Unsticking bamboo ferrules

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Took my 9' Wright and McGill Waterseal FA 6 weight impregnated bamboo rod to some saltwater beaches yesterday and one of the ferrules became stuck. The rod has monel ferrules which have an extremely tight fit. Took the two stuck sections home and let them dry out and warm up in the house overnight and then used some non-slip gardening gloves and the behind the knee pull apart and they separated just fine. Will prob tuck the gloves into my fishing bag in the car in case this happens again.
Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 10.47.01 AM.png

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
If possible, I prefer the two person pull.....easier to ensure a straight pull. But if nobody is around to help...
Agree that the two person pull is very effective but I tried the two person pull after coming off the water yesterday and again last night but it didn't work.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Happy it came apart for you. I’ve had to do the behind the knees trick a few times and fortunately its worked each time.

poolhopping

Just Hatched
i had the problem once and had to cut up the rubber mat in my truck. now i carry two or three sets of rubber pads in all my fish bags, boat bags, vests etc.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Back in the day fishing glass with metal ferrules, my habit was to rub the male end up side my nose to get some oil on it before putting it together. As far as I remember it always worked. I'm too cheap to get started fishing with grass rods.

Cliff

Steelhead
I do the same except I cut up a non slip nubby textured rubber or rubberized material. I find the texture gives better grip than smooth .
I use those rubber jar-lid removers (what're they called?) that my wife uses to twist off stubborn lids. She's busted me a couple of times.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I use those rubber jar-lid removers (what're they called?) that my wife uses to twist off stubborn lids. She's busted me a couple of times.

Yes jar lid removers. I couldn't think of what they were called either. Let's just call them jar lid removers from now on.

I once borrowed a three piece Payne with bamboo ferrules from a mutual friend of ours, Robert near Woodinville. After fishing it all day in Idaho I couldn't get the ferrules apart no matter what I used. I was afraid I was going to break the darned thing so I let it sit overnight and the next morning they finally came apart with an extra set of hands and jar lid removers. WHEW! It was a close call. A narrow escape.

Cliff

Steelhead
Yes jar lid removers. I couldn't think of what they were called either. Let's just call them jar lid removers from now on.

I once borrowed a three piece Payne with bamboo ferrules from a mutual friend of ours, Robert near Woodinville. After fishing it all day in Idaho I couldn't get the ferrules apart no matter what I used. I was afraid I was going to break the darned thing so I let it sit overnight and the next morning they finally came apart with an extra set of hands and jar lid removers. WHEW! It was a close call. A narrow escape.
I think I remember that incident. I think I was with you guys on Kelly Creek?