Tom Fulk Time.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 9.14.06 PM.png
Every labor day it's time to take my 7' 5 weight Tom Fulk bamboo rod to the Washington stream he named it after. The water had a little glacial tinge this year but that didn't stop the cutts from looking up.

Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 9.15.09 PM.png
Best flies were a size 12 black beetle, size 14 royal wulff and size 12 letort hopper.
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 9.16.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 9.18.14 PM.png
Only saw a couple other hikers and no other anglers. There are some secret places still.

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Great photos! Even the vintage flybox (Perrine I believe?) is a consistent element! Quite a few of mine have resided under logjams and on lake bottoms for decades.

Last edited:

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Great photos! Even the vintage flybox (Perrine I believe?) is a consistent element! Quite a few of mine have resided under logjams for decades.
I have my share of small Perrines but this box is an old Wheatley Silmalloy. It measures 2 1/2" by 3 1/2" and is a perfect small stream pocket box. I put soft hackles, hares ear nymphs and killer bugs in the clips and some pocket water dries (letort hopper, beetles, renegades, adams, royal wulffs and dry caddis in the compartments.
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 1.10.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 1.11.10 PM.png

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have my share of small Perrines but this box is an old Wheatley Silmalloy. It measures 2 1/2" by 3 1/2" and is a perfect small stream pocket box. I put soft hackles, hares ear nymphs and killer bugs in the clips and some pocket water dries (letort hopper, beetles, renegades, adams, royal wulffs and dry caddis in the compartments.
View attachment 30597

View attachment 30598

Its nice to see Killer Bugs in someone's box. How productive are you finding them to be?

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Tim, I don't fish my killer bugs too much so can't say. Most of my river and creek fishing is dries or swinging soft hackles. There were a few deep pools on the water I fished which would have been great to run a killer bug through but I'm not too keen to fish weighted nymphs on a 7' bamboo fly rod. How have they done for you?

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I haven't fished them either. A number of years ago there was a great debate about the specific dubbing used on the originals.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I haven't fished them either. A number of years ago there was a great debate about the specific dubbing used on the originals.
Me neither. A very fishy friend whom I haven’t talked to in a while highly recommended them, with a special dubbing with some kind of metallic element.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Me neither. A very fishy friend whom I haven’t talked to in a while highly recommended them, with a special dubbing with some kind of metallic element.
Frank Sawyer who invented the Killer Bug insisted that the only material you could use for the body was Chadwicks 477 nylon/wool which was sold on cards. Chadwicks 477 is brownish/grey with a little bit a pink. It darkens when fished because you tie it over a red or copper underwire. Chadwicks went out of business and disputes have raged ever since over what to use. I purchased some genuine Chadwicks 477 on ebay for too much money. Several fly shops sell Chadwicks 477 substitutes. I defy you to tell me which of the killer bugs below are tied with genuine Chadwicks 477 and which aren't.
Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 1.27.20 PM.png
A genuine killerbug is tied only with wire and wool. No thread. Works best with really fine copper or red wire. I think Sawyer used very very fine telephone wire.

Last edited: