Tiger Musky

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone know what the criteria is for lakes that makes them acceptable to planting tiger muskies?
SF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
No idea, but that's a question for the state bio.

I am glad (for purely selfish reasons) that they did. Being that they're hybrid and can't spawn plus shorter lifespan, I suppose if things go awry, it wouldn't take quite so long for the native fish affected to rebound.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
No idea. Have some guesses, but not certain.

What are you thinking? If youre thinking what I think you are I'm all about supporting the effort.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
No idea. Have some guesses, but not certain.

What are you thinking? If youre thinking what I think you are I'm all about supporting the effort.

The north end as well as the peninsula aren’t really represented when it comes to musky opportunities.
It also seems mostly larger impoundments are currently stocked. I think it would be great to have some opportunities to angle for them in smaller bodies of water.
Maybe only plant 50-100 per lake and not plant them annually.
I know they tried this at Green Lake, but I don’t think it was the best choice.
I found some stocking numbers for the current lakes and they kind of seem all over the board as far as the number of fish stocked yearly. I’m not sure how they determine the annual stocking numbers.

I’d have to think part of the stocking criteria is that they don’t interfere with anadromous fish.
I’ve read a lot about muskies liking suckers and pikeminnow. A lot of small lakes may not have those but do have an abundant supply of other warmwater species…..plus stocker bows. Based on reports I read, they will eat all of those species.

Maybe I’ll drop an email to the biologist for the program and get their thoughts on this and to see if they’ve considered doing something like this.
SF

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I would love to have a closer venue for these fish
I think Goodwin might work
Also Big Lake maybe.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Could we plants some in the Skykomish seams theres no steelhead anymore :rolleyes:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The north end as well as the peninsula aren’t really represented when it comes to musky opportunities.
It also seems mostly larger impoundments are currently stocked. I think it would be great to have some opportunities to angle for them in smaller bodies of water.
Maybe only plant 50-100 per lake and not plant them annually.
I know they tried this at Green Lake, but I don’t think it was the best choice.
I found some stocking numbers for the current lakes and they kind of seem all over the board as far as the number of fish stocked yearly. I’m not sure how they determine the annual stocking numbers.

I’d have to think part of the stocking criteria is that they don’t interfere with anadromous fish.
I’ve read a lot about muskies liking suckers and pikeminnow. A lot of small lakes may not have those but do have an abundant supply of other warmwater species…..plus stocker bows. Based on reports I read, they will eat all of those species.

Maybe I’ll drop an email to the biologist for the program and get their thoughts on this and to see if they’ve considered doing something like this.
SF

Summit lake needs musky to prey on the bucket biologist's small and largemouth bass contributions. That lake used to have a couple cool fisheries. Now it's just a bass lake with small Kokanee in lower numbers. I say let's go full musk. Pursuing them around sunken Islands and shallows would be way more fun than the alternatives.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
While we're at it, let's contact odfw and get them in Hagg Lake. It might make the folks who chase little cookie cutter stockers mad, but that sure would be fun. Plus, it's already got trophy smallies in there, may as well make them trophier....

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
On the north end, look at the list of lakes that have brown trout. Those are the lakes that could be musky candidates, as they would have no inlet or outlet (that's also a criteria for stocking browns).

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I’ve read a lot about muskies liking suckers and pikeminnow.

I thought it was done to benefit the anadromous fish, by knocking down predator populations like the NPM. But that fact may only exist in my head.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are some of you guy just looking for a reason to buy some heavier (9-10 weight) gear? ;)😃

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
On the north end, look at the list of lakes that have brown trout. Those are the lakes that could be musky candidates, as they would have no inlet or outlet (that's also a criteria for stocking browns).

I witnessed a spoon caught one at blue creek.

While we're at it, let's contact odfw and get them in Hagg Lake. It might make the folks who chase little cookie cutter stockers mad, but that sure would be fun. Plus, it's already got trophy smallies in there, may as well make them trophier....

If I were in charge I'd have stocker minnow angling as a minority project for kids and adults with special needs mainly and the rest targeted towards actual good angling experiences.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Although, having some in Hagg would be cool.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
They tried them in Fazon in the late 80s or early 90s to thin the bluegills and also channel cats.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
They tried them in Fazon in the late 80s or early 90s to thin the bluegills and also channel cats.

Fred,
Did they not take? Any idea how many they planted?
SF

Chucker

Steelhead
The greenlake tiger musky stocking was a planned experiment to see if they could effectively reduce the carp population. There was electrofishing to sample stomach contents to see what they were eating. I talked one of the people involved at the time, and it seemed that the tigers were eating mostly trout, and that their survival rate was low. I suspect that low survival was largely due to incidental catches by trout fishers. As far as I know no report was ever published, so we might never really know.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
It looks like the original Green Lake stocking was 150 fish, so roughly one fish per 1.6 acres of lake surface area.
SF