The Last Guide

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Watched it quite a while ago. Highly recommended. CBC Docs has a variety of interesting subjects.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great story. I watched it a couple years back. Reminded me of some of the guides I’ve met in the Canadian Maritimes, specifically Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Great story. I watched it a couple years back. Reminded me of some of the guides I’ve met in the Canadian Maritimes, specifically Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

I have come to believe that Newfoundlander's are the friendliest, most talkative and best story tellers on earth.

Cheers

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have come to believe that Newfoundlander's are the friendliest, most talkative and best story tellers on earth.

Cheers
Agreed, 100%.
Sitting on a rock or rocks, resting a pool with a friend, not just a guide, but someone who has become more, and begin to watch the facial expression start to wind up…with an opening line ending with an …”eh?”.. you’ll know the show is about to begin. The story is never about the self, but about the “they”, or so it seems.
I believe the human ability to tell a story is a direct correlation between a form of physical and mental isolation that enhances one’s ability to communicate in a way that captures the listeners attention and make them part of the story. Henry, who guided on the Codroy and the Barachois would tell stories that lasted two days and I’d think of them on the way south after exiting the ferry in Sydney NS.
I’d ask how far Henry? “Ooo down the rude aboot uh ‘undred yard, nut fur” which would lead to a story about meeting a moose and having to talk his way around it which became…..fill in the blanks.
RIP Henry. I miss you greatly.

cdnred

Life of the Party
Great video and story he tells, he's become a Canadian legend. In my younger years I went canoe tripping many times in Algonquin Park. I haven't been there in the past 30 years but I image that it's become quite congested with tourists, not like when I went in my youth. Like how most places today it requires reservations well in advance to fully experience our park systems..

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Haven't watched this yet but I definitely will when I get the time. Guiding for 76 years. That's absolutely mind blowing to me. Wow.
How many years do you have under your belt Nick? I suppose it'd be hard for you to do a shore lunch on your blue water trips...