This was not the target species

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
That is the funniest looking off-color tuna I’ve ever seen.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
yummmm....pan seared mahi with taziki sauce!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Very cool. You look quite happy and satisfied, great shot.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One of my absolute favorite species. So cool to see them being caught close to home.

Seems there might be a few more than usual this year. Just got 2nd hand word another boat out of Garibaldi had a marlin crash their troll spread and saw a Dorado jump.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
One of my absolute favorite species. So cool to see them being caught close to home.

Seems there might be a few more than usual this year. Just got 2nd hand word another boat out of Garibaldi had a marlin crash their troll spread and saw a Dorado jump.
In all the afternoon chaos of an ocean boiling with feeding tuna, I saw something MUCH larger come out of the water out of my peripheral vision, and made a splash that shot about 6' up in the air. All I could think was a billfish of some kind. It was much, much larger than a tuna, and no signs of dolphins/whales or anything in the mix. Wish I got a more straight on look at the fish, but that splash was something else.

Just got to work so need to get some productivity done here, but I'll post some more stuff later on the day. I also took some videos of the boiling ocean that I want to try and put up at some point.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
In all the afternoon chaos of an ocean boiling with feeding tuna, I saw something MUCH larger come out of the water out of my peripheral vision, and made a splash that shot about 6' up in the air. All I could think was a billfish of some kind. It was much, much larger than a tuna, and no signs of dolphins/whales or anything in the mix. Wish I got a more straight on look at the fish, but that splash was something else.

Just got to work so need to get some productivity done here, but I'll post some more stuff later on the day. I also took some videos of the boiling ocean that I want to try and put up at some point.
After the talk of how you sometimes struggle to find the right times that motivate you to deploy the ol' fly pole on the tuna grounds, I hope "an ocean boiling with feeding tuna" was an opportunity that you jumped on.
I'm eagerly awaiting this report!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Just be (in Elmer Fudd voice) vewy vewy carefool whut you say when yoo see sumthing big ouwt there. ..

... and who you say it around. Trust me, no need to go into further details.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
After the talk of how you sometimes struggle to find the right times that motivate you to deploy the ol' fly pole on the tuna grounds, I hope "an ocean boiling with feeding tuna" was an opportunity that you jumped on.
I'm eagerly awaiting this report!
Wasn't on my boat yesterday, it was my friend's. So the fly rod didn't go. I didn't take any of my own rods, actually (was told not to).

That said, all the fish we cast to, we had to cast REALLY far because they sounded when we got within about 200' of them. My friend and I casting coltsniper jigs were slaying em, the other guy with a swimbait with a crappy mono line on it who could only cast about 100' couldn't get bit because he wasn't getting close enough. We couldn't get any bait stops going, and our bait we threw out got ignored all day. Every jig fish we caught was way, way out there. Didn't see a single fish swim near the boat despite all the action out there.

I think fly rods would have maybe caught some, but you'd have to be making some lucky hero casts.

Still, jigs are my favorite way to catch them, so I wasn't regretting anything.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wasn't on my boat yesterday, it was my friend's. So the fly rod didn't go. I didn't take any of my own rods, actually (was told not to).

That said, all the fish we cast to, we had to cast REALLY far because they sounded when we got within about 200' of them. My friend and I casting coltsniper jigs were slaying em, the other guy with a swimbait with a crappy mono line on it who could only cast about 100' couldn't get bit because he wasn't getting close enough.

I think fly rods would have maybe caught some, but you'd have to be making some lucky hero casts.

Still, jigs are my favorite way to catch them, so I wasn't regretting anything.
I will admit gunning jigs to jumper patches is hella fun.