Volunteer Angling and Technology-Based Solutions Provide the First Estimate of Sea Lice Infections for Wild Coastal Cutthroat Trout

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the link!

I contributed some data at one point, but now I really, really, really want find a fish to put in the "greater than or equal to 28"" bin.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the link!

I contributed some data at one point, but now I really, really, really want find a fish to put in the "greater than or equal to 28"" bin.
I don’t think those are searuns. Still, nice sized salmon.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

I’m a believer in unicorns.
Mainly based on the conversations I had with my best friends dad who started fishing here in the 1920’s. In particular, one encounter he had.
Obviously fishing is different now and there are likely few if any still approaching size, but a guy can always dream. 😉
SF

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'm a believer. Partly because of my own experience and partly because I just like the thought of a few monster cutts swimming around out there!

I've put eyes on two src that would have challenged for the state record. Not a doubt in my mind. One followed a fly right up to my rod tip before turning away when I was beach fishing years ago. But the biggest one I saw 3 separate times in the same area. All 3 times it followed a fly to the boat, just appearing like a ghost as the fly got close, and then casually turned away like it never had any actual interest in eating. First time my buddy in the bow saw it and I didn't. He was almost white and shaking at the knees. He just kept saying "oh my God it's so huge". He's an incredibly experienced fisherman and I didn't doubt him in the least. Few days later on a different trip in the same area, I saw it with my own eyes. Absolutely monstrous, and most definitely a cutthroat. I saw it two other times in the same area that same year, but haven't seen it since. Probably 4 years ago.

Haven't seen anything close to that size since, but I definitely believe.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
State record says otherwise.

Almost every src over 19-20” I’ve ever caught (not many, perhaps 8 maybe 10 total) has had net markings/scars on it.

I’m thinking the monsters are harvested alongside the salmon the net folks are targeting (and often dumping by my folk’s old house near Little Boston).