The Thanksgiving Feast Thread

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I'm kinda partial to scalloped potatoes lately. Plain old mashed is good, really good with home make gravy, but I think I'll go the scalloped route this year.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Nothing I make, but there is always pickled herring around during the holidays.
Paying homage to my Swedish old man….

My girlfriend makes a killer hot Italian sausage corn bread stuffing.
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Finally having a Thanksgiving I can be excited about. Wife and I are spending the long weekend in and around Vancouver BC feasting on all kinds of international cuisines. Added bonus, get so spend two of the days with some dear friends who live there who I haven't seen since 2019.

First time I've been excited about Thanksgiving probably ever :)

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Smoked Turkey
Wild Rice dressing with all sorts of stuff in it
Brussels Sprouts w/ pancetta
Mashed taterz n gravy
Maple Glazed Carrots
Pecan Pie
Football

Leftovers will be the best part as always though.

Enjoy the day everyone...
:)

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
So, I'm planning on trying something new. I'm going to spatchcock the turkey and lay it flat (skin side up) over a big roasting pan of stuffing/dressing. Stuffing is my favorite TG food and I always liked the stuffing from inside the bird better than the stuffing cooked separately.

My question to you wise ones: will so much fat come off the turkey that the stuffing will be too greasy?

RCF

Life of the Party
So, I'm planning on trying something new. I'm going to spatchcock the turkey and lay it flat (skin side up) over a big roasting pan of stuffing/dressing. Stuffing is my favorite TG food and I always liked the stuffing from inside the bird better than the stuffing cooked separately.

My question to you wise ones: will so much fat come off the turkey that the stuffing will be too greasy?

Never too much grease IMHO. It is only one day a year... My parents did stuffing balls outside the bird in the same roasting pan using the fat that dripped off of it to cook them. One of the ingredients in the stuffing balls is suet - pure fat. Crunchy exterior and very moist interior. Soooo good....

Reactions: Zak

RCF

Life of the Party
This year our family will be going non-traditional for the first time ever. :( :cry: We adopted two girls from China many years ago. One of them has a Vietnamese boyfriend. So it is going to be an Asian dinner. Dim sum, gyoza, egg rolls, battered green beans, several different types of noodles including yakisoba and egg noodles with veggies and sauces I have not heard of before and lots of rice, Not sure there will be any meat in any of the dishes...

I have Plan B for me - prime grade ribeye on the grill - just in case...

Edited: Just found out I am grilling some eggplant and asparagus...

Last edited:

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This year our family will be going non-traditional for the first time ever. :( :cry: We adopted two girls from China many years ago. One of them has a Vietnamese boyfriend. So it is going to be an Asian dinner. Dim sum, gyoza, egg rolls, battered green beans, several different types of noodles including yakisoba and egg noodles with veggies and sauces I have not heard of before and lots of rice, Not sure there will be any meat in any of the dishes...

That food sounds right up my alley

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

I’ll be over at 3?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Man, I'd be all over what they're doing.

I'm odd, I know... but if you want to make a list of foods I could never have again and I'd be perfectly happy, it'd be the traditional thanksgiving menu. Just really not my bag. But we tend to cook very asian/indian influenced stuff as our "comfort food" in our house (99% meatless).

Maybe try something they're doing. You may find something you liked you didn't even know about before.

RCF

Life of the Party
Man, I'd be all over what they're doing.

I'm odd, I know... but if you want to make a list of foods I could never have again and I'd be perfectly happy, it'd be the traditional thanksgiving menu. Just really not my bag. But we tend to cook very asian/indian influenced stuff as our "comfort food" in our house (99% meatless).

Maybe try something they're doing. You may find something you liked you didn't even know about before.

Our family has Asian related/inspired food several times a week all year round for many years. This year has been a transition to vegetable based 'meat'. Meat balls, meatloaf, hamburgers, and sausage just are not the same. Same with turkey bacon, turkey sausage etc.

So I was looking forward to a traditional holiday meal. I was also looking forward to the leftovers from a traditional holiday. There is something about a turkey, dressing and cranberry sandwich with a side of fried roasted potatoes and yams...

Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Meat balls, meatloaf, hamburgers, and sausage just are not the same.
Well sure...the veg based subs are fine and all that, but they're trying to be something they aren't. I don't try to pretend my steak is cauliflower either.
We love our veg, eat tons of them many different ways, we just don't try to turn them into meat substitutes.
Tofurkey ain't on the menu here...
;)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Our family has Asian related/inspired food several times a week all year round for many years. This year has been a transition to vegetable based 'meat'. Meat balls, meatloaf, hamburgers, and sausage just are not the same. Same with turkey bacon, turkey sausage etc.

So I was looking forward to a traditional holiday meal. I was also looking forward to the leftovers from a traditional holiday. There is something about a turkey, dressing and cranberry sandwich with a side of fried roasted potatoes and yams...
Yeah, not personally a fan of meat substitutes. I prefer veggie meals that were designed that way vs trying to replace something with a fake.

Reactions: RCF

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Making a surprise showing early tomorrow morning in Waimanalo to open the imu…