Trailer Hook on your spoon?

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have experience with this rigging?

I have never tried but it makes sense in theory. Might give it a shot this weekend on some coho.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I know it's just me but two things.

1. Spinners for coho, spoons for steelhead.
2. My favorite rigging is a siawash. Usually u dersized..

I know these are contrary to lots of popular opinion but, it's what works for me.

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter

I know these are contrary to lots of popular opinion but, it's what works for me.
I like undersized hooks as well. On my local rivers even the smallest smolt/trout will go for a big 2/3 oz spoon, so smaller wire barbless hooks are a must.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Two things I dislike about spinner/spoon fishing.

1. Catching sea runs with a regular size hook
2. Tongue hooking a wild coho, usually only happens in slack water and even then not often but still hate it..

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I take my bullethead jig heads and turn them into articulated style jigs. I lash a snell bait hook to my existing jighead so it is even to the end of the hoochie. Then I cut off the original hook. My catch rate improved as it will hook up a tail nipper occasionally. I have been getting a lot strikes that don't take lately and I've wondered if extending the hook even further may help. Possibly the hook is buried in the plastic strips and can't snag the mouth. A longer hook may help. I use this casting off the beach, not boating...

Attachments

• 20221006_155438.jpg
    20221006_155438.jpg
    771.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221006_155404.jpg
    20221006_155404.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 24

Grandpa Jim

Steelhead
A few years back I photocopied a magazine article about that trailer hook technique thinking I would try it out. In STS I think? I then forgot all about it but stumbled on it again last year and decided to try it out. I used size 1 octopus hooks on 2/5 & 2/3 oz Pentac spoons.

I swung up some coho on OP rivers last fall with those spoons. I also twitched one up.

In our abbreviated winter steelhead season I went 2/4 with those same spoons. I swung runs that I would normally swing with my Spey rod later in the season when the water was warmer and more pleasant to wade.

The small octopus hooks are sticky, don't tear up the fish, and make for an easy release.

I have tied up some bullet head articulated style hoochie jigs to try this fall...like Wetswinger shows in his post. Again, smaller size 1 octopus hook.

One of the steelhead landed and released easily last winter:

Attachments

• IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    666.3 KB · Views: 15

headduck

Steelhead
I like the articulate jig. I think it will work great on our little combat fishery here.

Not sure if the hoochie skirt would foul the hook, and seems like much longer you're kinda outta the strike zone?

Thanks for the share.

headduck

Steelhead
You got me thinking about a modular jig... maybe not a new idea... new to me.... first try below

Sliding egg weight for head- paint it, powder coat it, pretend it's a bead..?

Tube fly body (first try at maribou with couple zonkers) but anything would work... black bugger or leech, whadyall think?

Trailer hook looped on braid loop with spacer/hook keeper.

*Easy to change weights 3/8-3/4 whatever.
- can even swap to a corky or float
*Easy to replace hooks (dont trash a whole jig)
*Loop connection to line reduced failed swivels, makes a less snaggy connection and quick change.
*Sliding egg allows for jig type action or with with a heavier weight and a mend, a little drift in the current - pretty versatile.

Concern... does this pass the antinsnagging rule... can it be considered to be a lure like a jig is... I think so... but not always about what I think. :)

Thoughts... feedback?

20221008_072349.jpg20221008_072428.jpg

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Long time spoon angler here. I've seen this rigging. I've used variations calling for bread chain, swivel parts etc. I've rejected them all after testing. The following reasons are why I reject. Not saying there isn't merit there but it didn't fish as well for me.

1. The use of a proper siwash oriented point up or toward the concave side of the spoon will limit snagging up. Imho this is critical to fishing a spoon properly with confidence without fear. I use quality spoons that aren't cheap so this benefits me greatly

2. I don't find I miss hookups with the traditional method of a single siwash. Spoon bites are normally pretty solid. I also don't hook fish where I don't want to like the eye or the tounge as I've seen with trailers.

3. The hook is less likely to foul or tangle when using the standard method. This is a great boon when you finally get the skip cast under the brush for coho as it's a low percentage cast and any further attempts just put your fish down.

4. Coho are ready and willing spoon takers but are best encouraged by a twitch of sorts followed by a slack line flutter decent (where most bites occur with coho). The trailer is easily fouled here causing missed fish.

5. I'm lazy and often rig spoons from parts in the field. I can carry more spoons nested together without hooks in a small container and rig easily in the field without fusing about with trailer technologies.

Again just my thoughts. Mileage may vary but these are my real world experiences with thoughts.

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
Thoughts... feedback?
I love the idea. One thing that I notice that could effect the performance of it would be the straight shank design of the tube fly. Having the 90 (or 60) degree bend on a jig is what gives it such a good action.

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
Long time spoon angler here. I've seen this rigging. I've used variations calling for bread chain, swivel parts etc. I've rejected them all after testing. The following reasons are why I reject. Not saying there isn't merit there but it didn't fish as well for me.

1. The use of a proper siwash oriented point up or toward the concave side of the spoon will limit snagging up. Imho this is critical to fishing a spoon properly with confidence without fear. I use quality spoons that aren't cheap so this benefits me greatly

2. I don't find I miss hookups with the traditional method of a single siwash. Spoon bites are normally pretty solid. I also don't hook fish where I don't want to like the eye or the tounge as I've seen with trailers.

3. The hook is less likely to foul or tangle when using the standard method. This is a great boon when you finally get the skip cast under the brush for coho as it's a low percentage cast and any further attempts just put your fish down.

4. Coho are ready and willing spoon takers but are best encouraged by a twitch of sorts followed by a slack line flutter decent (where most bites occur with coho). The trailer is easily fouled here causing missed fish.

5. I'm lazy and often rig spoons from parts in the field. I can carry more spoons nested together without hooks in a small container and rig easily in the field without fusing about with trailer technologies.

Again just my thoughts. Mileage may vary but these are my real world experiences with thoughts.
Thanks for the input. I do appreciate the possibility of a higher hookup percentage (as the article was suggesting) but I don't like having a chance of hooking fish in odd spots with the trailer. A couple bulls I caught this weekend were both hooked in the corner of the mouth. I do like being able to use a smaller hook instead of a siwash.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
You got me thinking about a modular jig... maybe not a new idea... new to me.... first try below

Sliding egg weight for head- paint it, powder coat it, pretend it's a bead..?

Tube fly body (first try at maribou with couple zonkers) but anything would work... black bugger or leech, whadyall think?

Trailer hook looped on braid loop with spacer/hook keeper.

*Easy to change weights 3/8-3/4 whatever.
- can even swap to a corky or float
*Easy to replace hooks (dont trash a whole jig)
*Loop connection to line reduced failed swivels, makes a less snaggy connection and quick change.
*Sliding egg allows for jig type action or with with a heavier weight and a mend, a little drift in the current - pretty versatile.

Concern... does this pass the antinsnagging rule... can it be considered to be a lure like a jig is... I think so... but not always about what I think. :)

Thoughts... feedback?

View attachment 35901View attachment 35902

That would likely work, but just and opinion / suggestion.
I think you’d have a better hook-up ratio if the fly was tied on a standard hook versus using a stinger.
As far as the weight goes, I’d consider putting a small bead between the weight and the hook. On the top / rod side of the weight, I’d put some type of bobber stop to stop the weight from moving up your line and keep it constantly at the head of the hook, especially when it is on the drop.
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

Nope, that's pretty much it for me too.

I've experimented with different spoon hook arrangements, and none seem to make a huge difference. I think my overall favorite is running a barrel swivel between the spoon and hook, but anything that isn't a treble will get the job done.

skyrise

Steelhead
wouldn’t call it a trailer hook so much, but we have added a swivel to various spoons. Dick nites come to mind to help in the hook up landing ratio like you would with a hot shot or Brads plug. There are some who use a trailing hook on plugs when on anchor in deep holes for coho.