Trailer Roller Bar Question

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I want to add a roller bar to my raft trailer. I plan on using 2" galvanized pipe and am looking for a source for UHMW end bushings.
Willie Boats has them listed for 15$ but out of stock. Clacka has them listed for 5 bucks more but wants 17$ to ship a 20$ item.
Any other sources appreciated.
1662305085597.png

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
What exact size is your roller material and what size pin do you intend to use? Tube is measured OD and Pipe is measured ID so be careful you are ordering the correct bushing (apologies if you know this already). The bushings are supposed to be press fit (I use a press or in a pinch a rubber mallet) so if it isn’t perfect they will be useless. I have several varieties on hand for using tube or pipe and can do either 3/8” or 1/2” pins, so let me know exactly what you need and I can probably help.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What exact size is your roller material and what size pin do you intend to use? Tube is measured OD and Pipe is measured ID so be careful you are ordering the correct bushing (apologies if you know this already). The bushings are supposed to be press fit (I use a press or in a pinch a rubber mallet) so if it isn’t perfect they will be useless. I have several varieties on hand for using tube or pipe and can do either 3/8” or 1/2” pins, so let me know exactly what you need and I can probably help.
Thanks alot!!! My trailer is on loan right now, the grandkids are hauling kayaks on it for the weekend, but when I get it back Tuesday I'll do some measuring. I think the roller will be about 5' long so I was thinking about using a galvanized metal fence post if it would be strong enough not to bow at that length. Most of the weight would be on the raft tubes so nearer the outside rather than the center.
That said, I'm not sure if the i.d. would be something standard or not.

A picture of the raft, a 10.5' RMR Storm, and the trailer I plan on using. The raft and frame are under 200#'s but the older I get, 73 in a month, the more unwieldly it seems to get. :D
P4190835 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Every raft trailer should have a roller IMHO. It makes it an easy one man job launching and loading and is easier on your boat. The specs on the tube you linked are 2” x 16g (which makes it tube). On Tuesday I will confirm the bushings I have fit correctly and send you a PM.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Every raft trailer should have a roller IMHO. It makes it an easy one man job launching and loading and is easier on your boat. The specs on the tube you linked are 2” x 16g (which makes it tube). On Tuesday I will confirm the bushings I have fit correctly and send you a PM.
Thanks, I'll take my calipers to the chain store tomorrow just to double check.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice raft!
Thanks, it's been kinda neglected lately.
Yesterday I got the frame down from the garage ceiling, cut off the EMT oarlock towers, and replaced them with 8" NRS towers. I had to cut some pieces of pipe in half lengthwise to make some spacers so the NRS towers would mate up with the 1" EMT but they're good and snug.
The EMT frame was from an old NRS bucket raft that I had 30 years ago and had been collecting dust. The only pitfall was that the new raft is narrower so the oar towers were too close together to get a decent oar ratio. The modification added 10 inches from oarlock center to center and 2 inches to the height which should be a vast improvement.
A before and after.

IMG-5567.jpg
IMG-5570.jpg

Last edited: