The most expensive hook

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
This one costs $500. PSA to double check that your tying area is clean. I thought I’d done a good job, but apparently not.

Also, I always debarb, but the new policy is to do so as soon as the hook comes out of the package. Sometimes I’ll stage a few before working with them, which must be how this happened.
35309A59-3350-435A-AEB3-8862B3A60572.jpeg
BDEA3769-57FF-4055-A16C-A83E3FAAB113.jpeg
He’ll be fine and I count myself lucky he didn’t ingest it.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Yea our Gabby got one in the lip years ago. Ended up holding her down pinching the barb with pliers and backing it out. Then some filet minion to distract/bribe her. Now when the asshole neighbors fed her something laced with cannabis, then it cost 500$.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
24-pets.jpg

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
This one costs $500. PSA to double check that your tying area is clean. I thought I’d done a good job, but apparently not.

Also, I always debarb, but the new policy is to do so as soon as the hook comes out of the package. Sometimes I’ll stage a few before working with them, which must be how this happened.
View attachment 12730
View attachment 12731
He’ll be fine and I count myself lucky he didn’t ingest it.
Glad your pup is gonna be ok.

While my flytying area is pet-free, it's carpeted and I could easily track in dropped hooks. I try to use one of those magnetic wands that quilter's use to pick up stray needles after each tying session. It's amazing how many times I find a few dropped hooks...which are completely invisible in the dark pile carpeting.

Many years ago our elderly neighbor came knocking at our door, with the news that our German Shepherd had just eaten a large nerf softball...it was the size of a regulation softball.

Called our vet and she said this could be very serious but advised close monitoring and an immediate trip to the vet hospital for surgery if we noticed any signs of distress.

So we basically kept a constant vigil...for about three days....and while watching her trot around the back yard I noticed a bright orange mass starting to protrude out of her ass. She soon gave birth to a completely intact bouncing nerf ball, none the worse for the experience.

Last edited:

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I mistakenly let my Lab gnaw off the ends of corn cob once. He loved them but after two days not eating I took him to the vet. They had him all day just to check him out and get imagery. Finally they confirmed he had a blockage. “What’s your recommendation?” I asked. Surgery, they said. “How much will that cost?” As I recall just about $2000 was the answer. Right on cue, Dodger started wretching and expelled the corn. “Mister Loy, you are a very lucky man.” And I said “I love you dog!”

Best wishes for you and your pooch.

Last edited:

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Yea our Gabby got one in the lip years ago. Ended up holding her down pinching the barb with pliers and backing it out. Then some filet minion to distract/bribe her. Now when the asshole neighbors fed her something laced with cannabis, then it cost 500$.
I tried the DIY method for a minute, but it hadn’t come all the way through the lip, and he was not interested in letting me pop it the rest of the way through. He’s a former street dog from Mexico, so he’s only trusting up to a point, after which he goes into trapped squirrel mode. But man I sure wish I could have coaxed him into letting me!

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I tried the DIY method for a minute, but it hadn’t come all the way through the lip, and he was not interested in letting me pop it the rest of the way through. He’s a former street dog from Mexico, so he’s only trusting up to a point, after which he goes into trapped squirrel mode. But man I sure wish I could have coaxed him into letting me!
Yes it was a while ago but I believe I had access to the barb, otherwise I don't know if I could have got it.

Reactions: NRC

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I worry about this all the time so my pups generally stay locked out of my tying room. One did sneak in and steal a cape once. The wife came home to find it ripped to shreds all over our bedroom. She initially thought a bird had gotten in somehow and met its demise at the hands of one of our dogs.

That cost me about 50 bucks…well I had it for a few months so it was partially used…maybe 35 bucks :).

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
ouch! both for the pooch and the pocketbook.

There's a reason I have all of my tying shit in a room who's door remains closed....

something like this WILL happen....
by6SFvz.jpg