Trolling issues

Kado

Steelhead
I have problems keeping trout pinned while trolling from one location on a lake to another. This morning got quite a few aggressive grabs but lost almost all of them. I was using a #14 mini leech with a full sink line. I don't seem to have a problem if I'm stripping....it's only when I'm trolling. I've tried holding the rod pointed at my fly, sideways, and up at an angle. I've done upward and sideways hook sets.
One big grab and maybe a headshake....and gone. Maybe I need to not crimp my barbs as much....but no problem with a regular strip set.
Any help appreciated. Beautiful morning on a local lake.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@skyriver - a very loaded question you asked with a lot of 'it depends' in response...

Not really, but maybe I complicated it.
More simple this time- When he picks up the rod (to react to a hooked fish), how is he playing the fish? Really only 2 choices-
It's either on the reel or stripping line.

I am encouraging him to strip line rather than try to use the reel. Especially if on a slow troll and long line. I see lots of rookies lose fish trying to play them immediately on the reel.

Cheers,
Stacy

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I have problems keeping trout pinned while trolling from one location on a lake to another. This morning got quite a few aggressive grabs but lost almost all of them. I was using a #14 mini leech with a full sink line. I don't seem to have a problem if I'm stripping....it's only when I'm trolling. I've tried holding the rod pointed at my fly, sideways, and up at an angle. I've done upward and sideways hook sets.
One big grab and maybe a headshake....and gone. Maybe I need to not crimp my barbs as much....but no problem with a regular strip set.
Any help appreciated. Beautiful morning on a local lake.
How long is the tail on your leach. Some times the fish will short strike and only bite the tail. But I'm not much of a lake fisher. I prefer skinny water. But.................

Kado

Steelhead
These are all great ideas and I’ll try them all. I like the idea of shortening up my tail a little and trying to not set the rod too heavy but just keep an even pressure. It’s usually a big take, a big set, a little slack results, and a lost fish. I have the rod in my hands as I love the take, but as has been pointed out, I’m probably not doing a very good job of keeping constant pressure.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Why worry about hook-up ration when there are so many fish in the water you are fighting them off with a stick?
hahaha, my hook up ration and ratio differ from yours, obviously. Private lake and all whereas I'm stuck on public waters... ;-) I'm headed out to a public water this Friday (please "W", be calm and don't change direction at noon), I hope to be fighting trout with my long stick and I will be carrying my fly swatter stick for deer flies, those I'll be fighting off.

Reactions: RCF

gpt

Smolt
I need you and gpt to rub my bald spot so my trolling hookup ratio improves.
point your rod opposite your troll path, leave it alone, don't grab it, don't touch it. fish will hook themselves, whey your reel starts to spin a bit, time to put the rod in your hand. that simple. i always trolled with a sink tip line, BTW.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
point your rod opposite your troll path, leave it alone, don't grab it, don't touch it. fish will hook themselves, whey your reel starts to spin a bit, time to put the rod in your hand. that simple. i always trolled with a sink tip line, BTW.
I still need your karma, man, if you ever make it over to Grant County, let me know. I'll be passing through Sequim one of these days..... need your karma for a better hook up ratio: don't grab it karma, don't touch it karma! ;-) Go Wolves.