The Pheasants of Detroit

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Just a short flight from SD!

I'd give a left nut to go back to my grandmother's house in SD for her fried pheasant dinner with mashed patotos and gravy and a side of sweet corn.

The best fried foul I've ever had, add in a Quail or two as well! Last served in 1984, sigh 😕

Last edited:

Smalma

Life of the Party
Magnuson Park in Seattle had wild peasants for decades and the last time I was there (about 2006) they were still there.

Curt

Paige

Magnuson Park in Seattle had wild peasants for decades and the last time I was there (about 2006) they were still there.

Curt

I have seen a few in north Woodinville and Bothell growing up from time to time in the 70's and 80's, and along Burke Gillman trail from Seattle to Marymoor park.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Just a short flight from SD!

I'd give a left nut to go back to my grandmother's house in SD for her fried pheasant dinner with mashed patotos and gravy and a side of sweet corn.

The best fried foul I've ever had, add in a Quail or two as well! Last served in 1984, sigh 😕
Whole bird, or breast meat?

Paige

Whole bird, or breast meat?
Whole bird, gizzard's and all, they where too poor to waist any thing. Dad used to say, if there was an Olympic event for feather plucking grandma would have been a gold metal winner. Said he'd never seen a bird plucked faster!

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
When i saw that, i thought, "Hey guided hunts in the neighborhood" 😃

It's been too too many years since I hunted or eaten a pheasant...

Hem

Life of the Party
This reminds me of an experience I had maybe 27 years ago. I traveled back East to visit family, part of which required taking a train down to Central Station. I've always been a country kid, so going in to NYC was a tense adventure and one I dreaded. Never forgot as the train entered the City there was a portion where the track was elevated. Looking down at run down neighborhoods, junkyards,ugly chit, I spied a pheasant pecking away in the middle of urban wasteland. Rather profound moment to see this beautiful bird in the midst of all that. It was reassuring to me for some reason.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Maybe someone in Detroit could teach WDFW about wild bird habitat..(hint: water, food, cover) there’s way more birds here than on publicly accessible ground in Lincoln County!