The Trouble With Scudback

ABITNF

Steelhead
Earlier this week I was organizing and putting some stuff away and opened a box that had a bunch of Scudback inside. I admit I don't use this very much but I found it had all gone hard and brittle other than a more recently purchased package. This is something to keep in mind when you buy this product. It should come with a 'best before date'. Thin Skin might be a better option.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hmmm...sounds like I better do some checking.
Yesterday I was digging through some stuff and found a new pack of strike indicators with rock hard pieces of rubber band in the pack. They were stored in a drawer in a mostly dark basement.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Hmmm...sounds like I better do some checking.
Yesterday I was digging through some stuff and found a new pack of strike indicators with rock hard pieces of rubber band in the pack. They were stored in a drawer in a mostly dark basement.
The very reason I do not waste money on scud back.
I make my own with freezer bag and two colors of Sharpie (one being a metallic color).
Once dried…the finished product will blend further by stretching…the blended color is amazing.

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
30yards-width-6mm-thickness-0-12mm-Clear-Elastic-Tape-for-Sewing-Supplies-Mobilon-Tape-for-Garments.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

i bought what seemed like a bazillion feet of sewing elastic about 5 years ago and have not experienced any drying out or brittleness in the product

i used clear zip lock baggies in the 1980' for scuds and still have a few flies left with no shrinkage of that material

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
No shrinkage even in very cold water?

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
i personally have shrinkage in cold water, ice cold water 😀😀

but not the products i mentioned

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
i personally have shrinkage in cold water, ice cold water 😀😀

but not the products i mentioned
My wallet displays shrinkage by the time I walk out of a flyshop.

Last edited:

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I've had the same problem with the brand name stuff. Fortunately, I don't tie many, if any, scuds and have only recently used the material for shell backs on nymphs so it isn't a product I can't live without. I used to use sewing elastic and would go back to that if I thought I really needed clear material.