The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

Wolverine

Smolt
I pedal mooch troll for salmon a lot. My rod holders are in front of me on my Hobie Pro Angler. I always have the rods in the holder. I don't want the rod yanked overboard and I want the fish to have time to take the bait before I set the hooks. Old steelheader quick on the trigger habits are hard to break.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Yep. Because they have to... Guess tube guys stick to what they know and guys more used to boats stick to what they know...

LOL - nope, nope, and nope.;)
Not a guy, only used a tube a couple of times, and have fished from boats and kayaks for decades
Although come to think of it, lake fishing from a small boat, I also prefer backtrolling if I have rod in hand and /or more than one person fishing.

Kado

Steelhead
I also troll backwards 'cause I'm so stiff I can't turn around to see the fish make its first few jumps. I also only use the rod holder to help change flies or when reaching around to get something from behind me.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
And everyone in those old time station wagons with the rear facing bench seat.

The kids who got stuck back there had a COMPLETELY different vacation than everyone else.
Riding back there at night could be “fun.” Duck down and pop up and make faces at drivers. Or waking up to semi headlights shining in your face from 10 feet away.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Fishing from my canoe a good bit, I very much get not wanting to fish behind me by moving forward. Ideally, I’m casting and working the fly back in some way or another, cast and strip (usually on anchor) or cast strip/“troll” moving back. The main reason I anchor is because there’s almost always some kind of breeze that will inevitably push me toward my fly which totally screws up my retrieve and presentation.
I mean, sure, I’ll troll with the flies behind me and watch the tip in front of me (especially using a trolling motor) but I think there’s a lot being missed that way, tactile feedback etc.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Fishing from my canoe a good bit, I very much get not wanting to fish behind me by moving forward. Ideally, I’m casting and working the fly back in some way or another, cast and strip (usually on anchor) or cast strip/“troll” moving back. The main reason I anchor is because there’s almost always some kind of breeze that will inevitably push me toward my fly which totally screws up my retrieve and presentation.
I mean, sure, I’ll troll with the flies behind me and watch the tip in front of me (especially using a trolling motor) but I think there’s a lot being missed that way, tactile feedback etc.

Yeah, when fly fishing, trolling isn't my go-to approach. I like to stand and cast to risers if dry fishing. Or cast streamers and work structure. I may drop anchor or allow the breeze to push me along if the speed and direction are good.

But if trolling - often just to get from point a to point b and have a fly in the water on the way - I like to be able to see where I'm going, watching out for dead heads, other boats, signs of rising fish, etc. If a fish hits (and I do get a lot of hits when trolling flies), I do a 'crazy Ivan' (for those that get the reference) and simply turn 90 degrees as I'm setting the hook. Gives me a better angle to fight the fish and watch the jumping and surface dancing.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
^^this

I don't even carry an anchor. I enjoy how kayak fishing can involve my whole body if I want it to. Many years targeting shoreline bass structure from a little Poke Boat, the adjustments involved in setting up a drift along a shoreline, keeping the right distance, and not crowding my line with the occasional backpaddle became pretty automatic. Constant movement. The hobie with reverse just makes that even better! Usually 45° angle from shore, drifting with breeze sideways/backwards so I can cast in front of me without contorting my neck: pause drift with a forward stroke or two, shift back to reverse, cast, one pedal stroke to start the slow drift again and take up slack. Work fly...if I have a hit, I start backpedaling as I set the hook. Keeps them out of weeds and rocks, and helps if they charge toward the boat. Oh man...how long till bass season??

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
And everyone in those old time station wagons with the rear facing bench seat.

The kids who got stuck back there had a COMPLETELY different vacation than everyone else.
hmm....between the three of us kids, we had to fight to figure out which one had to ride the hump in the middle of wagon.....

Divad

Whitefish
I don’t own a pedal kayak but know I would end up being a 1 in 100 trolling backwards. Everybody gets the endorphin rush a different way, some from watching the bobber go or tip bounce but for me it’s feeling them eat the fly before my set.

Also can be less strained with my eyes this way, browsing scenery or wildlife.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I don’t own a pedal kayak but know I would end up being a 1 in 100 trolling backwards. Everybody gets the endorphin rush a different way, some from watching the bobber go or tip bounce but for me it’s feeling them eat the fly before my set.

You certainly get to feel the take on the strike if you are holding the rod going forward or reverse... your feet are doing the pedaling, so your hands are free. You just have more options. Go forward, reverse, use a rod holder, don't use a rod holder, still fish, troll, wind drift, stand and cast / sight fish, etc. If wind is right, I often prefer to just drift with the wind - which usually means going sideways.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter

Yup! Totally agree.

It's a feeling thing. Trolling forwards with the rod bent under water tension just doesn't feel like fly fishing to me - it feels the same as trolling gear. I'm not saying it's not effective, just that it tends to be more of a fish hooking themselves feeling. Nothing wrong with that, and I actually do often carry a spinning rod to fish deep or while in forward travel mode. I'm not gonna complain if a fish hooks itself! 😁

Like @Chadk said - it's all about options!

Slow_Floccer

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Watching this thread. I used the Hobie kayaks they rent at Gig Harbor fly shop. Loved how maneuverable they are, the distance you can cover, and hands-free for fishing. Some day.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
^^this

I don't even carry an anchor. I enjoy how kayak fishing can involve my whole body if I want it to. Many years targeting shoreline bass structure from a little Poke Boat, the adjustments involved in setting up a drift along a shoreline, keeping the right distance, and not crowding my line with the occasional backpaddle became pretty automatic. Constant movement. The hobie with reverse just makes that even better! Usually 45° angle from shore, drifting with breeze sideways/backwards so I can cast in front of me without contorting my neck: pause drift with a forward stroke or two, shift back to reverse, cast, one pedal stroke to start the slow drift again and take up slack. Work fly...if I have a hit, I start backpedaling as I set the hook. Keeps them out of weeds and rocks, and helps if they charge toward the boat. Oh man...how long till bass season??
I have 4 fishing SOTs (none with pedal drive) and have used the drift technique for many years...with occasional drift adjustments with a hand paddle. Sometimes anchor with the stern Scotty anchor if I need to stay put because of windspeed/orientation.

Just bought a Hobie Passport 12' with mirage drive (happened to have an $1800 REI dividend this year, and that just about covered it). Don't know if I'll set it up for fishing or not...I find trolling boring.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I have 4 fishing SOTs (none with pedal drive) and have used the drift technique for many years...with occasional drift adjustments with a hand paddle. Sometimes anchor with the stern Scotty anchor if I need to stay put because of windspeed/orientation.

Just bought a Hobie Passport 12' with mirage drive (happened to have an $1800 REI dividend this year, and that just about covered it). Don't know if I'll set it up for fishing or not...I find trolling boring.
Not familiar with the passport. Can you stand up and fish on it?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Not familiar with the passport. Can you stand up and fish on it?
I suppose you could, but I don't stand up in any of my kayaks...don't need to. I can cast at least 180 degrees sitting down, and standing up just makes you act like a sail in wind.