Topwater 2023

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How would you rate the bite? Sit n wait retrieve or aggressive pops? Water temp? Fish I have been finding have come closer to shore than anticipated.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
How would you rate the bite? Sit n wait retrieve or aggressive pops? Water temp? Fish I have been finding have come closer to shore than anticipated.
Pop and pause. Strikes were everything from good blowups to difficult to see delicate slurps in the wind. If I had to guess water temps I would say 54.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Either way, fishing poppers is a friggin blast…especially when it works. But when it doesn’t, if you believe that your fly is about to get blown up at any second, it’s still pretty interesting. For a while anyway.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

What size would be a good place to start? I’ve honestly never fished top water for bass? Which is ironic because dry fly fishing for trout is one of my favorites.

Side note, I feel like bass top water can get really garish, which means it’s perfect for a father daughter tying session

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
What size would be a good place to start? I’ve honestly never fished top water for bass? Which is ironic because dry fly fishing for trout is one of my favorites.

Side note, I feel like bass top water can get really garish, which means it’s perfect for a father daughter tying session
I like the medium - xl surface seducer foam heads.

Me and the kids have had some fun times w/ the copic marker and some white foam heads. Either just marking them up, or with the gun spraying them. Add to that, they pick out which skirt they want and the color saddles, etc. Fun stuff.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
A @Billy popper tutorial would be awesome.
It is awesome.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I like the medium - xl surface seducer foam heads.

Me and the kids have had some fun times w/ the copic marker and some white foam heads. Either just marking them up, or with the gun spraying them. Add to that, they pick out which skirt they want and the color saddles, etc. Fun stuff.
What type and size hook for this head? I’m going to head to the fly shop while my kid is at art class this morning

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
It is awesome.
Ahahah apparently I commented on Billy’s thread 🤦‍♂️

@ColinShots its almost time, let’s get out this spring. I’m going fact finding on a sheltered bay looking for some warmer water on Friday morning.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ahahah apparently I commented on Billy’s thread 🤦‍♂️

@ColinShots its almost time, let’s get out this spring. I’m going fact finding on a sheltered bay looking for some warmer water on Friday morning.
That's so funny. I'm also trying to get out this Friday. I was thinking about maybe getting out on the big river in town, if the water temps come up a bit. Down for whatever through.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
What type and size hook for this head? I’m going to head to the fly shop while my kid is at art class this morning

Going from memory, but I beleive 2/0 for the xl head is what I use. Adjust down accordingly to size of head.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

Going from memory, but I beleive 2/0 for the xl head is what I use. Adjust down accordingly to size of head.
Bingo, thanks !