and leave it there for a fortnight. This is said to improve the flavour by removing, in part at least, the taste of rotting fish.

Dig up and skin and draw the bird. Place in a strong salt and water solution and soak for 48 hours. Remove, dry, stuff with whole, unpeeled onions: the onion skins are supposed to bleach the meat to a small extent, so that it is very dark brown instead of being entirely black.

Simmer gently in seawater, to which two tablespoons of chloride of lime have been added, for six hours. This has a further tenderising effect. Take out of the water and allow to dry, meanwhile mixing up a stiff paste of methylated spirit and curry powder. Spread this mixture liberally over the breast of the bird.

Finally roast in a very hot oven for three hours. The result is unbelievable. Throw it away. Not even a starving vulture would eat it.
Much more complicated than the recipe for spotted owl and bald eagle. Those things come with instructions on a neat little legband; Wash. Biol. Surv.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Cormorant Recipe

Reminds me of the one shad recipe in John McPhee's "The Founding Fish," where the final instruction is "throw away the shad and eat the brick."