Tiny fly challenge.....

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
It's going to be 50 degrees, overcast with a little rain tomorrow on my "local" trout ditch.
As long as the wind holds, it should be a fabulous day to throw some tiny Olives on my 4wt.
Good luck, I'm jealous, we've been blown out.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
It got a little high, but it does have a dam a bit upstream (dont know the exact mileage), and its dropping pretty quick.
I just need to get out, we've been stuck inside with a sick kiddo and we all need a break from each other.
That's a nice option. The grandkids just left and now I'm going to spend a couple days out with the wife, earn time to fish some tiny flies later.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I had a buddy tie me up a fly on a size 32 hook it looked like a piece of lint. I kept it in a glass vile. Some where in Western Washington it flew out of where I had it sitting, lost for good. I really like to fish small flies. My problem is threading the small eye. My shakes stop me from fishing them. My fingers shake in the wind.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Great looking tiny flies TheWhispering1.....very good on the scale proportions. Where are you going to fish them?

dep

Steelhead
this is the only way I would be able to tie my tippet to a small fly - and this is a sz16

Attachments

• smallfly.jpg
    smallfly.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 10

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
At 65 size 22 was tiny. At 70 size 20 was tiny. At 75 size 18 was tiny. At 80 size 16 was tiny. Now nearing 85 and with cataract surgery I have seen no further deterioration and can still tie and fish 16's with no problem. That's as small as I need to go as I seldom fish for snotty picky fish. The calendar will ultimately determine what we regard as tiny.