Trolling Pontoons?

cdnred

Life of the Party
I put one on my frameless pontoon, using a mount I built based off pics from another member here. 30 lb thrust with a 40 ah life pro lithium battery. I don’t troll with it unless I decide to put a line out while moving around the lake, which is what I have it for. Works really well for that though.

View attachment 18834
Nice practical motor mount..

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Although I take oars , I seldom use them . I have fins , and I keep the boat running straight , and do everything with the fins , I can turn around in less then 10’, and be going the other direction with just the fins guiding me . A bit further with this Scadden , then with my other Scadden being 9’ .

The only time I even turn the motor is if I’ve got a side wind that I have to fight with the fins to keep the boat straight . I like my hands free to fish , strip the line etc . I wouldn’t even take oars if it wasn’t for the fact my motor could quit , or dead battery , and get caught in a wind that I can’t handle getting to shore with just fins .
Same thing here. Fins for guidance and an occasional boost to give the fly some action. PWM with a 50 ah LiFePO4 battery under 12 lbs.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Same thing here. Fins for guidance and an occasional boost to give the fly some action. PWM with a 50 ah LiFePO4 battery under 12 lbs.

That’s my next upgrades lithium battery, and PWM , just need to understand a bit more on the PWM setup . Friend just bought a 60 ah , pretty sweet as far as weight , not so much on price , but it’s my next battery after this AGM wears out .

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
One can tow a small wind sock or bucket to slow the speed of your troll as well.
I use the bucket to troll gear slow enough for freshwater sockeye in the lake with my sled.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
One can tow a small wind sock or bucket to slow the speed of your troll as well.
I use the bucket to troll gear slow enough for freshwater sockeye in the lake with my sled.

You must have that 5 speed forward ,2 speed reverse motor ? Have you reversed the motor head to see if speed one in forward is slow enough in reverse to troll ? Can't remember on mine , but did not like that 5 speeds at all. Didn't last long with that motor before going to variable speed .

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
You must have that 5 speed forward ,2 speed reverse motor ? Have you reversed the motor head to see if speed one in forward is slow enough in reverse to troll ? Can't remember on mine , but did not like that 5 speeds at all. Didn't last long with that motor before going to variable speed .
I was referring to my jet sled while gear fishing with a 9.9 hp outboard. Some times when going with the wind one can't troll slow enough for sockeye which prefer 1.0 to 1.3 mph in my experience.
I meant to infer the same principle can be used with an electric on a smaller craft particularly trolling with the wind.

mickey rat

Vermin
I'm in the process of putting a small trolling motor on my Outcast Scout AKA 'Lost Creek Xstreamer' that some of us bought. I had an old heavy trolling motor I used on my inflatable Achilles tender which was looking pretty sad after years in the salt. I decided to get a new super light weight Watersnake 24lb thrust for around $130.00. This hopefully is of some help to those looking to add a motor to their frameless pontoon.

I had a lot of input from @Haggis57 to get me on the path. I originally tried to use my existing steel motor bracket off the Achilles but it was design for a larger diameter tube. I bought glue on mounts and a plastic bracket on Amazon but used a heat gun to bend the bracket to match the bow. Doing this again, I'd bend the bottom too and get the bracket more vertical and then glue the mounts. I have room to lop off the top of the bracket by an inch to get the prop a little deeper. The 24" shaft is pretty short.

On the motor I removed the shaft adjustment piece and replaced that with a Newport steering triangle and shimmed the smaller diameter shaft with duct tape. Also 180'd the tiller around. What's nice is the tiller is spring loaded and retracts into the motor head until you need it. I've got a piece of poly cutting board ready to cut once I feel ready to play around with a rudder. I also found some round 1" plastic louvers on coming to aid cooling in the PWM. I'll be finishing up the steering lines like @Haggis57 has done in the next couple of days.

Pic 2 is the remote on sticky back velcro. The forward/off/reverse switch is on the front where it's less likely to get accidentally bumped.

Pic 3 shows the PWM which latches directly onto the battery box I use for both my 'Scout' and the dingy on our sailboat. I installed Anderson plugs, an SAE charging port and breaker on the NOCO box years ago for our sailboats NOCO charging system and the new PWM build latches up perfectly. I used Scotch Lock UR connectors for the control cable splices.

Pic 4 This shows the Anderson plug on top of the PWM where the motor leads are plugged in.

Pic 5 Shows the PWM unlatched and off the box and how I can bypass if the PWM croaks.

IMG_0339.jpg
IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg
Edit- I didn't like the motor height as it was so I came up with a few more inches. I lopped 1-1/2" off the top of the bracket on the table saw to where I can still toggle down the transom clamps. This likely won't work on other motor brands so I'd recommend a 30" shaft. Next I cut off the top inch or so of the steering triangle and which included the upper tightening bolt. Mo Betta.
IMG_0347.jpeg

Last edited:
For those concerned of running out of battery while underway these have been working great for me. On Amazon for $26.

Renogy 10W 12V Portable Solar Panel Battery Maintainer Trickle Charger with Lighter Plug, Alligator Clips, and Battery Cables​

Pez Vela

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For those concerned of running out of battery while underway these have been working great for me. On Amazon for $26.

Renogy 10W 12V Portable Solar Panel Battery Maintainer Trickle Charger with Lighter Plug, Alligator Clips, and Battery Cables​

Probably a dumb question but, can you charge the battery while you're running the motor?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter

DO NOT hook this up without a charge controller!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Been using them for months w/o a charge controller with NO problems at all. They stay hooked up, I never disconnect them.
What kind of battery? Does it have a built in controller?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I couldn't find any info at the panel listing other than it says plug 'n' play so I'm assuming the controller is built into the panel. Otherwise, you would boil your battery.

I couldn't find any info at the panel listing other than it says plug 'n' play so I'm assuming the controller is built into the panel. Otherwise, you would boil your battery.
I searched under the comments, and I could only find one guy that said it has a smart controller built in. It must have as I have 3 running full time in my gardens powering 3 of those batteries running little water transfer pumps. I have NO gripes about them whatsoever.