The "How was your weekend?" thread...

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not so fun weekend at the beach. Did some remodeling at the family condo that's been stuck in the 70's since, well, the 70's.

Mostly stuck from a decor standpoint, but also functionally to a lesser degree. Grandpa Bud didn't want any changes, but he also wanted it to generate some income. Turns out folks spending a weekend at the beach don't want to pay much to stay in a family museum.

I'm sure there was a better way to do this but a big-ass chisel, with periodic edge honing, was the ticket to shave 40+ years of paint and wallpaper off two concrete BR walls.

Screenshot_20220922-160636_Gallery.jpg

Kinda digging this texture effect, but will have to wait for primer and and paint to see what it really looks like.

Screenshot_20220923-165201_Gallery.jpg

At least I saw a whale during a break!

20220923_152241.jpg

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Posting here vs a traditional Trip Report because no fish were caught.

My wife went backpacking with a friend this weekend so my daughter and I decided to find a last minute cancelation at what has become our favorite State Park. The cabins are cheap, close to home, easy and the fishing is always good.
2022_TMcSweeney_Cottonwood-September-2.jpg

Since my wife wasn't with us, I didn't really fish. I brought and rigged up a 7wt for smallies, but only half heartedly casted while playin with my girl. Most of the weekend amounted to eating snacks, rock hounding and staring at the stars.
2022_TMcSweeney_Cottonwood-September-1.jpg
2022_TMcSweeney_Cottonwood-September-3.jpg

One thing to note was, it was a new moon, and they had a bunch of really expensive telescopes out which you were allowed to look through. The stars were amazing enough, but the telescopes were a real bonus!
2022_TMcSweeney_Cottonwood-September-7.jpg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I laid on a gravel bar and stared at those stars Saturday night myself. They were also striking during my 4 am getup to pee. I camped out with a good friend whom I haven’t hung with in too long, and went looking for coho. Found a few coho, found no biting coho, but did find some pretty decent cutthroat fishing that would’ve been a blast with a 5 or 6 weight which I did not bring.
These pictures make it look damper and cooler than it was. Mostly it was sunny and warm, almost hot. And looooow water. Crazy low.
C43EF380-CA76-4DB7-8D16-5F956CFD57F7.jpeg20EE11C4-2A38-4DC0-B06D-FF82C547778D.jpegF203DD22-13DA-4E24-A5E8-08FBD1A0E107.jpegCBAE8533-BBD8-4B50-8A7B-A2826A873448.jpeg7A6F9FFF-BFCC-4484-B67F-95FAED509E3B.jpeg

4A5D6E97-9E06-41CA-9DB1-F579B9502DEF.jpeg4E8D3ABD-6957-4ECC-B1E5-B0A2F2555EDA.jpegEAA6922E-B356-489C-ADF4-A2C9539E89D3.jpeg

Attachments

• EF05FA28-B801-4FDF-A5F6-C0C33D49AC8B.jpeg
    EF05FA28-B801-4FDF-A5F6-C0C33D49AC8B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I laid on a gravel bar and stared at those stars Saturday night myself. They were also striking during my 4 am getup to pee. I camped out with a good friend whom I haven’t hung with in too long, and went looking for coho. Found a few coho, found no biting coho, but did find some pretty decent cutthroat fishing that would’ve been a blast with a 5 or 6 weight which I did not bring.
These pictures make it look damper and cooler than it was. Mostly it was sunny and warm, almost hot. And looooow water. Crazy low.
View attachment 34156View attachment 34157View attachment 34158View attachment 34159View attachment 34160

View attachment 34161View attachment 34162View attachment 34163

That canoe tarp rig is hilarious.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Coach Potters family post trumps my fishing...but this is a fishing site dammit...great family...cool post...BTW did your friend get the bear?
He did not. We were bale to get up there one more time and didn't see any bears that night. We did however have a wolf encounter that was pretty cool. We didn't bring the spotter in that night or we would have been able to get some pretty cool pics.

G_Smolt

Legend
Still a bit dry here but mushrooms on the mind, I'm sure closer to the coast it's beginning.
6"+ in the last 5 days, 2.5" in the last 24hrs and another 2.5"+ fcst between now and Wed morning...pretty sure that was the last golden harvest of the year. On Saturday alone I walked by about 20lbs of rotting caps with little to no new growth in the vicinity.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Has the coast range gotten any rain? I have my normal 2nd or 3rd week of sept spot I go out there but it’s just been so dry.
It's been pretty dry, I'm on the west side of the coast range in Banks OR and I haven't felt the need to even try to look yet... @G_Smolt I'm guessing your more north then me?

Divad

Whitefish
Saved a few hundred doing my transmission oil change and adding a serviceable filter @ a 2-3 hour job.

Somehow automakers can claim “Lifetime” in the service interval if it’s a 10 year expectancy…

615AC0FD-2F4F-4968-BA21-987B7F2104B4.jpeg

I was told by the mechanic that services these “Lifetime” transmissions this was normal. Gotta love those massive engineering failsafes (magnets).

In before ___ gear lost. 🤞

C12E8E1E-2BB3-41F7-A444-9991F036E50C.jpeg

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Ripped up all the carpeting in the new place, to reveal some not too terrible hardwoods, now deciding whether to replace our refinish. Also started building a good workbench in the shed (a man always needs a good workbench) and the wife started in on refinishing the window trims, prior to actual window replacement.

Oh, and watched the Chiefs game, which started at the ungodly hour of 8:20 PM - I hate Eastern time (n).

Unfortunately, fishing at this time is a bit of an afterthought with all the work to be done around the new place.

cheers

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Also started building a good workbench in the shed (a man always needs a good workbench)
It typically begins with a "workbench," and doesn't stop until you finally have a serviceable workshop. Good luck! . . . and about those window trims, wouldn't it be a preferable sequence to replace the windows first, and then refinish the trim work?