Turkey

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
For the first time I’m going to try for a turkey this spring. I’m doing pretty good on the slate so far with decent clucks and purrs. I got a 24” barrel for my BPS and I’ll be wrapping the gun with Mossyoak. Then off to the range to patterning different loads and chokes. My stepson has property over by Davenport and we’ll start there, I’ll try Mt Hull by my property too. Looking forward to some turkey schnitzel…

Who else is heading out?

atomic dog

Steelhead
Last spring was my first time turkey hunting, and it was a hoot. I didn't bag one, but I just about crapped myself when I called one for 45 minutes and then like magic it sauntered out of the trees nearby. Father in law missed the shot and he scooted off never to be seen again (the turkey, not my FIL.). This was up not far from your casa, Roper. Also found a couple new spots with turkey sign up that way while deer hunting, so looking forward to getting back up there in April. I'm also trying to figure things out down in the Blues above Dayton.

B

bennysbuddy

if you want to find a gobbler ,walk around at dusk and occasionally blow a hoot owl call. if a tom is roosting in a tree nearby they usually will shock gobble & give you a idea where to be in the morning. try to be down hill from them as they like to glide down from their roost in the morning

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
if you want to find a gobbler ,walk around at dusk and occasionally blow a hoot owl call. if a tom is roosting in a tree nearby they usually will shock gobble & give you a idea where to be in the morning. try to be down hill from them as they like to glide down from their roost in the morning
Shock calls. Got it…crow works too…

Breck

The Whisk(e)y Dick
For the first time I’m going to try for a turkey this spring. I’m doing pretty good on the slate so far with decent clucks and purrs. I got a 24” barrel for my BPS and I’ll be wrapping the gun with Mossyoak. Then off to the range to patterning different loads and chokes. My stepson has property over by Davenport and we’ll start there, I’ll try Mt Hull by my property too. Looking forward to some turkey schnitzel…

Who else is heading out?
If you make it to my neck of the woods in the Spring or Fall, bring your shotgun. You can drop turkeys in my yard from my front deck. No lie.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
If you make it to my neck of the woods in the Spring or Fall, bring your shotgun. You can drop turkeys in my yard from my front deck. No lie.
I’ll keep that in mind, thanks. I’ll look at Montanas seasons and regs.

Breck

The Whisk(e)y Dick
I’ll keep that in mind, thanks. I’ll look at Montanas seasons and regs.
I can’t imagine a non-res small game license and Turkey tag would break the bank too much. Large game on the other hand……oof. $$$$$$$

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Evening just before dusk and mornings as the sun comes up, they'll call you. Just like waterfowl, talk back to 'em just like they talk to you, they'll come right in.

Or plant tomatoes. They come in for those, too.

B

bennysbuddy

do you view them as a pest yet ?