Victory, in more ways than one

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Damn. Nice find

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
The Martin is a little light for a long heavy bamboo rod.....like the 63 they’re kinda small in diameter too. I like my Hardy’s but a Pfluger 1495 could do the trick....

Cliff

Steelhead
You did really well on that score! I had a similar deal on an 8642 Special 20 years ago, but it needed a new wrap on one guide. I'm jealous as I always wanted a Victory. I think the wraps on a Victory are one of their best color schemes.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Big fan of the Victory fly rods. Have an 8642 5 weight Victory and a 9050 6 weight Victory. There's a delightful story about the name. Granger production foreman Bill Phillipson was feuding with Granger business manager Anges Marshall about changing the reel seat on Granger rods after Goodwin Granger's death. Granger's widow May Granger Stocks settled the dispute by giving Phillipson full discretion over rod design and components. Phillipson named the new rod the Victory, which must have rankled Anges Marshall every time she processed an order for the rod. Here's my 9' 6050 Granger being put throughg its paces up at Cooper Lake.
Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 2.11.56 PM.png

Cliff

Steelhead
Great story. I'd love to have a Victory, these are some of my favorite fly rods. I have an 8642 Special and did own a 7-1/2ft Special at one time. I guess the holy grail for me would be the 8040. I love the wraps on the Victory.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For anyone looking...there's a local CL listing for an 8642 W&M Victory. Repaired and in very good fishing condition with a price tag that reflects those traits. Based on the description and location I think I know who is selling it and if that is the seller I'd trust their workmanship all day long, every day. He's a solid guy and very good at bamboo rod work.