Rod Building Using a rod dryer

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I’ve always used the cardboard box method of rod wrapping and turning after coating wraps. However, I’m now the proud owner of a motorized rod dryer like the one below, and I have some basic (stupid ) questions:

How do you use it to dry the whole rod? Do you just add each section to the rod as you coat the wraps, and hope that the coating on the female ferrule wraps doesn’t glue the sections together?

Or am I doomed to drying one section at a time?

IMG_2034.jpeg

Divad

Whitefish
I’ve always used the cardboard box method of rod wrapping and turning after coating wraps. However, I’m now the proud owner of a motorized rod dryer like the one below, and I have some basic (stupid ) questions:

How do you use it to dry the whole rod? Do you just add each section to the rod as you coat the wraps, and hope that the coating on the female ferrule wraps doesn’t glue the sections together?

Or am I doomed to drying one section at a time?

View attachment 67071
I’ve done 3 now and do them all together with the Lite Flexcoat poured onto an aluminum foil lined plate. I’d suspect you’d waste a lot of epoxy even at minimum mix doing each piece separate plus I’d rather have it all dry even, from the same batch, with the same climate etc.

Never had an issue with ferrules sticking and I get closer than most with a 1mm stand-off. Even the lite stuff when I thinned it didn’t run off.

5 Weight

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Apply epoxy very carefully near the ferrule. I have never had a problem with this procedure. Or apply a wrap of masking tape to the male part of the ferrule right where they come together with a little paraffin rubbed on the masking tape to insure release.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I usually coat 2 sections attached together, get it drying while I start working on the next 2 sections. I apply the epoxy using a manual stand, as it gives me better control, and then move it to the dryer. Never had a sticking problem. If you over shoot your wrap use a paper towel dipped in alcohol and it rubs right off.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Great, thanks folks. Guess I was overthinking it a bit.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I manually rotate sections then put them together in the electric rod dryer. Or with my shorter one piece Hotrodz....no stinkin ferrules!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I've used wine corks and various dowel rods or pieces of broken rods to turn sections separately. Works great when you have limited room. The most important aspect is to carefully measure the amounts of epoxy and mix for a full three minutes - I used a timer.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I usually do 2 sections together. I wrap a strip of masking tape around the male end, just as it butts into the upper section to prevent any stray epoxy from getting where it shouldn't.

Last edited: