Topper Build

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
With fuel prices being what they are I wanted to have the option of being able to easily extend my day trips.
I'm almost ready for my first shakedown cruise.

IMG-5333.jpg
The 'underbed area' is accessible from several ways.
IMG-5352.jpg

IMG-5338.jpg
IMG-5339.jpg
IMG-5341.jpg
IMG-5406 (1).jpg
My 73 quart "Walmart Yeti" fits nicely in the back seat and still leaves a third seat available.
IMG-5410 (1).jpg
IMG-5408 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG-5341.jpg
    IMG-5341.jpg
    752 KB · Views: 13

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice build-out. Wht do you think of the WalMart cooler? Would you buy it again?

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Very nice! We bought the short bed GMC. Fortunately I am short and found a Roll-A-Cot that fits in the back. Throw a few rugs on the bed of the truck and I’m good to go. Haven’t used it yet because the RPod trailer is too comfortable and easy to tow.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice build-out. Wht do you think of the WalMart cooler? Would you buy it again?
It does okay, 4-5 days pretty easy, but I think the Lifetime would be a better choice in the less expensive range of rotomolded coolers.
We bought the 73 qt. Ozark Trail when our propane fridge at our off grid cabin went kaput and we needed something quickly.

Divad

Whitefish
Looks awesome! Jealous you can lay out in your bed, the 5’7” on the Ram leaves my tailgate open at night.

Maybe a bungee in front of the drawers on the cabinet?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Dean -
Great looking build and it appears to be very well thought out! Shake down trip tomorrow, good luck. I hope the (what do they call traveling sedge in Washington?) travelers are traveling (upsize your tippet if they are!).

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I had no idea about this device. @Engee must have this on his GMC but forgets that I don't have anything like it on my Ram, right Randy? Slam down. I'm going to order this!

Divad

Whitefish
Ooolala a dimmer! Just saw that, is that for outside or inside lights?

Fun fact about dimmers, once you install one in someone’s/your own house, you’ll be plagued to add more. You’re likely infected.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ooolala a dimmer! Just saw that, is that for outside or inside lights?

Fun fact about dimmers, once you install one in someone’s/your own house, you’ll be plagued to add more. You’re likely infected.
$2.89 Harbor freight LED's velcroed to the roof carpeting.:)

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had no idea about this device. @Engee must have this on his GMC but forgets that I don't have anything like it on my Ram, right Randy? Slam down. I'm going to order this!
Careful Pat, there is no indication that it works on Ram trucks of the vintage we own. In my own case, the contents of the Casa are fitted in with less than a quarter of an inch of clearance in places and there just isn't room for it. However, if closing the tailgate from inside is an issue-and it always was with me-there are 2 screw holes eleven inches apart on the inside of the tailgate that perfectly accommodate a length of 1 1/4" webbing that can be used as a handle. You still have the weight but it is 10 times easier to lift from inside than reaching over the edge of the tailgate to lift it closed. I have the soft open tailgate which is a huge improvement of itself.

Last edited:

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Looks real nice, and cozy! I enjoyed seeing your truck camping setup, and always get some new ideas from seeing those setups.

For one, I like the reflectix on your windows, and think that would work in my truck too - I’ve just been thinking about curtains for the windows.

Here are a couple pictures of some recent additions I’ve added to my truck setup:

I just bought a Hest memory foam mattress. It’s nearly 4” thick x 30” wide, with a removable, washable cover, although I’ve also put my own duvet cover on it. I also just bought a couple $10 storage bins from Costco. One fits nicely in front of the wheel well, and the other will go on the floor in the back seat of my truck (when the seats are folded up). (I also put my cooler on the floor in the back seat. It fits facing the passenger door, with the front passsenger seat moved forward a couple inches.)

DC882680-549A-4327-A7CC-724B0DFB6372.jpeg

I have a retractable coat hanger on the roof of my truck cap. My wife just bought me a cheap fan from Walmart that I can clip on that hanger. It can also sit upright, like on that Costco storage bin, and it can be adjusted in any direction. It has a 2000mwh rechargeable lithium battery, that might run all night if needed, but as backup I also have a 6000mwh rechargeable battery pack/ LED light combo (hanging next to the fan) in this picture.

46515E77-2236-4FE7-AE86-E7C801060243.jpeg

You might also notice the green tape that you can see some of around the edge of my truck bed. My 2018 Ford always seems to get lots of dust in the truck bed (and on my camp bedding) after I’ve driven on dirt roads for some distance. To lessen the amount of dust (somewhat), I’ve put painters tape all around the perimeter of the bed.

I‘ve also just installed a 4” wide piece of rubber (it’s called Rok Block) across the opening between the truck bed and the tailgate, shown here:

C47B949E-17AF-495B-B3B7-E0B34C66AA4D.jpeg

I‘ve had a new 2022 Ford F-150 hybrid truck on order since the end of last December. I’m not sure if I’m going to actually buy it now, or cancel the order, since it’s taking so long, but I ordered it with some options that would be nice to have when staying overnight in the back of the truck. In addition to a 2.4kw generator built into the truck bed, it will also have a power tailgate that can be lowered and lifted automatically using the key fob.

John

Last edited:

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I remember to let down slowly now although it took awhile for it to stick in my mind. Kind of like the locking the door accidently on the Ram. Chrysler engineers need to think out some of their design flaws.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Careful Pat, there is no indication that it works on Ram trucks of the vintage we own. In my own case, the contents of the Casa are fitted in with less than a quart of an inch of clearance in places and there just isn't room for it. However, if closing the tailgate from inside is an issue-and it always was with me-there are 2 screw holes eleven inches apart on the inside of the tailgate that perfectly accommodate a length of 1 1/4" webbing that can be used as a handle. You still have the weight but it is 10 times easier to lift from inside than reaching over the edge of the tailgate to lift it closed. I have the soft open tailgate which is a huge improvement of itself.
Thanks for the heads up, Ive. I'll take a care look before buying.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the heads up, Ive. I'll take a care look before buying.
Too bad if it won't work on your model.
This is how much effort it takes to raise my tailgate now.IMG-5417.jpg
It also reduces the weight to near zero when you let it down.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A lot of evidence that this works on the older Rams but still nothing definitive on the later models. It begs the question: Why the hell doesn't the manufacturer install it on their new models? With pickups costing well north of $50K another $20 for a piece of bar stock shouldn't make a lot of difference.

At a minimum, I would contact ETrailer and get their take on it before I would ever drill a hole in my truck.

Reactions: BCO

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
A lot of evidence that this works on the older Rams but still nothing definitive on the later models. It begs the question: Why the hell doesn't the manufacturer install it on their new models? With pickups costing well north of $50K another $20 for a piece of bar stock shouldn't make a lot of difference.

At a minimum, I would contact ETrailer and get their take on it before I would ever drill a hole in my truck.
It says on the page that I linked to that it fits.
Easylift01.jpg
In either case, I'll know soon enough. One is on its way to me.