The Thanksgiving Feast Thread

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
It spent all damn day in the oven but everyone raved about the porchetta.
View attachment 42588

But to be honest, as good as it was, I sure do love potatoes. This potato-kale-Gruyere gratin was the best I’ve ever made it.

View attachment 42589

The only thing about the smoked turkey I made Wednesday is that smoking renders the turkey carcass mostly useless; I think it’d make a stock taste like an ashtray.
IDK, I’d use that carcass for sure. Pick the meat and add the leg bones/wings to a pot like you would smoked ham hocks. White bean/kale soup, split pea etc? Your porchetta and gratin look great btw!

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nothing I make, but there is always pickled herring around during the holidays.
Paying homage to my Swedish old man….
Danish here...growing up I ate alot of pickled herring. I liked the stuff that was packed in a cocktail sauce the best but never see it anymore.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have a good recipe for the obligatory 'dreaded green bean casserole'?:unsure:
I like green beans but not green glop.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Danish here...growing up I ate alot of pickled herring. I liked the stuff that was packed in a cocktail sauce the best but never see it anymore.

Can’t recall seeing it in cocktail sauce, but plain or in cream sauce for sure. I like the no sauce variety myself.
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have a good recipe for the obligatory 'dreaded green bean casserole'?:unsure:
I like green beans but not green glop.
I like green beans too, but wouldn't think of putting them in a casserole. The way I like them best is to steam them almost done. Then toss them in a frying pan with melted butter, add ground pepper and pressed garlic and some orange juice. Heat until the orange juice is mostly steamed or boiled away; then serve. Yummy!

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
So, I'm planning on trying something new. I'm going to spatchcock the turkey and lay it flat (skin side up) over a big roasting pan of stuffing/dressing. Stuffing is my favorite TG food and I always liked the stuffing from inside the bird better than the stuffing cooked separately.

My question to you wise ones: will so much fat come off the turkey that the stuffing will be too greasy?
We delayed our feast until today (Saturday). I'm cooking. First up, stuffing topped with a spatchcocked turkey with an herbed mayo coating.
PXL_20221126_184903345.MP.jpg

PXL_20221126_190329263.MP.jpg
Bonus of delaying the holiday- when I went in to QFC to pick up my preordered organic free range 13lb turkey, the meat counter guy marked it down from $6/lb to 99 cents a pound. Everything else was on sale, too. I may do this every year!

Last edited:

Bagman

Steelhead
Cornbread dressing made with the giblets heart, neck, and tail. Cook tell done, part for the stuffing part for the gravy. Most of the liquid in the dressing

Attachments

• 66825CB9-E7C8-4F28-A9B2-ADED9761B50E.jpeg
    66825CB9-E7C8-4F28-A9B2-ADED9761B50E.jpeg
    866.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 5A9548DA-D50E-491D-81FF-63A70395BDF3.jpeg
    5A9548DA-D50E-491D-81FF-63A70395BDF3.jpeg
    781 KB · Views: 3

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
We delayed our feast until today (Saturday). I'm cooking. First up, stuffing topped with a spatchcocked turkey with an herbed mayo coating.
View attachment 42749

View attachment 42750
Bonus of delaying the holiday- when I went in to QFC to pick up my preordered organic free range 13lb turkey, the meat counter guy marked it down from $6/lb to 99 cents a pound. Everything else was on sale, too. I may do this every year!
PXL_20221126_222949985.MP.jpg

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I like green beans too, but wouldn't think of putting them in a casserole. The way I like them best is to steam them almost done. Then toss them in a frying pan with melted butter, add ground pepper and pressed garlic and some orange juice. Heat until the orange juice is mostly steamed or boiled away; then serve. Yummy!
Quick sauté with pancetta…or bacon

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
How was the stuffing?
So good! I cooked the turkey on top of it for most of the time, then doubted myself and finished cooking the spatchcocked turkey on a grate over a sheet pan for the remaining time. In hindsight, it would have been fine to cook the whole time on top of the stuffing.

The stufing was a big batch, made as follows:
1. Saute onions and a leek in a lot of butter.
2. Add herbs from the garden, mostly sage and thyme. Some black ground pepper, too.
3. Add musrooms and cook down
4. Add walnuts and apple pieces
5. Add cup of chicken stock (Better than Boullion)
6. remove from heat and add bread crumbs (about a gallon of dry crumbs, I used store bought bread crumbs)

Tonight for dinner I am having stuffing pancakes. I make a batter of stuffing and eggs, fry it up, and eat with fixings (any or all of butter, cranberry sauce, apple sauce, maple syrup and sour cream).