Turks & Caicos

So...I was planning a wheeling trip with some buddies in April for Moab, but it looks like that trip is getting postponed for the fall...my wife had already planned a trip with some family to go to the Turks & Caicos, so I'm now going as well. I know some of you have posted some ties for bones here, so I'm looking to tie some up as well...any suggestions would be helpful pattern-wise; ditto for clousers or patterns for cudas & small jacks as well.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anything tan worked well for me on my two trips there. Gotchas, Mini Puffs, Crazy Charlies.
Tie some blind to avoid the plunk sound in case you encounter spooky or super shallow fish.
I assume you’ll be in Provo. If so and you have time and the flights work out, consider taking a plane over to South Caicos and fish for the day with Ganger from Beyond the Blue. Several folks did that while I was there. Caught the morning flight in and the even flight out after fishing. It’s been awhile since I was there, but Bibo Jayne will be able to tell you if it is still possible.
Accessing the big flats via their airboat was one of my favorite fishing experiences.
Good luck and have a fun trip.
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
We will be staying at Grace Bay Beach on Provedenciales between North and West Caicos islands...

I stayed there as well on one of my trips. Beautiful beach there.
There is some DIY fishing on the island. The daily guide rates in Provo are pretty crazy expensive.
SF

Fleyefish

Just Hatched
I did pretty well out near the end of Turtle Tail Dr (continuance of Venetian Rd). Vast flats but be aware that the bottom can be deceptively muddy in places and there were a few times I was quickly in up to my knees. Hard to be stealthy when you are working hard just to stand! Tan and brown Charlies were all I used...some big bones there!

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I stayed there as well on one of my trips. Beautiful beach there.
There is some DIY fishing on the island. The daily guide rates in Provo are pretty crazy expensive.
SF
Real expensive, but they can get you casting to massive schools of bones down by Middle Caicos. Schools in the thousands. You can get tired of catching them.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Real expensive, but they can get you casting to massive schools of bones down by Middle Caicos. Schools in the thousands. You can get tired of catching them.

No doubt it is expensive there based on how the government is funded. There was no way though I was paying $1,200.00 for a day of guided bone fishing, which is what I was quoted 15 years ago. I paid $550.00 per day the previous year in the Keys.
We also saw lots of big schools of bones around east and south Caicos for about half the daily cost back then. Plus accessing the flats in the airboat was a blast. It was so fun, I went back the next year.
As mentioned, there are some good DIY options there as well.
SF

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
No doubt it is expensive there based on how the government is funded. There was no way though I was paying $1,200.00 for a day of guided bone fishing, which is what I was quoted 15 years ago. I paid $550.00 per day the previous year in the Keys.
We also saw lots of big schools of bones around east and south Caicos for about half the daily cost back then. Plus accessing the flats in the airboat was a blast. It was so fun, I went back the next year.
As mentioned, there are some good DIY options there as well.
SF
It’s 1500 a day now…

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I did pretty well out near the end of Turtle Tail Dr (continuance of Venetian Rd). Vast flats but be aware that the bottom can be deceptively muddy in places and there were a few times I was quickly in up to my knees. Hard to be stealthy when you are working hard just to stand! Tan and brown Charlies were all I used...some big bones there!
Size 6 & 8’s?…should I tie any 4’s?

Chucker

Steelhead
Those will work on un-pressured fish. If there’s any significant fishing pressure, I think I do better with buggier flies like the Veverka’s mantis shrimp or rubber leg bunny Gotcha’s. I have also caught lots of bonefish with small sparse crab patterns. 4’s and 6’s are standard for bonefish. Most guides will seldom pick out an 8 from your box.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m tying some spawning shrimp patterns and a few bone worms as well…and I’ve heard in the Caribbean they throw 4’s as well

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
8E937EF1-44C7-4FBD-989D-8DB7B0124E44.jpegFlying out in the morning…a couple last minute ties…bone worm in tan and a few in brown