Tiny fly challenge.....

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Watching it snow and sitting at the vise.....how about a tiny fly challenge? #20 and smaller then let’s see what we can catch with them......extra points with bamboo! Here’s a few starters......
View attachment 45782

From the vise thread, here are some 20s.
CDL Tail
Stripped Quill Body
Dubbed throrax
congo hair post
medium dun hackle

Maybe Im just used to fishing small flies on a spring creek, but they really dont feel all that small.
I have some 22 hooks will do the same, but I'll skip the dubbed thorax and just do a thread thorax.

Attachments

• IMG_6463.jpg
    IMG_6463.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 40

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
Cool! So where do you plan on fishing these EmergingFisher?
Very good question! Probably hit a smaller river in the Cascades, dropped under something, maybe behind a soft hackle or they may work under a small dry. I did a few quill body dries a week or so again but smallest was an 18 so that doesn’t count for this thread

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'm out. I think I fished sz. 18 Griffith's a couple days, and sz. 16 Stone dry's a couple times last winter, but pretty much everything is 14 and bigger, and usually an 8 or 10. I don't think I could tie anything that small, and my smallest hook is an 18 anyways.

Flytyer

Smolt
From the vise thread, here are some 20s.
CDL Tail
Stripped Quill Body
Dubbed throrax
congo hair post
medium dun hackle

Maybe Im just used to fishing small flies on a spring creek, but they really dont feel all that small.
I have some 22 hooks will do the same, but I'll skip the dubbed thorax and just do a thread thorax.
Sweet !!!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Lets go fish em next week!
Brrrrrr

I'm in! You'll have to tie them on for me though. 😆😆

edit: actually next week doesn't look too bad at all!

Last edited: