Trout and their lairs

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Foam line against the slanted rock.

6164B254-85D7-43F8-B200-C260D66B5104_zpsf6tuk4rv.jpg

Threw my hopper in at the top and right about where the other foam line comes together to form the V I saw a beak break the surface. My fly then disappeared.

FullSizeRender(32).jpg

Not the biggest fish but we were 20 miles in on a backpack, exploring a new to us piece of water, in just a spectacular setting.

AF5D5E77-1037-4248-9CB5-B8DB8E8BE600_zpsqav2tqve.jpg

Lots of stoke off that trip...and fish.

Tallguy

Steelhead
I'll play.. couple older pictures from when I lived in Reno and sometimes actually took pictures of fish.

The best fish I got with my son on my back. That's a serious Truckee brown; carpenter ant dry against the rock.
Ed and andrew Brown.jpg

And a pretty rainbow, dirty-assed nymphing in the spring. Sort of sitting in the bubble line above my head.
Yuba Bow 12_2011_1.JPG

my son sometimes catches fish too. Wish he was still this excited about it (he is almost 9 now and a lot bigger). Washington kokanee in a lake.
20170514_082205.jpg

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
20210827_114807.jpg
Not the prettiest picture but shows strange places that fish hold in.

Orange arrow points out the trout.

Green arrow designates which way the current flows.

Preface: the camera's perspective is not where the angler would be casting from. It's possible but he would spook the fish 9/10.

The casting station, not visible in the image, is toward the top right corner of the picture (the angler wades out to a submerged boulder). It requires about an 80-85ft cast aimed toward the exposed boulder with the dry fly landing about 10 ft upstream of the fish and a good back mend (that doesn't spook the fish)

It's a dead drift presentation for about 5 ft before the current grabs the line and rips the fly out of the zone.

Kinda technical but rewarding.

20181025_111701.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

This lengthy brown fell to a small bugger swung through a small seam at the confluence of a Spring Creek and the river. An ~ 2' deep - 6' long undercut hole at the edge of the river takes the great majority of the Spring Creek flow as it enters the river. Always a lot of fish stacked in there feeding on stuff coming out of the creek. The section starts in ~ 4:30 of the above video.

012dbece8e6865c6119f0fcb3783bd4e0f0dcc58f7.jpg

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
View attachment 9724
Not the prettiest picture but shows strange places that fish hold in.

Orange arrow points out the trout.

Green arrow designates which way the current flows.

Preface: the camera's perspective is not where the angler would be casting from. It's possible but he would spook the fish 9/10.

The casting station, not visible in the image, is toward the top right corner of the picture (the angler wades out to a submerged boulder). It requires about an 80-85ft cast aimed toward the exposed boulder with the dry fly landing about 10 ft upstream of the fish and a good back mend (that doesn't spook the fish)

It's a dead drift presentation for about 5 ft before the current grabs the line and rips the fly out of the zone.

Kinda technical but rewarding.

View attachment 9725
Is that rod a quad?

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
68FA9C41-C1E9-41CF-99CA-0841AEC5A10E.jpeg
One thing I’ve been a big believer in for a long time is making the first presentation count on a trout stream. I like to study the flow and pin point what I believe to be the prime lie. No rush, nice and relaxed. This spot was pretty obvious, nice rock at the head of the deepest spot with a soft pillow in front of it under the bubble trail. First cast this rainbow exploded on it just in front of the arrow. Nice fish for a small stream and pulled hard on my 4wt glass.

91A02C52-4DC8-4866-8CD3-13DCE173260F.jpeg

B169E2D3-B078-406B-9EA2-67913A732754.jpeg
Here was a stunning pool on an Alaskan stream. Just upstream in that left channel was a shallow choppy flat with a dozen pairs of spawning pink salmon. This pool looked like a great spot for a nice fish to be waiting for chow. Tough spot to get the drift I wanted with the two colliding currents so I had to really study it for a few minutes before I made the cast. Cast upstream into the chute on the left, downstream mend, high stick a little, then flip the line upstream and behind the bobber at just the right moment…. was expecting the bobber to drain a little sooner but the second the flow evened up down towards the end of the rock wall the bobber rocketed down and a big fish for that little river went apeshit. I ended up catching 14 dollies and 3 rainbows in that little pool, but the big fish was first.
BE47A6F4-706B-4D22-B923-9630CC0B75C5.jpeg

846F9410-3941-4068-B144-79580C5AE01D.jpeg
I was hiking upriver this day looking for new water on an especially crowded day when I noticed from the high bank this random Boulder in an otherwise flat and featureless tailout. The water was clear enough I stared at the Boulder for a solid 5 minutes trying to spot a fish. Couldn’t see anything despite the good light and vantage point. I was curious if I could even get a cast to it or wade it at all so I put my rod together and scrambled in there “just to see.” On the inside edge of that rock was a chromer hen that went totally ballistic. YAHTZEE.

079BB22D-3ECA-4B6B-A8C9-702174537E60.jpeg

In the interest of keeping this thread alive, I'll post another one. This from a tiny spring creek somewhere in the great state of Montana. There must be thousands of places like this in Montana. I wish I had time to find them all!

The current pushes up agains the grassy hummock on the right before sliding around towards the camera.
MT spring cr cutthroat lair.jpeg

This fat cutt was hiding right under the grass.
Montana Spring Cr. cutt.jpeg

QuickreleaseEN

Steelhead
A bit different perspective....

Who's resting under this cutbank?
IMG_9885.PNG

This guy:
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.36.41 PM.png

This mid teener buck may be among the baddest fish in the stream, but he still seeks his creature comforts during the daytime. Tucked two feet under a cut bank, he sleeps angled slightly sideways as to prop himself against a nice fungus-covered chuck of wood. Once nightime falls, he rouses to peruse the local spawning options and establish his dominance amongst the other bachelors.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Love this idea!

The hold is just outside the seam. Swing down to it, big downstream mend as you reach the seam to get your fly into it. These live there.

View attachment 9155

I have also caught many bull trout from this spot. Probably talked to you before.