Tumwater Salmon Spectacular

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
@Gyrfalcon22 Any day now they should release the final Enviornmental Impact Statement with decision of lake, estuary or hybrid (fall ‘22). Three options were brought forth and it looks like the estuary is the likely route.

ETA 7-13 years per project timeline.
When you hear the decision, can you please let us know what it is?

Divad

Whitefish
When you hear the decision, can you please let us know what it is?
Will do 👍 I have family a couple blocks from it so we have been watching it closely. The Hybrid seamed to offer everybody something, and even make recreation available, but it was extremely costly. Look forward to whatever they do because right now it's just a hazard and to the bodies of water nearby.

I am sufficiently jealous of those experiences @Salmo_g and @Scott Salzer

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Will do 👍 I have family a couple blocks from it so we have been watching it closely. The Hybrid seamed to offer everybody something, and even make recreation available, but it was extremely costly. Look forward to whatever they do because right now it's just a hazard and to the bodies of water nearby.

I am sufficiently jealous of those experiences @Salmo_g and @Scott Salzer
Divad, does the estuary plan mean the mud flats would be exposed, like near Swantown marina? I understood that high tide in historic times would go all the way up to the falls!

Divad

Whitefish
Divad, does the estuary plan mean the mud flats would be exposed, like near Swantown marina? I understood that high tide in historic times would go all the way up to the falls!
Yup, very similar and I believe South Basin up to the falls would receive tidal flow. But I think they’ll have to take out the bridge or alter it at Marathon Park, it’s part of the sediment issue.

C8B4D269-EDE0-490B-8B63-857AF4B480EA.jpeg
052CAB8D-6350-470A-92C8-008A38BEED8A.jpeg
04EBC153-098C-4371-A273-B7035B39DAED.png

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Great photos! I was at the bridge that goes to west Olympia (main bridge downtown) about 12 hours before the Nisqually quake hit in feb 2001 that took some guardrails off and it was subsequently replaced. That was a rocker while living there !
Will be neat to see how this evolves.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
Estuary it is, Final EIS confirms.

A neat graph that represents the tidal effect on the North Basin, to much surprise the "reflecting pool" will remain with water a majority of the time.

1666818867470.png

In 3-5 years you'll see construction and in 7-13 a finished product. "Project actions...would restore the ability to boat and fish throughout the system" Also an added trail/boardwalk is in the works to move you closer to the water in the middle and south basins.

1666819470307.png
High Water
1666819512814.png

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Sounds like the setup for a joke.
One October day one-armed Sven was catching boot kings in Capital lake
He saw Iris Maple struggling to land a monster salmon
Everyone knew one-armed Sven for his acts of sudden kindness and a regrettably unstable mood disorder
Just like everyone knew Iris Maple had one wooden eyeball made of stunning maple burl
"Miss Maple, do you need some help?"
And she says
"Is that who I think it is? Sven? Would you... I could use a hand..."
Sven, incensed, shouts back
"Wood Eye, Wood Eye"

Shad

Life of the Party
So glad to hear they are finally restoring that estuary. I think it will benefit the entire Sound.