Tuna 2022, let the games begin!

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I have heard Nick say multiple times that while on the troll albacore are less discriminating and can be pickier when casting at a stop. But I'm not totally sold on that point after my last three trips. On August 24th, a day in which the boat overall did quite well (24 fish in the boat), I fished a green tube fly for most of the day
GreenTubeFly6301.jpg
and hooked only one fish. Yet, the fly looked good to me.
On my two trips last week, I fished black over white shock-and-awe flies and had far more consistent action on the troll, on the slide, and while casting at a stop.
DarkShockAndAwe6299.jpg
As the major prey for the two weeks were juvenile sauries (but much smaller, maybe 1.5", than these 3" flies) that have a white/silvery belly and dark dorsal coloration, the shock-and-awe matched the colors better.
Unfortunately, there are soooo many other variables that can determine success of a day of albacore fishing (e.g., time of day, weather, bait distribution, etc.) (and albacore can be opportunistic too), it is hard to make firm conclusions even from three long days of fishing.
Steve

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I dunno, I'd stick with a large Seahawks fly....it's bound to get crushed, creamed and destroyed. :LOL:

I've decided to name that Hawks fly of mine that really seems to keep getting killed, Pete.

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I can neither confirm nor deny that the Seahawks fly is in my fly box right now 😄

Bagman

Steelhead
Let me add one very important point and I do speak from experience, do not and I repeat Don’t use old leader, I think I broke off at least 5 fish 4 of which were on old at least 5 years 30lb mono. @alpinetrout said “ you should not be breaking 30lb leader on albacore“ thanks to @SliverFly for giving me some of his leader 25lb mono. Oh ya the shock and awe seem to be a good choice or at least a fly tied very close to it, only the colors change some what, but @MattB had a black over white with some purple hackle tied in like a half and half, but with out dumb bell eyes That also caught fish.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Let me add one very important point and I do speak from experience, do not and I repeat Don’t use old leader, I think I broke off at least 5 fish 4 of which were on old at least 5 years 30lb mono. @alpinetrout said “ you should not be breaking 30lb leader on albacore“ thanks to @SliverFly for giving me some of his leader 25lb mono. Oh ya the shock and awe seem to be a good choice or at least a fly tied very close to it, only the colors change some what, but @MattB had a black over white with some purple hackle tied in like a half and half, but with out dumb bell eyes That also caught fish.
Not sure if fluorocarbon breaks down over time, but nylon mono definitely does.

Think I gave you 20# P-Line fluorocarbon. Also use Seaguar FC. Haven't had any problems with either brand. Glad Brendan was looking out for you, but at least you were hooking fish - that's the good part.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
These, posted several pages back:
1662612502298.jpeg

They both had eyes at one point. And they caught fish on troll and cast/strip (one hand strip in this case) without eyes. Shock-n-Awe is a great pattern for trolling. What a stable profile. But I hate casting those heavy flies like Shock-n-Awes on the tuna deck where you hopefully have at least some kind of narrow lane to make a weird contortionist cast. I’m just not that good I guess. These unweighted flies are more my speed on the casting front, and it doesn’t make sense to me to troll one pattern then need to reel up at a stop and start casting another if I can use a pattern that I like for both.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
These, posted several pages back:
View attachment 31038

They both had eyes at one point. And they caught fish on troll and cast/strip (one hand strip in this case) without eyes. Shock-n-Awe is a great pattern for trolling. What a stable profile. But I hate casting those heavy flies like Shock-n-Awes on the tuna deck where you hopefully have at least some kind of narrow lane to make a weird contortionist cast. I’m just not that good I guess. These unweighted flies are more my speed on the casting front, and it doesn’t make sense to me to troll one pattern then need to reel up at a stop and start casting another if I can use a pattern that I like for both.

I don't typically fish tuna flies with weight other than what resin adds to the heads, and seem to do OK trolling and casting. I'm also fishing lines with heavy integrated heads.

Beyond keeping flies under the surface when trolling, I really think these lines are key to performing well in this fishery. Typically there's little need for punching 60+ foot casts, but they'll do that and more if needed.

More important is the ability to turn over relatively small flies in tight quarters and sink them quickly. Often only a simple roll cast is needed, especially on the upwind side where the drift will take line while the head takes it down.

Gunning long casts off the bow has its place, but roll casting and stack mending will get you into plenty of fish ... with the right fly and retrieve.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Well my date with Nick got canceled due to ocean conditions. Bummed I may not get the opportunity to experience his program this year :(

Hopefully I get at least one more opportunity in my own boat before it's over. One trip a season isn't enough.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well my date with Nick got canceled due to ocean conditions. Bummed I may not get the opportunity to experience his program this year :(

Hopefully I get at least one more opportunity in my own boat before it's over. One trip a season isn't enough.
Agreed. Hoping to get out at least once more also. A buddy has his boat in Ilwaco this month but it'll be a gear show with maybe a late op to FF if they are cooperating. I'm OK manning a jig or bait rod for a day.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Our trip Sunday got cancelled and I am super bummed. I went out twice last year with minimal success but our trip last month was amazing and really got the juices flowing. We’re trying to rebook for a date later this month or next so hopefully we can make it happen!

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Our trip Sunday got cancelled and I am super bummed. I went out twice last year with minimal success but our trip last month was amazing and really got the juices flowing. We’re trying to rebook for a date later this month or next so hopefully we can make it happen!
Bummer dude! This might be thread drift, but I’ve been wondering about the logic puzzle of when best to book a tuna trip to maximize odds of a) not getting a weather cancellation and b) catching fish, with the understanding that if you don’t get a) then you’re def not getting b).

It sounds to me like the fishing typically continues to get better from July onward thru say October, but the prime weather window is basically August and tails off sharply in say mid- to late-September. Does that sound about right?

The superstitious angler in me also wants to hit closer to new moon than full moon. Any other considerations? I assume we’re not too worried about point in the tidal cycle other than the correspondence to moon phase?

So perfect world I’m thinking mid to end of August, wherever the combo of new moon + weekend dictates?

I understand that it’s a crapshoot, but please take this in the spirit of idle speculation. Also I know that the real answer is to book three or more trips like some of you sickos, but I’m not in a phase of life where that’s gonna happen!

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Bummer dude! This might be thread drift, but I’ve been wondering about the logic puzzle of when best to book a tuna trip to maximize odds of a) not getting a weather cancellation and b) catching fish, with the understanding that if you don’t get a) then you’re def not getting b).

It sounds to me like the fishing typically continues to get better from July onward thru say October, but the prime weather window is basically August and tails off sharply in say mid- to late-September. Does that sound about right?

The superstitious angler in me also wants to hit closer to new moon than full moon. Any other considerations? I assume we’re not too worried about point in the tidal cycle other than the correspondence to moon phase?

So perfect world I’m thinking mid to end of August, wherever the combo of new moon + weekend dictates?

I understand that it’s a crapshoot, but please take this in the spirit of idle speculation. Also I know that the real answer is to book three or more trips like some of you sickos, but I’m not in a phase of life where that’s gonna happen!
It's a crap shoot, late August early Sept is the best bet I hear. I would not want to worry about moon phase there's too much variables already :)
We got lucky and everything aligned on our trip. Literally the day before got canceled due to weather yet the sea was mild on our day. Damnit that was a lot of fun! Just when you think that fish is whupped by the boat it takes off and raps your knuckles so bad :)

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ok, I’ve been hearing reports of tuna chasing smaller and smaller saurie these past couple of weeks. I’ve never been out this late in the season, so…How small?

I have some shock & awe based on Anil’s pattern that I’ve tied up for SRC and coho. This small, but with a tuna sized hook and with a saurie profile?

What say you o sultans of salt? You titans of tuna?

228CB5D8-23CA-422F-A992-6AC62E6C3C81.jpeg
770B3DAC-49C7-44EE-AF93-EE96EE88416C.jpegC3D80C75-BD96-45E1-A78B-F23FF9160C3D.jpeg

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'd be most comfortable at 3 inches to start. This one bagged me a lot of fish, 2/0 stinger.

View attachment 32510
3” I can do, easy. Been tying a lot of tubes to counter the short striking some folks have encountered as well.

Love those spawn heads. Will definitely detour to visit Josh and/or the shop when I head out to Westport.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
3” I can do, easy. Been tying a lot of tubes to counter the short striking some folks have encountered as well.

Love those spawn heads. Will definitely detour to visit Josh and/or the shop when I head out to Westport.
Those heads do create some turbulence and impart some action on the fly.

Bagman

Steelhead
Has anyone found the Aug. fishing magazine that @Nick Clayton said was talking about the fly fisherman catching albacore on flyrods? I know @SliverFly posted a pic of his back pulling up a long fin that he got as a online order but I have not found one of the magazines any where.