Truck bed camping

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I always admire slick setups. You know, smart ones that are easy & fast. And they get bonus points if they don't cost a bunch of money. I mean, I'd love to just buy a Super Pacific X1 and call it good, but my next $15k is probably going toward a better boat or a travel trailer that would meet my wife's requirements.

I was getting too old & cranky to tent camp, especially in the rain or cold, so I bought a canopy for my 2013 F150 6.5' bed with the idea of using it for overnighters or even 3 day weekend type of trips. I'm 6'4" and have a 9.6' raft so the 6.5' bed was no-brainer.
And I was hoping to find a mid-rise canopy to make the longer trips a bit more enjoyable, but when I had the chance at a really nice used Leer XL100 that matched my not so common color I grabbed it. The bonus is the regular height canopy means I can still fit the truck in the garage.

My first iteration of a sleeping/storage was fine, but too big to store when not in the truck, too tall to comfortably sit on and a few other annoyances:
20220603_210321_HDR~2.jpg

So I lowered it and was a little happier. Btw, the platform was made out of an old long dresser that my wife and I had for 20 years and some leftover plywood. It was beefy...read heavy. But it served me pretty well on a few trips. It was really nice for trips that didn't involve my raft. If using my Commander, tube or boat I could setup at home and leave it. Worked great for rough spots that appeal to me. Like this:
20220603_204925_HDR~2.jpg
But it was too much trouble when the raft was in play. And I didn't want any reasons keeping me from utilizing the raft. So, I scrapped the old build and watched a ton of YouTube truck camper videos. Holy crap, there's a bunch of them.

One guy had many of the same requirements that I did- 1- Quick setup, 2- Few parts for better truck storage...aka an inflated 9.6' raft! 3- More headroom than I had before.

I'll post his video at the end because he deserves a shout out. His ideas were what I was looking for and the biggest of those was 1/4x20 inserts so setup & take down is effortless.

Here's the new platform that is lower, lighter, and can be taken down and stacked at the front of the bed, under the raft.
20230516_195017~2.jpg

I have a big 56 quart bin that fits underneath it that holds all I need for an overnighter or a long day on the raft.
20230516_195055.jpg
I can also store 3 fully rigged rods in cases, oars, battery pump and a couple smaller bags like a my OPST waist pack that is also an awesome boat bag. Highly recommend.
Adding 2 Rubbermaid Roughneck bins would give me enough stuff for a multiple night trip and those can go in the back of the crew cab.

The quick take down is due 2x8s with the inserts. The bed is 3 pieces of 3/4 plywood. The pieces at my head and my feet are bolted. The piece in the middle that is just a bit bigger than the bin will be hinged so I can access it while inside the canopy. I've been in enough downpours to make that a requirement. They will be flag hinges for quick pull-apart take down.
20230516_195414.jpg

The tailgate is naked right now since I finally removed the damn Ford stripper pole and knee busting plastic POS cover. The handle is nice if the canopy is off and I'm needing to jump in and out of the truck a lot. But that is so rare it's not worth it. The bar also made loading the raft harder since it sticks up quite a bit even when tucked down into it's horizontal resting place.
A Hooke Road ABS tailgate cover is on it's way! They get good reviews and will be a very overdue mod. My knees can't wait.

Once taken down, which takes about 3 minutes, the 2x8s lay flat, side by side, right down the middle of the bed and then the 3 pieces of plywood and the bin stack on top of them.
I confirmed the raft still fits in the bed with the parts like that. Mission accomplished.

Here's the video-

And his step by step video is also good. I used 2x8s on edge instead of his style of runners. I think it's more stable and easier to store.

Let's see some dirtbag chalets! I know I'm not the only slacker making due in the back of a truck. :LOL:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
That looks sweet! I miss my long bed Toyota 22r. I built a nice (permanently installed) bed in it with storage. I lived out of it for a few years 25 years ago, traveling around the west and southwest and camping in awesome spots in the national forests.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is an older thread showing mine and some other thoughts.
My build is a little more complicated but I also used nutserts for ease of disassembly.
The panels with the fingerpulls are held by magnetic catches and there's three lift off panels under the trifold pad.
There's three bins for all of my essentials on a piece of plywood that easily slides in and out on the carpet below.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I went a slightly different route, but not too far off what you did. I bought a cot that sits about 4" above the bed. Then I placed a shelf up against the back of the cab sitting on the sides of the truck body against the inside of the topper. With my feet toward the cab (extending under the shelf) I can leave my stuff in the truck and still have space next to the cot so I don't feel too cramped.

The biggest lesson was to get a screw top jug so I don't have to dismount in order to pee in the night. By the time I opened the hatch and tailgate, climbed down, did my thing and the climbed back up my heartrate sure as hell wasn't in sleeping mode!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is an older thread showing mine and some other thoughts.
My build is a little more complicated but I also used nutserts for ease of disassembly.
The panels with the fingerpulls are held by magnetic catches and there's three lift off panels under the trifold pad.
There's three bins for all of my essentials on a piece of plywood that easily slides in and out on the carpet below.
Really nice build man! Haha! I just replied to the old thread. You can ignore. What mattress is that?

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I went a slightly different route, but not too far off what you did. I bought a cot that sits about 4" above the bed. Then I placed a shelf up against the back of the cab sitting on the sides of the truck body against the inside of the topper. With my feet toward the cab (extending under the shelf) I can leave my stuff in the truck and still have space next to the cot so I don't feel too cramped.

The biggest lesson was to get a screw top jug so I don't have to dismount in order to pee in the night. By the time I opened the hatch and tailgate, climbed down, did my thing and the climbed back up my heartrate sure as hell wasn't in sleeping mode!
Yeah, that's a good idea. And yes! A pee pot/bottle is essential for truck camping. I was on the Met in October. The 2nd morning was 24 degrees. I'm not getting out to pee in that!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For anyone that has considered any of the flat tailgate covers out there. It's only been on for a week, but I've already gone inside the bed several times working on some overhead storage and really like this Hooke Road ABS cover. So nice on the knees and butt! And WAY easier to slide in the raft.
The bolts that come with it aren't the greatest and the Ford tailgate is infamous for terrible threads so I had to use different bolts on 3 of the holes. Luckily, some stainless ones I had from some other project did the trick.
20230519_111924.jpg

Hooke Road doesn't sell them on their website any longer, but instead on ebay. My offer of $129 was accepted. Free shipping too. Hard to beat.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Received the cot sized (75x31) 4" Deluxe tri-fold mattress from Milliard. It's been out of the vacuum packaging for over 24 hours now. I laid down on it and I'm kicking myself in the ass for not ordering one years ago! Years of sleeping on cheap pads in backs of trucks and river banks made me tough....no, no...sore & stupid. Haha! What was I thinking?
Save up and buy one. They're cheaper if you buy them direct from Milliard instead of Amazon. Can't wait for the next overnighter now.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Received the cot sized (75x31) 4" Deluxe tri-fold mattress from Milliard. It's been out of the vacuum packaging for over 24 hours now. I laid down on it and I'm kicking myself in the ass for not ordering one years ago! Years of sleeping on cheap pads in backs of trucks and river banks made me tough....no, no...sore & stupid. Haha! What was I thinking?
Save up and buy one. They're cheaper if you buy them direct from Milliard instead of Amazon. Can't wait for the next overnighter now.
Thanks, I'll check those out! I got one of these and it's the best pad that I've slept on so far:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If your truck doesn't have something to compensate for the tailgate weight, you really should have something like this:
Amazon product ASIN B000CMHVJO
It'll save your arm.
Yeah, I think that is in my future. It's funny, when I got my 2013 F150 I thought "wow, the tail-gate is light!" This was compared to my old 2000 F150.
It's really light without the stripper pole, but now that the ABS cover is on there it's a bit heavier than the pole. It's still lighter than my 2000 though!

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks, I'll check those out! I got one of these and it's the best pad that I've slept on so far:
I've been using an Exped inflatable pad on my float trips. Its worked really well for three years now with no pressure loss (as long as the cotton filling stays clear of the exhaust valve!). It comes with a clever bag for inflating called a Snozzle Sack. Picture a light weight dry bag with a long nose to it. The nose connects to the fill valve. You fill the sack with air (by just opening it up or letting the wind fill it) and then roll the top edges together to create a seal. Then squeeze it like a bellows and the air travels through the nose. Three or four of these bagfuls and the mat is fully inflated. I'm a big believer!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Finally have a chance to camp on the new setup this weekend. Here is it with the trusty Tommy Bahama chair, new Milliard 4" mattress and my old summer bag. Bringing a top sheet since it's gonna be a hot one. Pretty stoked I don't have to worry about an air mattress going flat.

I can put my battery powered fan in the overhead mesh (NRS raft cargo platform) along with a LED lamp and phone. I also have a mesh bag for quick storage that can hang on the side since it has nice Velcro that attaches to the canopy carpet. It's a bonus as it's the bag that came with the new Onyx AM24 PFD I just got. Speaking of bonuses...using the cardboard from my bow mount trolling motor box as window coverings. Just glued some Velcro on em and they're ready to go. Haha!

I should be pretty darn comfy besides the possible high heat.

20230627_173009.jpg

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ive's Crusin' Casa continues to evolve. Recently I have widened the bed area by 3'' so it is now 31'' x 77''. This allows me to use a wider rectangular sleeping bag in mild weather instead of my cold weather mummy bags. To do this I removed the kitchen unit and bed frame from the truck to make the job easier. While I had it out I painted it to match the rest of the interior cabinets and added some reinforcements. It still makes into a chaise lounge but it does it much easier now. It is so nice to be able to sit up and read or text without the discomfort of a cab high canopy.

While the kitchen unit was out I cleaned up some electrical routing and added a second AGM battery to power an LED light set. A new LED set has been added that surrounds the liftgate on the canopy and has a far more intuitive remote control than the old one. The old one was so baffling that it went to the landfill. Now I can have red illumination at night which I prefer to the usual glaring white light. And I have separate batteries for the water pump and the lights, both running through an individual illuminated rocker switch. Additional USB ports were also added.

A Kovea Cupid butane heater joins the Iwatani butane stove, the kitchen unit stores 4 spare canisters out of sight until needed. The Blackstone griddle still uses the little green propane bottles but I fill them myself for about fifty cents apiece and they last a long time. The griddle hides under the refrigerator at the rear of the truck and is completely out of the way.
I am still finding that the 100w solar panel I have been using is adequate for my needs. I have often thought about adding a second one but until I have an actual need for it there is little use. The refrigerator will run for days on the Jackery with no charging but the truck can charge the Jackery while driving as the fridge continues to run. My electrical needs are pretty light, I carry 3 small USB powered fans that run for hours on low and can be easily recharged. I think I have at least 7 different LED lights inside for anything from hospital operating room brightness down to soft colored lights that barely illuminate. Phone and a big lithium powered spotlight can also be charged when needed and the flashlight is so powerful that it also has USB outlets and can run my LED's if necessary

One of my favorite lights is the solar powered (or USB) Luminaid rectangular inflatable light with the attached solar panel. I put this under my hood or under the engine at night to discourage varmints from chewing on my wiring. My particular one has worked for 56 hours in one test so you can get several nights off of a single charge. Sticking it on the dash against the windshield during the day keeps it topped off. So far no critters.

I added a sheet of reflective film to the back window of the canopy making it very difficult to see in now. Finally I put a panel of birch plywood on the tailgate that I stained, coated with clear
Flex Seal and attached with stainless collar screws. It all looks fresh and crisp and ready for fall camping. Next week anti-skid strips arrive that will be placed on the bed frame to prevent the mattress from scooting around.

In a few days Freestone should be here for a while and maybe we can do a photo shoot and post some pictures of the current Casa. A lot going on in a very small space.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Finally have a chance to camp on the new setup this weekend. Here is it with the trusty Tommy Bahama chair, new Milliard 4" mattress and my old summer bag. Bringing a top sheet since it's gonna be a hot one. Pretty stoked I don't have to worry about an air mattress going flat.

I can put my battery powered fan in the overhead mesh (NRS raft cargo platform) along with a LED lamp and phone. I also have a mesh bag for quick storage that can hang on the side since it has nice Velcro that attaches to the canopy carpet. It's a bonus as it's the bag that came with the new Onyx AM24 PFD I just got. Speaking of bonuses...using the cardboard from my bow mount trolling motor box as window coverings. Just glued some Velcro on em and they're ready to go. Haha!

I should be pretty darn comfy besides the possible high heat.

View attachment 70550
I've been thinking of doing something similar w/my 2000 f150. 8 ft bed, topped by a very cheap, non vented aluminum canopy I bought right after getting the truck. But I'd planned on designing it, and having TAPP plastics cut it and install the inserts for me from UMHW... So, it would come as a kit.
I've thought of using Chicago screws for most of the hardware.
Does that seem doable?

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've been thinking of doing something similar w/my 2000 f150. 8 ft bed, topped by a very cheap, non vented aluminum canopy I bought right after getting the truck. But I'd planned on designing it, and having TAPP plastics cut it and install the inserts for me from UMHW... So, it would come as a kit.
I've thought of using Chicago screws for most of the hardware.
Does that seem doable?
I had an aluminum canopy on a 1992 Nissan hardbody. I never put felt or carpet on it so it was very cold in the winter. It also meant condensation would drip on you if you slept over on a cold night. Not good.
And it had basic crank/tilt windows that didn't let much air in so it was also hot in the summer. Haha!

I had a nice fiberglass shell on a Toyota T100 that also didn't have felt or carpet so it was cold (and wet, but a little less so) as well. It at least had nice big screened slider windows so it was pretty nice in the summer.
I also put a nice carpeted platform in there to sleep on and store stuff underneath. My large mutt's kennel would fit in a carved out spot toward the front. I would sleep with my feet toward the cab right by his kennel. He was too big! Haha!
Here's the big mutt in the back of the T100 with the only grouse I ever shot at my local (and very popular) pheasant site. Man we had that place dialed!
Crescentgrouse.jpg

Anyway, my dirt-bag chalet experience tells me you'll want to carpet that aluminum and you'll want the biggest screened windows you can manage. My Leer has the wing crank outs, which dog people love, but I wish it just had regular sliders that resulted in more open window. I use a battery powered fan to help keep the air moving. They are WAY better than the ones I had on the aluminum shell.

If I was in your position I would get the fold up windows that can also have a big sliding screen. The fold ups help you access stuff from the outside, which is a big deal with an 8' bed and still have max air flow without bugs. Something like this:
Screenshot 2023-06-29 211941.png

If I had some extra dough and I camped more often, this would be my next upgrade.

Your project sounds awesome! As a tall dude, an 8' bed sounds awesome to sleep in. Just not to drive or park. ;)

Good luck!