Tiny fly challenge.....

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Well alrighty then......I C&R’d a 17” rainbow on this size 20 chironomid today!! I gave this fish every opportunity to part ways....first it wrapped around the bow anchor rope twice, I pulled the anchor up and freed the line. But when I leaned forward to reach the anchor puller, the slack fly line coiled around my head and raincoat hood.....another few turns of line around my feet......and still netted the fish! I guess what looks stupid small to us actually is food for the fish. Another amazing thing about this is I tied two loop knots through the top #20 chironomid with 6x and 7x to the bottom fly! Here’s my tiny fly box, a #12 chironomid for comparison and the #20 that caught the fish under a small indicator.....extra bonus.....got it with my Christmas Bougle, played it on the reel for a bit.......sweet sound!
9A70F14A-6D4C-492A-BADC-820A16849E1A.jpeg

Last edited:

Rio Grande King

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Tying and fishing the tiny bugs used to be one of my very favorite approaches. Here's a box of midge pupae tied that were intended for use on the San Juan. Smallest ones are #26 if I remember correctly. Stories of overcrowding down there kept me from going back down there. My friend Steve Herter can tolerate crowds better than me. He did well on some splendid size-26 CDC-wing San Juan pupae - 1.jpegduns there this Spring.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Top dropper dry fly eat on the bwo I posted, but I have issues with conforming so rule breaking here, and sz. 18 is as small as I got. Green rabbit, medium stiff blue dun and upright divided partridge wings for when it gets pulled under.
20230106_fly.jpg
Hell yes. I would never have carried this without this thread, thanks Steve.
20230106_dry.jpg
Picked from the far side smooth during a short bit of bug activity on a beautiful winter afternoon.
20230106_here.jpg

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Top dropper dry fly eat on the bwo I posted, but I have issues with conforming so rule breaking here, and sz. 18 is as small as I got. Green rabbit, medium stiff blue dun and upright divided partridge wings for when it gets pulled under.
View attachment 48879
Hell yes. I would never have carried this without this thread, thanks Steve.
View attachment 48880
Picked from the far side smooth during a short bit of bug activity on a beautiful afternoon.
View attachment 48881
That slick is some juicy winter BWO water!